Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Diopter control

Does anyone else find the diopter slider a bit fiddly?
I don't need to wear glasses all the time but still want to have the diopter optimised for my eyes but I find the eye piece rubber cup tends to interfere with the adjuster and that the adjuster itself seems quite tight so hard to get fine setting on it.

11-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is fiddly. I adjust it so that it fits my eyes sans glasses and leave the glasses in my camera bag.
BTW, it helps removing the eye cup when adjusting.
11-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I might have to pull off the rubber, only got the camera yestersday and have handled it with kid gloves so far.
As an aside have tried one of those enlarging eye pieces? I think it's Pentax part number ME 53.
11-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My old oly dslr had the nob on the side of the viewfinder that was regularly moved out of position when I pulled it out of my camera bag. The K5, once set, has never needed adjustment.

The OME53 works well. I use manual focus lenses and it helps. With glasses you can see the exposure information at the bottom just fine. It is 1.2x magnification; there are a couple of after market ones that magnify a bit more and have good reviews. Some are better with glasses than others.

Look at the accessory reviews on this site. It is an invaluable resource.

11-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I'll take a look. Is the OME53 a part I can fit myself without effecting warrenty? Or is it a technician job?
11-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Very easy to change. Slides on and off. I kept the original somewhere I remember in case I had to send the camera in for service.
11-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great. Thanks for your help. I'll see if I can order one online.

11-12-2011, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Super easy to fit...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Thanks for that. I'll take a look. Is the OME53 a part I can fit myself without effecting warrenty? Or is it a technician job?
The OME53 is very easy to fit and should not affect the warranty. Simply pull off the stock rubber and slide the OME53 with its own rubber into place. Note that you should only be removing the stock rubber piece that is a snap on fit - nothing more. You will not be removing any of the glass on the stock eyepiece. The OME53 slides in over the stock glass.
11-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool, sounds easy.
11-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Great. Thanks for your help. I'll see if I can order one online.
It was the first thing I purchased for my K-7 and now have migrated it to the K-5. It also moves your schnozz away a bit from the screen and so makes peering through the finder a bit better.

Greetings
11-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The OME53 works well. I use manual focus lenses and it helps.
A side benefit of it is that it's much easier to reach the diopter adjustment when the OME53 is on than it is with the supplied eye cup.
A problem for me with both of them though is they let too much light in from the bottom; maybe it's just a peculiarity of the way I hold the camera, or maybe I have a weird face, but I wish there were rubber on all four sides.

Correction: I should have said "more rubber" on all four sides. I think my deep-set eyes and rather large nose aren't well suited to the camera. I have a devil of a time getting my eye positioned correctly. It's actually easier for me to focus and see the whole viewfinder with my left eye, but that isn't practical because then my nose blocks the AF button and the green button.

Last edited by pentup; 11-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.
11-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have not noticed that problem with the stock one so far. My problem with any SLR type camera is that as I'm a left hander my master eye is also the L) one. So it's the one I put up to the viewfinder which means more of my face goes against the body.