Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My one week old (allegedly) K-5 did this the other day, when I was using a very low shutter speed and trying to release gently. Only happened once so far. My K-7 has never done this.

The K-5 is great, but I have to say it's flaky in all sorts of annoying ways. Today my camera started beeping at me every time I tried to take a shot; I had to do a reset. That happened after using an Adaptall lens for about 20 shots; I hope there's no connection, because I love that lens.

Also today, SR just seemed to stop working with my DA 21. The indicator showed it was on, but it either wasn't, and I suddenly developed the shakes, or it was over-acting somehow and inducing shake of its own. Very weird. I was hand-holding much longer focal lengths at near the same shutter speeds with no issues, before and after using the 21mm.

11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had double (or multiple) shots happen with many cameras when pressing the shutter button too gently. My theory is - user error. The gentle push closes the shutter circuit and a shot is taken. And then the finger sort of gives way a little so that the camera is back in "half press mode" and just another tiny movement, and you close the circuit again and the next shot is taken. Some cameras perhaps have more sensitive shutter buttons than others. My K-5 is actually less sensitive than some of my previous models.
11-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
My theory is - user error. The gentle push closes the shutter circuit and a shot is taken. And then the finger sort of gives way a little so that the camera is back in "half press mode" and just another tiny movement,
Nope. Not with mine. My finger was held down, gently, but it was down. I only moved it after the second shot.
And if the issue is an over-sensitive shutter button, that's not user error, that's a design or manufacturing error. I think they've just been sloppy with the thing; the first K-5 I bought and returned had a wobbly, rattly shutter release button. The one I have now is much better, but not as firm as the one on my K-7. It's not my favorite control on the camera, that's for sure.
11-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #19

It happened to me as well a couple of times. First time I thought "oh no, the mirror flop!" but than i realized this is a different problem. Actually it's not really a problem as it only happened a couple of times in a few months. And it's definitely not user error because the camera was in single shot mode, my finger was already up when the second shots were taken and it happened a few shots in a row until I switched off/on the camera. Weird but honestly that's nothing compared to my low light/daylight AF problems my K5 has....Having to switch from a -7 AF adjustment indoor to a +5 outdoor it's not a fun thing to do every time.....

11-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
Inactive Account

My K-5 also takes a double exposure for no apparent reason about every 15-20 exposures. It has got no worse since I bought it 9 months ago but no better either (I had hoped it might go away with use). The "one-push bracketing " is OFF and it happens with both a Tamron 18-250mm and a Pentax 80-320 lens. I never had this problem with two Pentax ist-Ds. Has anyone had this issue diagnosed and fixed under warranty and, if so, what caused it?
11-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Sorry about your K-5, but most members here are most likely to say that there is nothing wrong is k-5, and that quirks that u are experiencing are well within the margin of error of production, and that every camera of every brand have quirks like yours, and frankly all of that is utterly acceptable because k-5 does so well in high ISO situations. I on the other hand think that there is something up with your k-5, and if I were you I will return for a refund. Sorry for ur misfortune, once again. This really should not happen with Japanese products, and Pentax will agree with you.
11-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vicars Quote
My K-5 also takes a double exposure for no apparent reason about every 15-20 exposures. It has got no worse since I bought it 9 months ago but no better either (I had hoped it might go away with use). The "one-push bracketing " is OFF and it happens with both a Tamron 18-250mm and a Pentax 80-320 lens. I never had this problem with two Pentax ist-Ds. Has anyone had this issue diagnosed and fixed under warranty and, if so, what caused it?
Send it in and have it repaired. My guess!... is either failing switch contacts or a problem with de-bouncer circuit. Good tutorial here about de-bounce.
/ikalogic.com/debouncing.php

And then there are the chicken-little`s that know the sky will fall. Then again, they could be right.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-26-2011 at 07:32 PM.
11-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think it is not such a big issue to send it in. It happens verry seldom and I can live with it.

11-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vicars Quote
My K-5 also takes a double exposure for no apparent reason about every 15-20 exposures.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Send it in and have it repaired.
QuoteOriginally posted by cees Quote
I think it is not such a big issue to send it in. It happens verry seldom and I can live with it.
cees, I believe Ex Finn was referring to Vicars' more serious problem, rather than your original post.
11-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Referring to any erratic switch behavior.
11-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Sorry about your K-5, but most members here are most likely to say that there is nothing wrong is k-5, and that quirks that u are experiencing are well within the margin of error of production, and that every camera of every brand have quirks like yours, and frankly all of that is utterly acceptable because k-5 does so well in high ISO situations. I on the other hand think that there is something up with your k-5, and if I were you I will return for a refund. Sorry for ur misfortune, once again. This really should not happen with Japanese products, and Pentax will agree with you.
Don't get me wrong, I love the camera, especially its high-ISO performance and excellent build quality. In fact it's the tenth Pentax SLR I've owned since 1959 (that's fifty-nine!) and I still have nine of them, which speaks for itself. However, maybe I'm naive, but if I pay 1500 bucks for a camera I expect it to work. Having said that, I agree that the occasional double-exposure is no big deal just as long as (a) it's not an indication of something else wrong and (b) it doesn't get any worse. Strangely, when I asked the local Pentax rep about it he said he'd never come across that problem. He obviously doesn't read this Forum! Since lots of people seem to have experienced this, I wonder if anyone's actually had it diagnosed by Pentax and fixed, rather than simply guessing what might cause it?
11-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #27

It takes 2 shots if you release shutter button veery gently, in fact with some practice you can do it with almost any camera
11-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #28

Vicars -- I had this problem with my K5 and sent it in for repair. It became more frequent over time. CRIS in USA replaced the shutter button switch. I haven't had this problem, even 1 time, since the repair. Every 15-20 shots with your K5 is way more then what "cees" and others are having and it's bugging you so I would send it in. Also since it is happening every 15-20 shots it should be easy for service to diagnose weather the cause is your shutter button switch or something else. Your K5 is still under warranty. Your decision - Good luck.

Last edited by jcp5; 11-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.
11-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I wonder if they cut corners with the shutter button the way they did with the lens release button. The first K-5 I purchased, and returned, had a lousy shutter release button.
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Thanx, jcp5, that''s just the info I was looking for - very helpful.