Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
so can you please confirm that Nikons from that era had the same functionality.
Why should I? The OP is talking about buying a D7000, not a camera from "that era." I don't give a rat's eyeball about "copying" -- who "invented" aperture priority, or shutter priority? Who the hell cares? My point is the TAv functionality could have been implemented simply by making M mode consistent with the other modes, that is, by letting the user quickly choose auto-ISO for it on demand; instead they chose to use a space on the mode dial for it. It was smart, I suppose, because perhaps it's easier to present it to users as a mode of its own, instead of having to explain "you can have traditional full manual metering, or you can make the manual a little less manual by letting the ISO adjust automatically." But I would have preferred consistency with the other modes.

(funny thing: On the K-5, in TAv mode, what happens if you press the ISO button? Nothing, of course, because the whole point is to let the ISO float. The button becomes useless. But on the K-7, weirdly, if you press that button while in TAv a mysterious number appears in the veiwfinder where the ISO normally is displayed. It took me a while to realize that that number indicated the number of shots I had remaining on my SD card. They removed that odd, inconsistent feature with the K-5, but it clarified for me what bothers me abouit TAv: they could have simply let the ISO button do in M mode what it does in Av mode: let the user over-ride auto-IS0 at any time, and go back to using it just as quickly -- or never use it at all, and keep manual metering "pure." Then there'd be no need for a seperate "mode" at all for the TAv behavior.)

Anyway, I believe using auto-ISO with the Nikons in M may involve entering a menu to switch it on and off, so Pentax's TAv mode is more convenient, but not by much.

Last edited by pentup; 11-19-2011 at 05:21 PM.
11-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I believe the D7000 has a similar feature, they just don't market it as a distinct mode: in Manual metering mode, you can set auto-ISO if you want, just as you can with other modes. That seems to do essentially the same thing that TAv mode does with Pentax. (And I wish Pentax had simply done it that way themselves, just letting us turn auto-ISO on and off while in M mode -- but I guess they couldn't resist being able to market a feature with a nice new name and pretending it's unique, when it's really not.)
Why should I?
Because it might very well have been unique in 2006 (and that is what I want to know). So why not market it as such if it was unique.

Anyway, I believe using auto-ISO with the Nikons in M may involve entering a menu to switch it on and off, so Pentax's TAv mode is more convenient, but not by much.
If you're right, even nowadays