Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah if it works, which it does that's the main thing. There is a principle involved though, I could have saved $200 by getting from another shop which told me upfront it was a display model but instead accepted the extra cost to get this one which was supposedly'new in box'.
Bit like getting a car that's had the speedo wound back.

11-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry, the shutter is good for at least 100.000 actuations.
11-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron, I guess you're missing the point. If you order a brand new car (basically straight from the factory) and find that it has 2000km on the clock when you take delivery, would you accept it? It does not matter that it is rated for at least 100000km, you ordered a brand new car and you did not get it. I would definitely question why the milage is that high.
11-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Shutter count is different than actual photo count...
Care to elaborate so I can understand the difference?

I know that the image number does not match the shutter count under some conditions (image number can be higher).

11-23-2011, 03:26 AM   #20
Inactive Account

the image count can never be higher than shutter count. the image count will roll over at 9999. the shutter count can not be altered.
11-23-2011, 04:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The image number can be higher than the shutter count. So what is image count?

The camera will use the highest number of the following
* last photo taken with the camera
* last photo stored on the card.

Example
You have a K5 with 4000 photos on the clock (image name of last photo is IMGP4000) and it's still on the card.
Buy a second K5 with shutter count 0, insert the card from the first K5 and take a photo; the image name will be IMGP4001.
11-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Well that would explain why my shuttercount matches my photocount, I always reformat my card before taking a photo and I got it from day 1 so it matches and will continue to match until 9999,
I agree with you on principle if you can return it then return it, if its too much trouble then I wouldn't worry about it in the overall scheme of things its only 2%
11-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Well that would explain why my shuttercount matches my photocount, I always reformat my card before taking a photo and I got it from day 1 so it matches and will continue to match until 9999,
Till you send it in for a service and they stick another card in That's when mine jumped a few 1000

11-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
On my camera the filename seems to match the shutter count exactly... so my shuttercount is 6955 and the filename in the preview display says 100-6955.
Also mine came wiht a shutter count of 0 (i checked my first photo it was 1).
--- but when you reach 9999 you start all over again from 0001. (I have passed that border four times now with my K200D). Photo ME or any similar EXIF-editor/reader will give you the correct answer.

And, as said above: Shutter Count is different from Image Count. As times goes and you have deleted more and more pictures in your camera, that will become noticeable.
11-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The shutter count is exactly that, the number of times the shutter has been cycled. Examples:

- You go outside, tripod your camera, set LV on, forgot to set some settings, you turn LV off to access some settings, LV back on, you take a snap. (Shutter count went up 2 for only one snap).
- You use in camera HDR (3 actuations are counted but photo number only increments one).
- Dust on your sensor and you use the sensor cleaning option, this counts as an actuation.

11-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks; makes sense.
11-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Well I may just have to wear it as I cannot prove I did not put those shots on. Better chance had I known how to check it from day one.
Shop says it was 'in the box' never on the display.

Wholesaler/service centre says they never ship with more then 200 on it from factory testing.

Assuming the full 200 from factory and a very generous estimation that I've added another 500 to it, that still only comes to 700 and it's close to 1900. Hardly an insignificant discrepency.
Morning,

Well, yes you can prove the shutter count on the body. If you have saved all your images, just go back to the first one and use PhotoMe on it - to see the shutter count. You can also use the date and time on the image to correlate the image with the shutter time, and when the unit arrived. If you are like most, you charged the battery and ran out to take a picture.....

Also, in PhotoMe, there is a search field down at the bottom - just type in shutter count and it will take you to the field.