Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And the winner is ............ Pentax K5!

Battle of the Flagships: Olympus E-5, Pentax K5, Canon 7D, Nikon D300s: Which is Better? at The Phoblographer

Was compared to Olympus E-5, Canon 7D and Nikon D300S and came out on top, and this from a Canonite!

11-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yay Pentax!
11-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do we remember this ad from a year ago?

Edit-- oops, wrong one. Was looking for the one with the DxO scores where the K-5 creamed the 700d and 5dmk2.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No Adam, that is the right one! At that price the K5 is 'The Winner'!

11-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sweet!

I agree, the K5 is a excellent machine.
11-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Battle of the Flagships: Olympus E-5, Pentax K5, Canon 7D, Nikon D300s: Which is Better? at The Phoblographer

Was compared to Olympus E-5, Canon 7D and Nikon D300S and came out on top, and this from a Canonite!
Sorry, it didn't quite win.

QuoteQuote:
Conclusions

The overall winner of this competition will go to the Pentax K-5 when Pentax finally fixes the sensor issues. At the moment though, it is being handed to the Canon 7D.
11-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Sorry, it didn't quite win.
I think that was for the stains yes?

11-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #8

I don't know if anyone else took note of what Chris Gampat said... "Pentax cameras are good, but Canon L glass can blow Pentax's out of the water"

Sounds like he hasn't ever heard of the FA31/43/77
11-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
I don't know if anyone else took note of what Chris Gampat said... "Pentax cameras are good, but Canon L glass can blow Pentax's out of the water"

Sounds like he hasn't ever heard of the FA31/43/77
I think Canon has earned a reputation as one of the greatest lens manufactures today though I have no idea how it rates against the Pentax ltds or some of the finer legacy glass. - might make an interesting series of tests.
11-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think Canon has earned a reputation as one of the greatest lens manufactures today though I have no idea how it rates against the Pentax ltds or some of the finer legacy glass. - might make an interesting series of tests.
I have the Canon 35 1.4 L lens. It’s an amazing lens, but has some serious CA at times and it cost $1300. It’s hard to compare the two, they are so different. I would take a 31 or a 43 limited any day on a Pentax Full frame over the Canon L glass.
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
This is just sheer prejudice, on par with comments I used to hear back in the eighties about Nikon being the "gold standard" (meaning superior in all ways to everything else). Most people I've run across with extensive experience using the top lenses from both systems prefer Pentax glass. And some of the images I see at local exhibitions taken with Canon L glass, though very good, don't quite measure up to even what I've gotten from some of Pentax's vintage glass. There's more to a lens then mere resolving power and accuracy of color reproduction or how well it performs on numerical tests.
11-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's not just about the resolving power of the lens, but the whopping gaps in the Pentax lens line up not to mention well-documented SDM problems and noisy screw driven models is what gives Canon and Nikon the edge.

I've said this before; it all depends on what you want / need from a camera system. Some of the Canikon primes are absolutely unbeatable in terms of flexibility and resolving power, particularly on full frame. The 17mm TS and 24mm TS have virtually no distortion, some of the best resolution figures I've seen and the ability to correct for tilt distortions in lens which makes them two of the best landscape lenses available. Regarding other primes, the 14L, 24L, 35L, 85L, 100L, 135L and 200L are also awesome; although the 85L at less than f/2.8 on full frame isn't so good in the corners (you'd be bokeh'd out anyway).

Just to reiterate however, it all depends on your needs and requirements as a photographer .
11-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

I agree with the last entery. I have heard fron Nikon and Canon users that the Pentax 50MM would be a lens they would love to use. To determine the best, you first have to define what best means. I have seen two identical images taken by the same photographer, one with a Canon and L glass and the other from a Leica. The Leica looked better, but how much quality do you really need in a picture. The Canon image looked great, even against the Leica image. Pentax would also look great, and most people who know very little about photography, won't be able to tell them apart.
11-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
It's not just about the resolving power of the lens, but the whopping gaps in the Pentax lens line up not to mention well-documented SDM problems and noisy screw driven models is what gives Canon and Nikon the edge.
Yes, there are gaps in Pentax lens lineup, but it's a bit of an exaggeration to call them "whopping." Many of these gaps are in the very expensive lenses, such as the fast wide angles, the supertelephotos, and tilt-shit lens, most of which cost more than Pentax's most expensive lenses. When you throw in third party alternatives and used glass, the gaps close even more.

The SDM problems, however regrettable, have nothing to do with the quality of the optics in Pentax lenses. As for "noisy" screw drives, well, there are both costs and benefits associated with having focusing motors in lenses. On the internet some people are warning against purchasing the Canon 200mm f1.8 lens because Canon has run out of focusing motors for this lens and if your motor breaks down (and they do eventually), you can't get it replaced. The "noisy" screwdrive lenses are likely to have a longer lifespan than silent motorized glass. Ten, fifteen years from now we may find quite a few manual focus Canon and Nikon AF-S lens being offered up on ebay. Meanwhile, those of us who are not uptight about a little noise will be still using and autofocusing are "noisy" screwdrive lenses.
11-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Yes, there are gaps in Pentax lens lineup, but it's a bit of an exaggeration to call them "whopping." Many of these gaps are in the very expensive lenses, such as the fast wide angles, the supertelephotos, and tilt-shit lens, most of which cost more than Pentax's most expensive lenses. When you throw in third party alternatives and used glass, the gaps close even more.
Any "gap" should be based on personal need. My own assessment is that I can put together a Pentax kit that suits me for less money than a Nikon kit. More affordable weather-sealed lenses and IBIS are factors.

Also a 12-24 f/4 seems plenty wide and fast to me, and there doesn't seem to be anything wider/faster for Nikon DX.
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Meanwhile, those of us who are not uptight about a little noise will be still using and autofocusing are "noisy" screwdrive lenses.
How audible is screw drive noise to other people, and at what distance?

Jeff