Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #1

Mirror Flop??

Hi there,

Just got a new K5 and now I am seeing lots of threads with tales of woe in them. That'll teach me not to look first.

This 'mirror flop' though, I keep seeing the term but can'nt find what it is exactly that happens or what the symptoms are. If someone can point me to the thread or post a quick resume I would be most gratefull.

My K5 was built August this year.

I know about the sensor stain, and lens button issues. Anything else I have missed?

Cheers - Bill

PS am very happy with the cam so far, only had it since Friday.

11-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine is made in August too, I got 800+ shots and no signs of any malfunction. You can also check Serial number base.
11-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
Pentax K5 sporadisches Spiegelschlagen - YouTube
Mine is made in August too, I got 800+ shots and no signs of any malfunction. You can also check Serial number base.
Thanks - that's outrageous! don't think I could miss that!
11-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Am I strange that actually found that malfunction pretty funny to watch?

11-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

I got my K5 in April or May and it worked well until the end of July when I was doing a shot in the hot sun for several hours. Near the end of the shoot the camera started the mirror flops. I was able to finish the shoot, but just barely because it would take only one shot now and then and only after I had removed and replaced the battery. By the time I got home the camera was working much better again after cooling down. It was apparently caused by heat and once it started, something inside changed to allow it to occasionally flop even in cool temps.

I sent it to CRIS who also discovered dust under the sensor. They repaired it and it was back in my hands in about 3 weeks. It has been perfect since. I cannot verify this, but my feeling is it was series of cameras over a month to two, and after the problem came to light, Pentax took care of the problem in the factory as well as instructed CRIS on how to repair it.

I would not worry it, as you said, you are happy with the camera. If it does flop, send it in for repair and it will probably come back in better shape than it left the factory, I know mine did.

I love mine K5, it replaced a Canon 5D Mark II and I would not go back to that camera for anything. Wayne
11-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
I got my K5 in April or May and it worked well until the end of July when I was doing a shot in the hot sun for several hours. Near the end of the shoot the camera started the mirror flops. I was able to finish the shoot, but just barely because it would take only one shot now and then and only after I had removed and replaced the battery. By the time I got home the camera was working much better again after cooling down. It was apparently caused by heat and once it started, something inside changed to allow it to occasionally flop even in cool temps.

I sent it to CRIS who also discovered dust under the sensor. They repaired it and it was back in my hands in about 3 weeks. It has been perfect since. I cannot verify this, but my feeling is it was series of cameras over a month to two, and after the problem came to light, Pentax took care of the problem in the factory as well as instructed CRIS on how to repair it.

I would not worry it, as you said, you are happy with the camera. If it does flop, send it in for repair and it will probably come back in better shape than it left the factory, I know mine did.

I love mine K5, it replaced a Canon 5D Mark II and I would not go back to that camera for anything. Wayne
This last sentence is interesting, what made you jump to Pentax?
11-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
This last sentence is interesting, what made you jump to Pentax?
Actually, I returned to Pentax. I bought a istDS when they first came out and loved it. I am still a film user for B&W (Hasselblad, Leica and Pentax), but I wanted a better DSLR for color so I bought the Canon 5DII with a 24-70mm f2.8 L series zoom, 100mm f2.8 macro L series, 50mm f1.4 Zeiss, and 100-400mm L series zoom. My camera bag was the size of a large watermelon for the Canon stuff alone. When I had a job to do I lugged that thing around breaking my back. If I wanted to take digital photos for just myself, I found myself leaving it at home and taking a Panasonic LX3.

I then remember how much I liked the istDS and its small size and the ability to use my Pentax film lenses on it. So, I sold the Canon stuff and got a K5 with standard kit lens. I seldom use the kit lens, preferring either my 28mm f2.8 KA mount, or my 50mm f1.4 KA mount. For macro shots I use my 50mm f2.8 Pentax macro.

The K5 gives me great shots, it is hard to tell the difference in quality from the Canon unless I go really big. I now take the K5 with me instead of the Panasonic since it is so easy to carry. I really like this camera. Wayne
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
Actually, I returned to Pentax. I bought a istDS when they first came out and loved it. I am still a film user for B&W (Hasselblad, Leica and Pentax), but I wanted a better DSLR for color so I bought the Canon 5DII with a 24-70mm f2.8 L series zoom, 100mm f2.8 macro L series, 50mm f1.4 Zeiss, and 100-400mm L series zoom. My camera bag was the size of a large watermelon for the Canon stuff alone. When I had a job to do I lugged that thing around breaking my back. If I wanted to take digital photos for just myself, I found myself leaving it at home and taking a Panasonic LX3.

I then remember how much I liked the istDS and its small size and the ability to use my Pentax film lenses on it. So, I sold the Canon stuff and got a K5 with standard kit lens. I seldom use the kit lens, preferring either my 28mm f2.8 KA mount, or my 50mm f1.4 KA mount. For macro shots I use my 50mm f2.8 Pentax macro.

The K5 gives me great shots, it is hard to tell the difference in quality from the Canon unless I go really big. I now take the K5 with me instead of the Panasonic since it is so easy to carry. I really like this camera. Wayne
Yep, that's somewhat my story to, only, I sold the leica's and invested the money in a Pentax DSLR and a nice bunch of Ltd's, real marvels they are and worth the sacrifice !
The Hasselblad, the Linhof 4"x5" and Technorama 617II, are for B&W and sometimes colour if the demands are severe.... I don't shoot 35 mm film, B&W nor colour, anymore, so my Pentax LX is hibernating now .

11-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

Never owned a LX, although it is one of my favorites. Maybe you should sell it?????? No, you would regret getting rid of it, and besides my wife would kill me if I bought another camera right now. I sometimes think about letting the Leica (M6 with 50mm Summicron) go, but I would miss it too. The K5 reminds me much of the LX, a nice camera built for a purpose, to satisfy the needs of a serious photographer.