Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax guarantee and repair

Dear ALL,

My K5 had suffer 'mirror flops' for a while. I bought it used from this forum, with 2 yrs extended guarantee, so I am not the original owner.
The 1 year US guarantee expires on March 2012.
I bring the camera to Europe/Norway, but the local service center refuses to do any free repair.
They said I need to contact Pentax US to issue an international guarantee card.

My question are:

Where/who/email can I contact in order to get the *international guarantee card* ?
Do I have to register with Pentax somehow in order to send in the camera for service?

Thanks.

11-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

AFIK if you buy a Pentax in one country and need it serviced in another you need the international guarantee card. I think you can get one through the website, I know inside the camera packaging there is a form or card explaining I think.

I know that if you want to service say a US warrantied Pentax in Canada, you can but you need the international guarantee card and have to pay a small fee ~$25
11-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most countries offer a local warranty only. You can however get an international warranty card from Pentax USA but you may need to furnish proof that the camera was purchased in the US. Some of my friends who bought US sets emailed Joe Virgil of Pentax USA to obtain the international warranty card, without which they would not get warranty service locally. Warranty has to be registered within a certain period from purchase date to come into effect. Certain countries do not offer any international warranty card at all. To my knowledge, China is one of those countries. Warranties are not necessarily transferable, so if you're buying used, you may not enjoy warranty coverage as a limitation of warranty. Even with an international warranty, you may get the service but you may still need to pay for it. Moral of the story is know what you're buying.

Last edited by creampuff; 11-23-2011 at 08:49 AM.
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Hey,

I have the international warranty from Pentax. I asked at their online chat and here's the info they gave me:

Randall S: To apply for International Warranty please provide the following information:

* Dated proof of purchase, which includes your name, address, and phone number
* Model name
* 7-digit Serial Number from the bottom of the camera

You may FAX this information to: Joe Virgil at: 303-728-0145

You may also mail this information to him at:

PENTAX Imaging Company
600 12th Street
Suite 300
Golden, CO 80401
Attn: Joe Virgil

or e-mail (with attachment) to: joe.virgil@pentax.com

However, International Warranty applies to the first year of ownership, only, and may not be extended or renewed.

Just send the email with the info they ask and they'll mail you the international warranty. It took a couple of weeks to arrive for me (I live in Brazil), but it arrived just fine. Since the international warranty is only worth for an year I suggest you to this fast so you can get the repairs for you K5 using the warranty in time.
Oh yeah, this applies to lenses as well.

Hope this helps