Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Quick Question re: Grip Batteries

Does anyone have any experience with eneloop batteries vs the single battery? Do the eneloops last as long between charges?

Thanks

ROB

11-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't know if I am in the majority, but...

QuoteOriginally posted by atlrob Quote
Does anyone have any experience with eneloop batteries vs the single battery? Do the eneloops last as long between charges?

Thanks

ROB
Don't know if I am in the majority, but it has been my experience that they last as long if not a little longer. I don't use Live View or shoot video much, so I am kind of a miser when it comes to battery usage anyway.
11-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I stocked my grip with eneloops last winter having read they handle the cold much better than the single battery. Huge let-down when the camera switched from grip to body battery after only 15 minutes outside in about -3C degrees. So i really did not get to count the number of shots until back inside and they warmed up. By then I was hardly interested but without specifics, it SEEMED like they gave me about the same number of shots, flash, live view and chimping. Would love to know if others are all getting spectacular performance in the cold so i can try again.
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

I use eneloops in both of my D's as well as my AF360 flash. They are great batteries. The recharge rate of the flash with them is great. If they are not as good or better than the Pentax battery then it must be darned good. I haven't had my K5 long enough to know how good the Pentax battery is.

11-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I stocked my grip with eneloops last winter having read they handle the cold much better than the single battery. Huge let-down when the camera switched from grip to body battery after only 15 minutes outside in about -3C degrees. So i really did not get to count the number of shots until back inside and they warmed up. By then I was hardly interested but without specifics, it SEEMED like they gave me about the same number of shots, flash, live view and chimping. Would love to know if others are all getting spectacular performance in the cold so i can try again.
Sorry for the off topic, but how can you tell when your camera switches to body battery usage? i haven't figured this out..
11-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by larrycook99 Quote
I use eneloops in both of my D's as well as my AF360 flash. They are great batteries. The recharge rate of the flash with them is great. If they are not as good or better than the Pentax battery then it must be darned good. I haven't had my K5 long enough to know how good the Pentax battery is.
I don't think you'll be bothering with the eneloops in the grip. The Pentax battery lasts a good long time. Right this second, I couldn't even tell you where the AA adapter is for the grip (and it takes, 6 of them).

11-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the input. The reason for my question is that I had a KX prior to the K5 and of course I have a number of eneloops so I am trying to determine if I can use what I have instead of buying a second Li battery.

ROB
11-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by atlrob Quote
Thanks all for the input. The reason for my question is that I had a KX prior to the K5 and of course I have a number of eneloops so I am trying to determine if I can use what I have instead of buying a second Li battery.

ROB
You can certainly use them. Being that there are 6 though it'll make the camera quite heavy.