Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New K5 Problem

Its only happened once, but...

While shooting (with a near dead battery), the shutter stayed open, the LCD remained blank/dark and the camera would not turn off with the on/off switch until I had unplugged the grip and removed the in-camera battery.

When I turned it on again, it was fine and shot a photo....

Is this a new problem or have others seen this one as well?

Many thanks for any insight...

C. Durfor

11-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I would not call it a problem but merely the result of the near dead battery. I had the same happen on the K-x once. Except for me the lack of battery power was compounded by freezing temperatures.
11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the locked-up k-5 club. I have had to drop the grip and battery dozens of times over the last year. It got better when I received the 3rd body from CRIS and added the newest firware. Other than that I just always switch from grip to body battery when its low if I am doing any serious shooting. I found no correlation between lock-up and clone batteries or grip/no grip. Also no difference in whether the camera was set to Auto or Grip First/Body First mode for battery selection.
11-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Yup, i too have experienced this a few months back, the in grip battery was almost flat and the mirror would lock up. So had to take off grip remove body battery and then put it back on and turn it on again.

11-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

My D's do the same type of thing when the batteries are low. I don't think it is a cause for concern if you are sure the batteries were low.
11-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you guys using genuine grips or the K-7 Chinese knock-offs?

I have only had this trouble with my grip-attached K-5 and not the one without.

cheers
11-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this happen too. Only once.

Battery power was not low. Frozen and stuck ON (which I thought was weird). I had to take out the battery and put it back in. No problems since (knock on wood).

(edit) Not using a battery grip.
11-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmm.. OK thanks. I thought it was my cheap Chinese battery grip. It's only ever happened with it attached and only with the one body.