Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biboun Quote
First, congrats LaurenOE for the great vids, sure the slider helps a lot for cinematographic-like sequences, it perfectly fits the subject you are filming, and gives life to those old buildings. (tehre seem to have small stutterings in some movements, are the movements like that or it's youtube encoding? do you use SR ( stab) when recording? )
Thanks!

Yes, there is definitely some stuttering in some shots!

In some of the shots, I am in 80mph winds, as the remnants of a Hurricane were closing in on the UK. In some shots, I'm tired or had to use a less than perfect take so that no people were in the shot. In some shots, they are chronologically earlier, and my slide technique and familiarity with the slider got better as the trip progressed.

Using a slider is definitely a technique!

You have to setup, take a few takes and then move on. The K5 with it's live view and ability to start and stop the recording with a remote cable helped with some of the shots that are super smooth.

11-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Wait, you own your own metal lathe and mill? You win cool person of the day!

Again, very well done!
Thanks!

I *needed* the Lathe and Mill for little tweeks here and there for my two main passions. Photography and Motorcycles.

Cyclepathic

11-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Thanks!

Yes, there is definitely some stuttering in some shots!
Hi all, long time lurker here, now with a K-5 too and I'm especially interested in this viideo thread, there is loads of useful information in here already.

I can add a word or two on the stuttering, it's probably caused by converting the video in software at some point from what would have been its original 25 fps to what it is now, 24 or 23.976 fps. To do this, the software seems to have removed one frame in 25. This will be most noticeable on the faster pans and shouldn't occur if the video is kept at the original 25 fps (I don't think Youtube mess with frame rates but I could be wrong).

If 24 fps is needed, I think it could still be achieved with no frames removed, by slowing down the frame rate in software from 25 to 24 fps, making sure that all frames are processed. I use Virtualdub for this when working with mjpeg/avi files. The video then runs slightly slower than originally recorded, but this shouldn't be noticeable especially in thiis kind of video.

But if the stuttering does appear in your original files straight from the K5, I'm wrong!!

Last edited by Dave L; 11-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you triangulate you have to support from below the slider track.

You ordered the IndiSlider Mini? Hmm...this is awkward...the quality control on the IndiSlider Mini, and the mods I did to that, are what led the owner to send me his prototype. I even did a webpage about it, and the owner asked me to take it down. We worked out our differences over the phone and he's a good guy.

Are you reading between the lines?

On the flip side, the IndiSlider Mini is rigid enough and strong enough.
I hear you. Thx for the frankness. I'm getting a used one cheap and I'm not setting my expectations too high. And regarding the triangulation, I studied structural engineering in college so I'm thinking about it like a simple beam. Think about it this way...

1. If you put a weight (the camera) on the left end of the slider, that end wants to drop.

2. If the slider is rigid, as the left end drops the right end rises.

3. If you can prevent the right end from rising, you are in effect preventing the left end from dropping.

4. You can prevent the right end from rising with a cable or wire or some other material that doesn't stretch when pulled, i.e. a kevlar string.

5. Do the same thing on the opposite side and you've stabilized the slider

This should work assuming that the slider itself is pretty rigid, i.e., it won't bend when you place a camera on the end of it. The Indislider Mini looks like it will be rigid enough for a lightweight camera like the GH2. I doubt that this technique will work on the prototype you have as it looks like it would be prone to bending.

If you're still in touch with the IndiSlider guy, tell him to give me a hollar. I can give him a crash course in structural engineering...

Thanks!

I *needed* the Lathe and Mill for little tweeks here and there for my two main passions. Photography and Motorcycles.

Cyclepathic

More awesome! I love the ZX-6R. Do you have the 636? I write for RoadRUNNER Magazine and have ridden plenty of bikes. The Kawasakis always have strong motors with some character. Hondas are great, but they're almost too smooth. Kwakkers bark when you spank them!

11-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Here are the pro and cons:
Wow. You should just package up that post and submit it into the blog contest that Pentaxforums is running. That was probably one of the most informative summaries on the K-5's video I've seen

For removing hot pixels in video, get After Effects. You can do it in other software, but AE seems to be essential for video editing software because you can do other crazy effects:
How to remove stuck pixels from video footage - NoFilmSchool
An inexpensive plugin for Premiere Pro is Boris' if you don't want to buy AE:
Image Restoration filter for Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Final Cut Express, and Sony Vegas Pro 10

It does sound like all the problems you've found could be fixed w/ a K-5 firmware upgrade...it's unfortunate they're not doing it
11-11-2011, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #21

thx to Gimbal

dead pixels:I've just tested the Gimbal' trick about hot/dead pixels this afternoon, in low light conditions and...it works ! ( it proves a firmware could make it systematic and reliable)
for those who did'nt read the whole thread: to benefit from pixel remapping in video, just set the k-5 in picture mode, activate the Live view, then switch to video mode, that's it !
Anyway thanks to kenyee for the links, i'll check boris on my old footage with dead/hot pixels, i know how to make it in AE, but i like make everything in premiere rather that switching from a software to another (even if interaction beetween both is very flexible, thanks to adobe)

stuttering:I think Lauren stated it's in the footage, but it could also look like a bad 25->24 conversion, Dave you are right
For those who use premiere, it's pretty simple to make 24 cleanly:

Create a sequence with correct resolution and target framerate ( ie 1920x1080 24 fps progressive-no field )
import you 25 fps footage , right click on it and "interprete footage" , conform to 24, that's all

Like that, all your footage will run 24fps in a 24 fps timeline.Time will be slowed down from about 4% which shouldn't be an issue except if you have to sync live sound from external recorder (you also have to slow down sound and harmonize to keep the tune).
As an info, here in France, and probably same in UK: master Tapes for TV broadcasting or commercial DVDs run at 25, when we do some masters from film material (24 fps in feature films) the conversion is made by running the 24 film footage at 25 ( so movies are broadcasted on tv 4% faster than in theaters).
You US guys have a 24->23.97->(30)29.97 , called a 3:2 pulldown, it's speed conservatie (0.1% difference) but creates additionnal fields.
Blurays and new tvs should harmonize all that stuff with a unique standard at 24 for movies, regular TV programs will keep the localized frequency.

PENTAX: I would like to write an email to pentax/ricoh to sum up all that stuff they could easily fix in video mode so they could compete with Canon on that field.
Are there some ppl interested to join me on that ?
It sounds like Ricoh are better in marketting than pentax was, it would be such cheap developments to bring k-5 to another level of competition (video prosumers)

Last edited by biboun; 11-11-2011 at 03:07 PM.
11-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #22

... it would be such cheap developments to bring k-5 to another level of competition (video prosumers)
+1 , that would be a great "gift" for k-5.

the lack of video controls (mostly shutter speed) is the only thing I highly dislike in k-5. and I'm not considering to buy an alternative camera like GH2 just only for videos like others do.

11-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #23

I have just filmed a music video with my K5 as 2nd camera to a RED mysterium camera with PL mount lenses etc. I found, on viewing on a Mac laptop, the Pentax footage to be as good as the RED, though on the big screen I am not sure how it will fare. i found setting the Iso to 80-800 and using old primes and a modern zoom with manual over ride to be quite adequate. I had to stop down 'WHEN' filming to get a good exposure and DOF, which took 5 seconds of my recorded image. Over all, I prefer it to the 7D for the reasons stated above. You have to remember to use the AElock button though.

Over all I am impressed, though i hope a firm ware upgrade will improve the useability.

Best

Chris
11-28-2011, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #24

I've written my wishlist to pentax, the support seemed interested in such requests...

About k-5 vs Red, i believe you'll feel the real difference when you'll be at the color grading step, cause you'll get much more dynamics in the red Raw footage ( if you used raw)

I would be interested in a footage comparison anyway (k-5 vs red)

I've had the chance to play with some red epic (5k) footage...the quality looks to me like k-5 raw pictures (in terms of adjustments possibilities), but with 24 pictures/second
11-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This one is about Castles.
For some reason, this one is the most popular?!?!
Great videos, I really like them and you must be very talented!

So, you may want to know that except Part I, your youtube videos got blocked for large parts of the world.

In part II it says that Germany's GEMA has filed a copyright infringement notice for music on behalf of UMG (Universal Music Group).

In part III it says that Germany's GEMA has filed a copyright infringement notice for music on behalf of SME (Sony Music Entertainment).

This made Youtube block the content within Germany to limit their legal risk which ultimatively is yours. You're lucky UMG and SME didn't sue you personally (yet). AFAIK, Youtube and Google don't share the identity of uploaders with the music industry. But you never know ...

There are many sources of royalty-free music and we in Germany have been really forced to make use of them.

I thought I let you know. Because your videos are too good to be blocked due to music royalty claims

On another topic: DR in K-5 video

I never measured it. But theoretically three things are to be considered:
- The sensor has low read-out noise and this property is preserved in video. Dark areas look noise free.
- DR is lowered by what is known as line skipping (only a fraction of pixels are used in video). All dSLRs suffer from it, so better start with a good sensor ...
- DR is greater than what JPG can capture. But video is compressed to JPG (K-5) or worse if a dSLR only offers AVCHD. The K-5 adjusts a property called "black level" to the ISO level. This means that you cannot arbitraily boost dark areas in video post-processing. They don't become noisy but simply stay black. So, if you need great DR in video, use EV compensation, a strong shadow preservation effect and lower the contrast. This gives you a greater latitude in video post processing, possibly greater than most other camera's hardware would allow.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-28-2011 at 08:29 AM.
11-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

So, you may want to know that except Part I, your youtube videos got blocked for large parts of the world.

In part II it says that Germany's GEMA has filed a copyright infingement notice for music on behalf of UMG (Universal Music Group).

In part III it says that Germany's GEMA has filed a copyright infingement notice for music on behalf of SME (Sony Music Entertainment).

This made Youtube block the content within Germany to limit their legal risk which ultimatively is yours. You're lucky UMG and SME didn't sue you personally (yet). AFAIK, Youtube and Google don't share the identity of uploaders with the music industry. But you never know ...

There are many sources of royalty-free music and we in Germany have been really forced to make use of them.

I thought I let you know. Because your videos are too good to be blocked due to music royalty claims
What's funny is that YouTube has the copyright wrong as to who is the performer!

I have no idea how their algorithm works.

Whats also funny is that in another video I have posted out there, I actually tried to get permission and wrote to the folks that manage the Black Eyed Peas. I never heard anything. Little folks like me, even when they try to get permission are ignored. Since none of my videos are monetized, it doesn't make much sense.
11-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Thanks!
11-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

What's funny is that YouTube has the copyright wrong as to who is the performer!

Whats also funny is that in another video I have posted out there, I actually tried to get permission and wrote to the folks that manage the Black Eyed Peas. I never heard anything. Little folks like me, even when they try to get permission are ignored. Since none of my videos are monetized, it doesn't make much sense.
Hi,

Your videos haven't been taken down, so probably, nobody has filed a copyright infringement claim. Otherwise, Youtube would have taken them down immediately and placed a strike against your channel. Three strikes and you're out, but all three videos can still be viewed from at least the UK, US and France (I've been able to check those three).

The videos must have been picked up as automatic Content Identification matches - and blocked in Germany but allowed in some or all other Countries. I've noticed on my YT channel that rights holders in Germany are much more strict on blocking videos there than for most other Countries. You do not get any strikes for Content ID matches so don't panic!

You can check yourself on your channel which Countries your videos are blocked in (Content ID matches section). Apologies if you already know all this!
11-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Probably like the Shazam app for the iPhone. All they need is a clear 5-10 second sample which they then can compare to their database of samples. It's freakishly effective.
11-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
I've noticed on my YT channel that rights holders in Germany are much more strict on blocking videos there than for most other Countries.
Thanks for the interesting info.

In Germany, there is an organization called GEMA https://www.gema.de/en/home.html which collects license fees for the industry. They prefer flat rate models and redistribute their revenue among license holders. Their current battle is with Google which they try to sign such a flat rate agreement. This may explain why they put so much effort behind controlling. There is no way to have an individual agreement with a musician. Except if he isn't under any contract.

But be carefull. Better stay out of GEMA's legal reach, they actually do bite! I know of shops and bars which had to pay large fines due to not licensing the music they play... I don't know what GEMA is doing internationally. Theoretically, they could sue everybody if they stream unlicensed content into Germany which they automatically do via the internet (and Youtube tries to block for a reason).