Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 Dust on Mirror

I see spots through view finder and I used a blower to clean the mirror. One big spot is disappeared but still see few smaller ones. Any suggestions on how to get it clean? Thanks.

11-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I see spots through view finder and I used a blower to clean the mirror. One big spot is disappeared but still see few smaller ones. Any suggestions on how to get it clean? Thanks.
Most folks would advise you to just leave it if it's not showing up in photos, and it's not if it's on the mirror. But if you're anal like me, you won't be able to stand seeing those spots every time you look through the VF. Make sure it's not on the focus screen, and it's probably not, but just remove that with tweezers (by the tab, only) and blow it off really well. Before you replace it, hold the camera face down and put the bulb blower tip as near to the mirror as you safely can without touching it and give it a few forceful squeezes. If that still doesn't do it and you you just can't live with it, you'll have to risk touching the mirror. The folks at photosol.com have products that will allow you to do this safely.

There are people here that swear up and down that it's okay to use canned air inside your camera. You can try that at your own risk, but that's not my advice.
11-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I strongly recommed against canned air since it can leave a residue that's hard to remove.

In all likelyhood the dust is on the focusing screen. Since you can't blow it off it could be on the top side and you'll have to flip it down as DogLover explains and blow the dust off. Dust can get stuck in the tiny crevices in the focusing screen and be hard to remove.
11-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
As I do not want to take any chances with the equipment, would a local camera shop be able to help me? Any experiences? I live in Bay Area.

11-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

I used this kit on my k-x and it was a snap. IK2 Photographic Solutions Digital Survival Kit #2 for Nikon D1/H/X, D100, Canon D30/60 & 10-D and Other Similar Digital Cameras Put it in sensor-cleaning mode, a drop of fluid on the wand, 1 swipe, done. Took 20-30 seconds, maybe.
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can see the spot in the viewfinder, then you have something on the viewfinder (focus screen or bottom of prism).
You will NEVER see a dust speck on the mirror by looking through the viewfinder.
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevePrime Quote
I used this kit on my k-x and it was a snap. IK2 Photographic Solutions Digital Survival Kit #2 for Nikon D1/H/X, D100, Canon D30/60 & 10-D and Other Similar Digital Cameras Put it in sensor-cleaning mode, a drop of fluid on the wand, 1 swipe, done. Took 20-30 seconds, maybe.
To clean the mirror or the sensor?

11-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Dust on viewfinder are likely on your focusing screen(which can be cleaned) but it can be quite a challenge to get spotless. There is also the possibility that you got dust on the prism, though it doesn't seem as common as on the focusing screen. - Whatever you do, don't try and wet wipe the screen, it doesn't respond well to that type of thing.

As for the mirror, you can easily wet wipe it with some sensor solution on a swab. Which I usually include in my regular maintenance process.
11-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you can see the spot in the viewfinder, thenyou have something on the viewfinder (focus screen or bottom of prism).
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You will NEVER see a dust speck on the mirror by looking through the viewfinder.
Agree with you, any dust you can see in the OVF is on the focus-screen (top or bottom) and or bottom of prism (right above focus screen). Now we know that blowing air in these areas is highly likely to introduce more dust; make things worse. Moreover a couple problems. I did learn in the school of hard knocks to be very, very careful with the delicate etched (on one side micro channel soft plastic focus-screen. I ruined two! But practice makes perfect and I have not ruined one in years.Also given the fact we don't really want to blow air at the bottom of the prism or even top of focus screen (if its hanging down) then how to clean it?

Well the only company I know that makes products just to clean this area is Visible-Dust, they should pay me as much as I talk of them; but I have no connection. I have just used their products and they flat out work and are easy to use. Some one on the other forum recommended it and he was right! The products are a bit pricey but my kit has paid for itself over the last 4 years or so. I bought the Arctic Butterfly Travel kit with the "spinning brush"and two sets wet swabs (sensor and corners), special cleaning fluid, and case. I then added the focus-screen mirror brush. This is all I have needed to never have to see spots in my OVF or spots on my sensor. I use only one brush for the sensor and one for the mirror chamber/mirror/focus-screen. This prevents any cross contamination to the sensor. Plus the brush is curved to make cleaning the bottom of the prism easy.
Yes I am speaking highly of them, but I don't know any other company that sells everything you need to clean all areas in your camera, safe for air travel, and needs no supplies for a long time. I do have to clean the brushes after about 15 uses of each using special fluid from Visible Dust. But the fluids last years as you only need drops at a time and with a dry brush for the sensor and focus-screen its not often I wet clean.

Please take note for some using a bulb blower works, for some environments as mine it does not work so well and ofter blows in more dust.

BTW Visible Dust makes wet swabs for the focus screen that are safe, work and relatively cheap. And yes I was/am anal to when it came to dust, hair, blobs in my OVF. I paid a lot to have a nice camera and did not want to look through a window with stuff all over it.

Last edited by jamesm007; 11-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.
11-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

It is true that the mirror and the focusing screen are probably the most delicate parts of the mirror chamber and can be easily ruined. It is also true dust can be removed from there without even the slightest chance of damage.

Please remember any dust you find there was not attached to any of those surfaces with some sort of an applicator. This dust, at one stage, was actually floating around inside the chamber, floating because it is very light and small in volume. So if it floats like a feather it settles on the surface like a feather, do not forget this fact. The only thing it holds it there is surface tension and static and that can vary depending on the makeup of the dust. So if it is as light as a "feather" it can be removed with a "feather" if you understand what I mean.

There is one proviso; If you place the camera pointing to the sky with the lens mount open crap will find its way inside the camera which could be more than just fluff.

The reason you cannot remove the offending dust with the rubber ball blower is this:
The strength of air coming off the end of the blower is actually very weak. You will need a concentrated jet of air pointing directly at the dust. This is next to impossible because the nozzle end of the blower dances wildly in all directions as you squeeze the ball. Also to mess around with blown air in these parts of the camera is not a very smart thing to do. You will blow more dust into than out off this part of the mirror chamber. In fact I do not like blowers at all, the never remove dust but relocate it - always! I have my blower deposited in the little round filing cabinet under the desk

So how do you safely remove the crap. Simple. Buy from an art supply shop a very very soft artists brush. (Nylon perhaps as this will hold a small static charge) They have them, some are so soft you couldn't tickle a flea with it. But make sure the brush is not "sized".

Don't forget that dust can't be seen if it is on the mirror surface so you don't really need to clean there.
Now gently without bearing down brush over the focusing screen from left to right (or from right to left) in one pass and the offending matter will be gone. It will be stuck on the brush. If you feel the need to go over a second time don't be tempted to flick the brush with your fingers, it will pick up oil or sweat from you skin and this will be transferred to the surface of the screen and then you will be in trouble. Instead flick the brush with sharp movements over a pencil or such. (Did I say clean pencil?)

There is no way there will be any damage left behind. It is simply not possible to do damage with a very soft brush.

If the dirt is of an oily nature like Salami or Cheese, (Just kidding) or sticky pollen then the above method will not work, You will have to remove the screen and wash it, but this will be another story. I can walk you trough this also if you are interested.

Greetings