Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #31
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I think street photography is all about being discreet and having an eye for framing and composition. Is the k-5 small enough? Sure, why not, especially compared to what people used to use. I was looking through Vivian Maier's work and I was amazed at the photos she took with her Kodak brownie and later a Rolleiflex. If anything, that tells me it's more about technique then the actual camera being used. And with the K-5, that should be much easier then a Rolleiflex. If anything, the latest cameras in mobile phones are probably the most discreet.

The relevant issue for me is whether Maier would have had even more keepers if she had a more discreet camera. I don't question that I can get some good street shots with a K-5. Cartier-Bresson also knew a thing or two about street photography, and he went to great lengths at times to conceal his small Leica with a handkerchief.

11-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico; Shohola PA, USA
Posts: 219
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
The relevant issue for me is whether Maier would have had even more keepers if she had a more discreet camera. I don't question that I can get some good street shots with a K-5. Cartier-Bresson also knew a thing or two about street photography, and he went to great lengths at times to conceal his small Leica with a handkerchief.
A wonderful account. Thanks for posting it.

Jeff
11-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #33
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 21
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
The relevant issue for me is whether Maier would have had even more keepers if she had a more discreet camera. I don't question that I can get some good street shots with a K-5. Cartier-Bresson also knew a thing or two about street photography, and he went to great lengths at times to conceal his small Leica with a handkerchief.
A K-5 isn't really much bigger than a Leica: You may compare it here.
11-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 792
You don't need a small quiet camera to engage in "street photography". There are so many examples of togs using medium format, 35mm, iphones or any cellphone camera, holga etc etc. Here is a great example, and if you haven't heard about this lady, you are missing some wonderful historical street shots.
Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work

11-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Haha - K5 and small limited's? Funnnnnnyyyyy, man, just go hardcore like me:

K5 w/ Battery Grip and Vivitar 85mm 1.4 -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/166757-people-more-rando...5mm-1-4-a.html

Look at the lens on this next one:

K5 w/ Battery Grip and DA*50~135mm 2.8 (pretty large lens) -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/166675-people-randoms.html

Funny, who needs a small setup?

So, my answer is "the K5 is fine for street photog"...
11-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #36
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by archinaut Quote
A K-5 isn't really much bigger than a Leica: You may compare it here.
Front on maybe, but the K-5 is twice as thick, has a sensor half the size, and Leica have wonderful small very fast (very expensive) primes.

EDIT: either way, the K-5 is plenty small enough for street photography.
11-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #37
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by archinaut Quote
A K-5 isn't really much bigger than a Leica: You may compare it here.
Wow, I love that website. Thanks. HCB shot with an M3, but you still made a very good point.
11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
You don't need a small quiet camera to engage in "street photography". There are so many examples of togs using medium format, 35mm, iphones or any cellphone camera, holga etc etc. Here is a great example, and if you haven't heard about this lady, you are missing some wonderful historical street shots.
Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work

I talked about VM a couple of posts above. I think everyone reading the thread knows who she is. The relevant question would be, Did VM lose more shots than she would have had she used a smaller camera?

But you are all making a good case for the K5.

11-30-2011, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,147
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
The relevant issue for me is whether Maier would have had even more keepers if she had a more discreet camera. I don't question that I can get some good street shots with a K-5. Cartier-Bresson also knew a thing or two about street photography, and he went to great lengths at times to conceal his small Leica with a handkerchief.
I find this a really odd question. Maier's personal story and body of work is inspiring. To suggest that a different camera could have a significant impact diminishes her efforts as an artist and reduces her to "camera operator". Her most valuable gear was her passion and her eye. She would have taken great photos no matter what was in her hand.
11-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #40
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I find this a really odd question. Maier's personal story and body of work is inspiring. To suggest that a different camera could have a significant impact diminishes her efforts as an artist and reduces her to "camera operator". Her most valuable gear was her passion and her eye. She would have taken great photos no matter what was in her hand.
You have totally misread what I've written. You can PM me if you want; I am not going to bore folks with anything I write on this digression. Suffice it to say I wasn't diminishing Maier's work, and couldn't if I tried.
11-30-2011, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,905
I do candid photography every now and then.
K5 is the smallest serious enthusiast DSLR with silent shutter, small lens, fast focus too. The Canikons are much bigger, but ppl do fine with them too.
So to me, the camera size is often overrated. Very often, its us as photographers that are self conscious of the camera we are handling.
The K5 also has a very usable ISO range, so you can set it to 'Auto' for the varying lighting conditions you will encounter in a walkabout.


IMHO, I find the number of 'tricks' the candid photographer has in his sleeve is more important than the size of the camera.
Things like "pre-focus"; "zone focus"; "wide angle hip/shoulder shots"; "pretend to be shooting something else"; etc


I have a FED2 which I use occasionally; Its shutter is louder than the K5.
TLRs like YashicaMat are pretty silent, but the K5 shutter almost as silent.
In fact, most ambient noises cover up the sound of the shutter.


There are a few things that I find some other cameras give over the K5.
I see them more as niffy features to add to the 'bag of tricks' rather than must haves.
My G3 for example can do the following :
1. Focus using touchscreen
2. No need for camera to be at eye level for shooting using swivel LCD (and can be combined with #1)
3. More DOF at larger f-stops. " f8 and be there" sort of becomes "f4 and be there" with the smaller sensor. Not a bad thing for streets.


Eg. in this case, I saw this gentleman leaned against the railing a distance away, decided I would photograph him at the right 'thirds' position, touched the LCD panel, walked closer to him, took the camera up, waited for him to turn his head to me and snapped the picture. No need for center point focus and re-compose.




But in summary, I've not found the different camera sizes to be significant. The features they offer do affect the techniques avaliable though.
My few cents
11-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #42
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Why worry about concealing or hiding your camera, or even having a small camera that is less noticeable? Lol, if you guys were out with me you would be running for cover when I whip out my gear...
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #43
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,147
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I do candid photography every now and then.
K5 is the smallest serious enthusiast DSLR with silent shutter, small lens, fast focus too. The Canikons are much bigger, but ppl do fine with them too.
So to me, the camera size is often overrated. Very often, its us as photographers that are self conscious of the camera we are handling.
The K5 also has a very usable ISO range, so you can set it to 'Auto' for the varying lighting conditions you will encounter in a walkabout.


IMHO, I find the number of 'tricks' the candid photographer has in his sleeve is more important than the size of the camera.
Things like "pre-focus"; "zone focus"; "wide angle hip/shoulder shots"; "pretend to be shooting something else"; etc


I have a FED2 which I use occasionally; Its shutter is louder than the K5.
TLRs like YashicaMat are pretty silent, but the K5 shutter almost as silent.
In fact, most ambient noises cover up the sound of the shutter.


There are a few things that I find some other cameras give over the K5.
I see them more as niffy features to add to the 'bag of tricks' rather than must haves.
My G3 for example can do the following :
1. Focus using touchscreen
2. No need for camera to be at eye level for shooting using swivel LCD (and can be combined with #1)
3. More DOF at larger f-stops. " f8 and be there" sort of becomes "f4 and be there" with the smaller sensor. Not a bad thing for streets.


Eg. in this case, I saw this gentleman leaned against the railing a distance away, decided I would photograph him at the right 'thirds' position, touched the LCD panel, walked closer to him, took the camera up, waited for him to turn his head to me and snapped the picture. No need for center point focus and re-compose.




But in summary, I've not found the different camera sizes to be significant. The features they offer do affect the techniques avaliable though.
My few cents
Nice shot and thoughts. The touch screen shutter of the Panny's is really nice. Now if only they'd quiet the shutter LOL!
11-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,905
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nice shot and thoughts. The touch screen shutter of the Panny's is really nice. Now if only they'd quiet the shutter LOL!
Ha ha... no perfect camera indeed
I am actually keenly looking a Pentax Q for its ease of portability, (maybe quiet shutter) and large DOF for streets.
Just waiting for a good price and my account books to balance before committing.
11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #45
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
These are all good points, and I'm more than sold that the K5 would be a great street tool. Thanks, all. I did pick up an Olympus E-Pl3 with 20mm Panny lens, and will try it out for a few weeks. Chose it over the E-P3 because it has a tilt screen. I can see myself taking this camera pretty much anywhere.

I may still pick up a K5, though. Now that the 9 9 9 sale is over, I will likely have to go used, which is fine with me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
attention, camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-r, k5, pentax k-5, photography, street
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streets Candid street photos: Am I on the right track? jeztastic Photo Critique 7 04-21-2011 01:57 AM
Low light telephoto candid photography auto210035 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 03-02-2010 07:06 AM
FA 77mm or DA 70mm for street/candid (on K20D) Agnostic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 03-29-2009 10:44 AM
Post your best street candid 2008 roentarre Post Your Photos! 45 12-30-2008 04:15 PM
Some of my street/candid photos Voe Post Your Photos! 15 08-18-2008 06:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top