Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The difference of a few generations of DSLR's

So on Remembrance Day (south of the 49th parallel it's known as Veterans Day) I was lucky enough to get to shoot the local parade with a K100D as opposed to using my cell phone as my wife took our K-5 to visit family. Armed with only the kit 18-55 (should have opted for the 50-200 since it was available). I was quite happy how most of the shots turned out, I found the old K100D to be nice and light and easy to use.. honestly I found the AF in the decent lighting to be very comparable to my K-5 w/ 18-135.. I found that fairly disappointing honestly. You would think that 4-5 years of development gap could have done more. I was waiting for lots of hunting and OOF shots, they just didn't happen.

The menu system and such has developed nicely along I love my K-5's menu system and the old K100D showed the ground work had been going on for generations of the K-series. Not being familiar with the K100D prior this, and only having about 2 minutes before the parade started to get acquainted.. I was still able to find the things in the menu and adjust them to my liking fairly easily.. Basic menu systems are definitely a strong part of the Pentax user interface. So other than trying to figure out where to adjust the ISO using the D-pad on the back (had to ask for that one.. too used to 2 e-dials) I found everything fairly intuatively.

To think that the K-r is this light and at 12.4MP and good with low light shooting I can see why so many people love their K-x/r's. I love my K-5 and the weight doesn't bother me, but there are some instances where packing around a feather of a camera would be nice. I hope the K-r's successor gets the Sony sensor that's in the K-5 now.. other than cutting into the K-5's sales I see no reason they can't after they release the K-5's successor!

So I'm wondering what K-series some of you may have used and the biggest/best upgrades/features stuck out in your mind?

Last edited by Chex; 11-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.
11-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember when the K10D first camera out- it was a very special occasion because it was so far ahead of the previous bodies: not only did it boast a higher resolution, but it started the precedent of having dust removal, weather-sealing, and shake reduction. Definitely a huge step up from the *ist series.

BTW, I think you meant to say "successor" and not "predecessor" above- would suck if they just started producing the old bodies again

Two things that I miss are a non-crippled mount and TTL flash- but I guess going the extra mile to be 100% backwards-compatible isn't really part of a modern business model.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.. I edited out that brain fart maneuver..

I remember reading a magazine about how the K10 was going to be a game changer in the industry.. and I still remembered it even though at the time a DSLR was not anywhere on my radar at the time.. But it did stick with me.
11-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I was quite happy how most of the shots turned out, I found the old K100D to be nice and light and easy to use.. honestly I found the AF in the decent lighting to be very comparable to my K-5 w/ 18-135.. I found that fairly disappointing honestly. You would think that 4-5 years of development gap could have done more.
I think part of this disappointment is caused by the hype that is built up by techno geeks and review web sites that always seem to imply that newer is better. Some want to make you buy and others are so happy when receiving their new toy that it can only be MUCH better than their previous one. But cameras are not computers. Newer is not always better and when it is, it is most often by a small margin. When I compare IQ from my K200D and K5, I cannot find much difference most of the time and on some occasions, I prefer the output from the old one. We have to learn not to expect too much and to take reports from over enthusiastic users with a pinch of salt. There will be some improvements, but they will come very gradually.

11-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the difference from the K100D to the K-5 is night and day, But I have shot a K-7 and a K-x as well, but only for a moment.. nothing too prolonged like the 2 hours with the K100D.
11-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I miss ... non-crippled mount
Adam, do you the mount in the K-5 is "crippled"?

What does that mean for K-5 owners?
11-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Adam, do you the mount in the K-5 is "crippled"?

What does that mean for K-5 owners?
It means what you must not forget to press the green button before you shoot when using an M or K lens. If the mount was not crippled, you would not have to do anything. The body would detect the aperture setting of the lens.

11-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have just moved from a k100d to a kx. The main difference I have found (and I've only been using the kx a few times) is the shutter speed and low light shots are much better. I'm shooting manual lenses at the moment and much of my k100d action shots come out blurred. On the kx I've managed to get some great clear action shots which I didn't believe were possible - or at least I have yet to get a similar picture out of my k100d.

I also notice the colour rendering is different on the kx. Images seem more 'real' or 'lifelike' compared to the k100d. That's not to say the k100d is bad - I still love this camera. I just notice that images seem to pop in a different way with the kx.