Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From K200D to K-5

Hi all.
Today I upgraded to K-5. My trusty old buddy K200D is still going strong and never let me down but I felt that K-5 would just make photography a bit easier and faster. I knew K-5 is great camera and also, I've had an opportunity to be one of the first to try it when it just hit the shelves. Now I can hold it everyday and I must say, it is mind-blowing camera. The exposure is accurate and seems my Sigma 70-200 just got a new life (AF is just so fast and spot on). I checked the firmware and it is 1.01. I do not know wether it is good or not but so far I checked infamous AF in tungsten light and to my surprise, I did not notice any BF/FF (I will test it deeply later). The lens mount button still in its place. The High ISO is just stunning. I love my K200D - it proved being reliable and easy to use camera however while I am happy with it, I ask myself why not to try some fresh and new technologies? That's how the K-5 found the way to my home

11-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Hello Kent!

Looks like great minds think alike, I posted something just like yours just a few minutes before.

Enjoy the camera!
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Forum Member

I went from the ist D and ist DS to a kx and that was mind blowing too. When I shot events with the kx i realized how little post processing or even exposure adjustments I had to do because most photos were that good right out of the camera.

11-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good for you!
I'm using the K-5 for more than one year already and the camera is really great. I still cannot believe so much performance is crammed to such little sturdy package.
11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all! I am really happy Pentax made such a great camera!
11-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #7

I have made the same upgrade from K200D to K5.
What a difference!

But still have some doubts....
I already posted the double shot issue, which is not a big issue but still.
And I think I'm going to miss the Eneloop batteries in my K200D.
They kept working and working and working.
The battery of the K5 is already empty for the first time after 100 shots, but with a lot of testing and settings changes etc.
So I hope that will improve, otherwise I will buy a cheap grip from HongKong and put the Eneloops in there.

Cees

11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi cees, I am going to buy cheap grip too. And yes, Eneloops are versatile but still , you can't blame the battery of K-5 (it's not bad at all). Today I made already my first 100 test shots (the battery still full), nothing bad happen, no malfunctions. I am really happy, the difference is huuuuge (in every way) and image quality is mind blowing. Gotta love K-5, clear winner
Attached Images

11-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I went from the ist DS to the k200d to the K-5, very happy with my decisions along the way. Still use the k200d when I need to use both a long lens and a short lens with no time to switch lenses. I liked using the Eneloops in the K200d and now I use them in the battery grip for both cameras. So with the K-5 I have the best of both worlds, the OEM rechargeable or the Eneloops.
11-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Congrats on the K5.
Its by far the best Pentax DSLR I've used coming from K100D and K7.
Everything is much better.
11-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congratulations; high ISO is indeed stunning; correctly exposed, I'm happy with ISO3200 without PP.
11-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cees Quote
The battery of the K5 is already empty for the first time after 100 shots, but with a lot of testing and settings changes etc.
So I hope that will improve, otherwise I will buy a cheap grip from HongKong and put the Eneloops in there.
Cees
If it does not improve, there's something wrong. Did you charge the battery before you inserted it in the camera for the first time? I took 150 photos last night (RAW+JPG, so 'double' writes) and the battery indicator still says that the battery is full. Never tested it but my feel is that 500 images should be possible without a problem.
11-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If it does not improve, there's something wrong. Did you charge the battery before you inserted it in the camera for the first time? I took 150 photos last night (RAW+JPG, so 'double' writes) and the battery indicator still says that the battery is full. Never tested it but my feel is that 500 images should be possible without a problem.
I've charged the battery untill the green light went out.
And recharged the battery for a longer time (5-6 hours) a couple of days ago, and we'll see what happens the coming periode.
I hope that it was just for the first time...
11-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also just upgraded from K200d to K5

My K5 arrived just yesterday. Bought it as a "demo" body for 699,- EUR, but to me it looks just as if it was never removed from the box. Photo Me says shutter count when arriving was 20. Just updated to the latest firmware and now ready to go and have fun! I have not taken any serious shots yet, but I am surprised how quiet this camera operates! But still I am sure I will not sell my great old k200.
11-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the K-5, I love mine!! I've had the K110D, K200D, K20D and now the K-5. I have to say I enjoyed them all and never had an issue with them. I have had only one issue with the K-5, it locked up. But, I was shooting all day and it was 100 degress F out. I just took the battery out and worked fine ever since.

Enjoy!!!