Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 small jpegs degrade

HI
I have a K5 which takes great pics for printing on my epson R1900. But when I make the file smaller like for uploading to the internet the colors get messed up - brings out lots of red and also get sort of a very strong halo effect - ruins the photos cus they don't look anything like the full strength files I print from

11-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which software and procedure are you using to reduce the file size? I don't think this is related to the k5 at all.
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Using PS CS4 extended. in PS I go to File- save as - then jpeg - then select size. I pick the smallest which really is too big (2mg) unless I do it all over again to go smaller. I would love to find out what I am doing wrong. Thx for any help
11-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Using PS CS4 extended. in PS I go to File- save as - then jpeg - then select size. I pick the smallest which really is too big (2mg) unless I do it all over again to go smaller. I would love to find out what I am doing wrong. Thx for any help
I have never had this problem with any version of Photoshop up to my current version of CS3.

Do you see this in CS4 immediately after resizing? Are you converting the profile to sRGB when saving?

11-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like a color space problem -- are you working with AdobeRGB (or ProPhoto RGB) for your prints?
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes I see it right away - no I am leaving it in rgb when saving, actually I',m not sure they give that option I haven't looked. Never had this with my K10 I was using CS4 with the K10 also.
11-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
adobe rbg I don't have this - I don't have a problem with the large file jpegs or tiffs when printing - only thing I have to do is up the exposure 1 stop due to needing my monitor calibrated (too bright) the colors stay true. This only happens when I am going send a small file If anyone wants to see these I will be glad to send an example.

11-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

AdobeRGB -- you don't have this? Sorry, that doesn't really make sense because you definitely *do* have it as an option in both your camera and the Photoshop software, and if you are switching from one color space to another then the colors will go wonky. It is not clear that this is the problem you're having, but is one possibility. Another might be that you need to use a higher-quality jpeg setting and it is simply compressing too much.
11-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
yes I see it right away - no I am leaving it in rgb when saving, actually I',m not sure they give that option I haven't looked. Never had this with my K10 I was using CS4 with the K10 also.

That's pretty strange...I've never ran into a color issue while working in PS. I have had issues viewing outside of PS when I forgot to change the profile.

I have an action that I recorded that converts the photo to 8-bit, sRGB and flattens before saving the image.
11-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Volley- I was looking at some of your horse pics and they are absolutely gorgeous. I am a horse lover and am just starting to take some pics but mostly of Arabs do you have any general tips.
11-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't mean that I didn't have the sRBG option, what I meant to say is that I have not seen it when I save a raw file to jpeg or take a large file jpeg and compress it. I think you may be correct when you talk about overcompression, but all I am doing is saving a
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I didn't finish the reply before I posted. working between two comps one for bus. Any way- I think the over compression issue may be correct. I went back into my files and found that I seem to be able to do OK when I don't go below 500kb. - on another note does proRBG print better than reg. RBG?
11-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

With your Epson printer, you probably won't notice much difference between proRGB and adobeRGB -- and chances are that proRGB (and possibly adobeRGB as well) will be outside the gamut of your monitor (if it cost less than several thousand dollars), so you'll find sRGB or adobeRGB better to work in (you still need a wide-gamut monitor to really do adobeRGB right, but there are models now for $600 or less that are OK, and you can get by with a well-calibrated normal monitor with practice)

The thing that will give you better looking prints on the R1900 is to use the PhotoRPM mode (and turn off all the high-speed functions if they are on). Make two prints with "best photo" and "photo rpm" and look at them under a loupe -- however the color profile will be a bit different for rpm so you've got to calibrate for that. BestPhoto is not bad for many purposes, but PhotoRPM really does look better for fine detail.

Calibrating your monitor/printer/paper choice/color profiles to all work together to make the prints you want is a huge subject...
11-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Start by resizing the file. Make the longest side 1024 pixels. Then save as a JPG (I use '_1024' as a suffix to make it clear what the image is) and you will find you can have a high quality (10) with an acceptable size. What you are doing at present is wildly overcompressing the file but still not making it acceptably small.
11-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
This may be unrelated, and may get the moderator to move this thread to the software section, but should you, or could you change the color to CMYK before output?