Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

3rd time the charm?

It's been at least 10 months since I last tried the k5 ( second body in a row) before I switched to the D 7000. I was itching to try again with a K5 and with the generous return policy from amazon I pulled the trigger again on a used one. First observations:
Anticipation thrill was high!
Shutter count was 0! Firmware 1.01. Not sure of the serial. I did not check for spots on the sensor.
Put the DA 70 on, great to have in body SR with these pretty primes! That's one thing I am not crazy about the Nikon, probably anything over 50mm needs VR and only a few lenses have it.
Ergonomics are great, nice little things such as saving tha last picture as RAW if needed.
AF - ah, the big thing. No major FF issues but a little hesitant. I took the same indoor pics with both, the K5 needs work to get it tack sharp and it may not always be possible. The D7000 is, well, effortless ...outdoors with good light the K5 does very well.
I really wonder whether the lenses make all the difference in AF. All my Pentax lenses are screw-driven while only a couple of Nikon are. I have an order for the 18-135 and I am curious to see
So, obviously some redundancy here ( a lot) but I may keep the K5 in the end and sell my Kx. Perhaps the k5 and 18-135 would be a single lens travel camera and the Nikon stuff more for indoors low-light pics with my kids. If I needed to keep one system only, at this point it would likely still be the Nikon.

11-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear you're glad to be back! In-body SR is definitely a huge bonus, if Canon had it I'd probably switch tbh
11-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
Shutter count was 0! Firmware 1.01
Hi
If you load the latest FW I think you will notice a certain AF improvement, I did.

Greetings
11-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
I really wonder whether the lenses make all the difference in AF. All my Pentax lenses are screw-driven while only a couple of Nikon are. I have an order for the 18-135 and I am curious to see
They really do.

I had an 18-135 for a while, and with its DC motor it's the quickest and quietest focusing Pentax lens I've ever used.

Having moved to the K-5 from the K10D, I'd say the AF is significantly if not enormously quicker with my screw-drive lenses. But the 18-135 is quicker than any of them. The quietness contributes to the subjective impression of speed too.

That said, I tried a 60-250 a few days ago, and its focusing (even though SDM) was slower than my screw-drives (FA50 1.4, DA55-300, DA 18-55 Mk1).

So the lens definitely makes a big difference.

I have no comparative brand experience, so that's as far as my ability to comment goes.