Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The sound you hear....

.... is my MasterCard crying.

No, I didn't buy more shoes (yet). I just 'bought' a K5 after relying on my *istDL since 2006. I say 'bought' because the local camera shop I patronize has only one on order, and they are unable to tell me when it actually will be at the store. They're thinking it may be delayed if there's a possibility of it coming out of Thailand, what with the flooding. And considering the instant rebate ends on November 30th, I needed to make a decision. So what do I have to show for the assault on my credit card? A receipt.

Oh, well.

11-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rebate ends in January, actually (they extended it)! Why didn't you just buy online at B&H? No sales tax, and you'd have your camera on Monday

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The rebate ends in January, actually (they extended it)! Why didn't you just buy online at B&H? No sales tax, and you'd have your camera on Monday
Some people prefer to keep local businesses in business?
11-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Let's get them to stock Pentax gear, then!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax doesn't manufacture in Thailand, so that isn't a concern. The countries Pentax uses are Vietnam (mainly), Philippines (not sure if they still do, think they did at one time), and of course Japan.
11-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wheatfield is right: I like to support local businesses as much as possible. If you really want to use your imagination, I've been a customer of Dodd Camera since before my parents met and I was conceived: my late father was also an amateur photographer and a faithful Dodd Camera customer. Besides, the cost of the sales tax is well worth the extra/personalized customer service I will receive.

@Adam: They must have just extended the rebate because when they double-checked the expiration date, it was still November 30th.
11-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Let's get them to stock Pentax gear, then!
Is that narrow minded or short sighted

11-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just want to point out that in many states, shopping online does NOT preclude you from paying sales tax. That includes Arizona, Ohio and NY. In fact, Last I checked, only 5 states don't require you to report Sales & Use Tax.

As to getting local camera stores to stock Pentax, that's not only up to the stores. Shelf space at many stores is at a premium and business owners will not push a product without support from the manufacturer. That actually would require Pentax to get off their tush and push for shelf space at stores, provide marketing backing, and attend more photography events, not just the national events.