Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #1

AF Fine Adjustment, focus correction, AF micro adj., AF fine tuning

A dear child has many names, as we say in danish. In Canon lingo it is called "AF micro adjustment" in Nikonian lingo it is "AF fine tuning" and on the Pentax K-5 datapage https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-5.html&page=2 it is called "Front/Back focus corr" . The datapage on this forum states this: Front/Back focus corr :Yes
On the other hand - as one observant forum member has pointed out - Front/Back autofocus correction is not mentioned at all in the Pentax K5 review. The review at Dpreview.com states that K5 has no such function. The menu system shows no sign of such a function according to Dpreview. I am very keen on buying a K5 but to me a missing Autofocus correction is a deal breaker. Also the specs from Pentax on pentas.com do not mention this function.
However, in the Pentax manual K-5.pdf file, http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf the " AF Fine Adjustment" explains thoroughly how to adjust this on page 126 in the manual pdf version.
An excerpt from this page:

I must say that I am absolutely thrilled, having this information, because I have been agonizing about my decision to buy a K5 if it did not have this function.

Professional reviews seem to tend to subtle bias towards certain brands. After reading DPreviev.com for a few years, it is rather obvious that Canon is their favourite. Adorama favours Nikon. :ugh:
Maybe they should correct this misinformation. There are other sites that also state that the K-5 does not have this function. But maybe there is a reason for this misunderstanding, a new firmware release, or something.
Since I have not yet bought a K-5, could some kind soul please, confirm that the manual is in fact correct, and that the AF Fine Adjustment works just fine.

11-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes AF fine adjustment is available on the K-5.
Why would you doubt the camera operating manual?
11-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As Creampuff says, yes it's there, and will remember 20 lenses.
11-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

And it works very well, just take your time to do that good.

11-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k-5 is far from the first Pentax DSLR to have this function. My 3 yr old k20d does the same.
11-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by annajonna Quote
Professional reviews seem to tend to subtle bias towards certain brands. After reading DPreviev.com for a few years, it is rather obvious that Canon is their favourite. Adorama favours Nikon. :ugh:
Maybe they should correct this misinformation. There are other sites that also state that the K-5 does not have this function.
Now you realized how they became the biggest...

As a side note: in the 60s when the Nikon F was launched, the French Nikon agent distributed for free some of these camera's to the PARIS MATCH reporters. Everywhere they went the public saw them shooting with these shiny Nikons. As PARIS MACH was a leading magazine in Europe, it was a tremendous publicity.
Add to that the presence of these French, and other, reporters, with there free Nikons in the Indochina/Korean war and Leica was on it's way back...
I have to admit that this was a very good strategic mouve!
11-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ahh, thanks guys.
11-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Multiple lenses?

I've used the AF adjustment for the FF on my Sigma 70-200 and I plan to test and adjust for my other 3 lenses. However, I cannot find any instructions for adding adjustments for the other lenses. They are all non-Pentax lenses so I assume they may not be recognized but I don't have any problem naming them as long as I can find the multiple lenses option. I have read the manual and I have tried a second lens but the adjustment for the first lens remains in place until I turn it off manually. I also did a search on this forum. What am I missing?

11-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I've used the AF adjustment for the FF on my Sigma 70-200 and I plan to test and adjust for my other 3 lenses. However, I cannot find any instructions for adding adjustments for the other lenses. They are all non-Pentax lenses so I assume they may not be recognized but I don't have any problem naming them as long as I can find the multiple lenses option. I have read the manual and I have tried a second lens but the adjustment for the first lens remains in place until I turn it off manually. I also did a search on this forum. What am I missing?
You go to the AF adjust menu item. Under it, there are two options. One says something like adjust all -- that is the camera adjustment. The other is adjust one, which should fine tune that individual lens. When you put a different lens on, the camera should set the number back to zero, unless you have adjusted that one too.

Sigma does not always have unique identifiers for their lenses and others have said that the 70-200 and one of their 17-70 lenses use the same number to identify the lens, therefore the camera can't tell the difference between the two lenses and you would have to adjust the lens every time you put it on the camera (or send it to Sigma to get it rechipped).
11-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I had to AF adjust some of my M42 glass today but could not figure out how to save it. Can you only save the adjustment for lenses it recognizes by the contacts? I assumed it won't work for these and I will just have to remember the #s for each lens and plug them in each time I use them?
11-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigkidneys Quote
Can you only save the adjustment for lenses it recognizes by the contacts? I assumed it won't work for these and I will just have to remember the #s for each lens and plug them in each time I use them?
Afraid so, but you could devote some of the user modes to "Adjust All" with a different degree of adjustment for each lens, unless you've already designated your five user modes for other things. Switching into the correct user mode for each lens might not save you much time as opposed to making the adjustment in the menu each time, but it would take the burden off your memory.
11-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
you could devote some of the user modes to "Adjust All" with a different degree of adjustment for each lens,
User modes save AF adjustment settings??? I don't see that in the manual.
11-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Afraid so, but you could devote some of the user modes to "Adjust All" with a different degree of adjustment for each lens, unless you've already designated your five user modes for other things. Switching into the correct user mode for each lens might not save you much time as opposed to making the adjustment in the menu each time, but it would take the burden off your memory.
So if I get this right, for an M42 lens you save a +9 all lenses on one user defined setting and use that User setting for that lens? And, this won't affect the AF setting for the other modes? Possible to save up to six AF settings for M42 (and I presume K mount lenses without electrical contacts), one setting in the normal modes and the five user modes, provided you wanted, or needed 6 AF settings for manual lenses?
11-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
And, this won't affect the AF setting for the other modes?
Any settings you have in a user mode are confined to that mode, by definition.
Best approach is to try it out and see how it works.