Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even with a small camera like the x10...you sometimes get caught......not much more likely with the K5 and a small lens though.

Regards!
Name:  DSCF1294-700.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  309.8 KB

05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I just came across this thread when searching for something else. I shoot a lot of street, and was giving a presentation on it just last night - I usually skip over gear talk relatively quickly as I think it's generally over-worried but I was thinking about it as I was asked a few questions last night, and there are a few points I'll add.

I shoot with a K-7 (K-5 seems even more responsive and quieter) because I think it's the best DSLR there is for street photography. Now it totally depends how you shoot - if you want to go and ask people to take their picture it won't really matter. I shoot candidly, so I do appreciate small and quiet gear (I've used Canon, Nikon...). If you, as an example, start taking photos in a gallery you will have extra appreciation for a quiet shutter. The game has changed lately in terms of mirrorless cameras entering the market - X100 and X-Pro1 for me stand out as affordable alternatives. DSLR's have versatility (that's why I have mine) but if you have the money or just want to focus on street there are probably better alternatives for street shooting. To those who only judge the Leica on size - I'd recommend trying one. The view you have is much larger than any DSLR, much brighter, very easy and quick to focus, and you can see outside your framelines too - they're brilliant (if you have the $).

But as I think was pointed out earlier, it's technique that matters as much if not more than your gear (not taking into account the overriding concern of timing/composition/feeling that makes up 99% of getting a good photo). Being fast with your settings, not fiddling with them or taking much time to focus (guess focus, zone or hyperfocal are options) and the ability to do something I call pre-frame, which is where, if you use one focal length enough, you get to know instinctively what will be within your frame before you lift the camera to your eye. This means you can have the camera to your eye for a split second and still have thought about the composition. I think this is a key skill for candid shooting. And I think, as opposed to a comment before, you can photograph people entirely unaware and candidly through the viewfinder, even in a relatively non-busy setting, if you have the right technique.

There was also a comment that where you are matters. This is totally right. Some of the other comments seem to make sweeping generalisations that may be based on limited experience shooting in one environment. Shooting in a New Zealand 'city' is not the same as an American city, or a south-east Asian city, or a smaller town, even in the same country/culture. You have to be aware of how much you stick out or not.

And of course it's what you actually do with the gear that matters, and that has very little to do with the gear and a whole lot to do with the person.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I find this a really odd question. Maier's personal story and body of work is inspiring. To suggest that a different camera could have a significant impact diminishes her efforts as an artist and reduces her to "camera operator". Her most valuable gear was her passion and her eye. She would have taken great photos no matter what was in her hand.
Right as usual John.
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a question, wouldn't the K-01 and a 40mm lens be a good setup for street candids?

Regards
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Just a question, wouldn't the K-01 and a 40mm lens be a good setup for street candids?
Those who've actually used that setup may have different answers, but my theoretical take on it is: It's hard to be candid with a short tele lens on a camera you're holding out in front of your head where you can view the LCD screen. The K-01 with a DA21 would be much better for from-the-hip shooting.

05-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #50
Inactive Account

When using the 40mm ltd you get a pretty compact set up. I have walked around the street with mine and you don't get people
flinching away from the camera when it's on the front of the K5.

Pentax SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited - Review / Lab Test
05-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I just came across this thread when searching for something else. I shoot a lot of street, and was giving a presentation on it just last night - I usually skip over gear talk relatively quickly as I think it's generally over-worried but I was thinking about it as I was asked a few questions last night, and there are a few points I'll add.

I shoot with a K-7 (K-5 seems even more responsive and quieter) because I think it's the best DSLR there is for street photography. Now it totally depends how you shoot - if you want to go and ask people to take their picture it won't really matter. I shoot candidly, so I do appreciate small and quiet gear (I've used Canon, Nikon...). If you, as an example, start taking photos in a gallery you will have extra appreciation for a quiet shutter. The game has changed lately in terms of mirrorless cameras entering the market - X100 and X-Pro1 for me stand out as affordable alternatives. DSLR's have versatility (that's why I have mine) but if you have the money or just want to focus on street there are probably better alternatives for street shooting. To those who only judge the Leica on size - I'd recommend trying one. The view you have is much larger than any DSLR, much brighter, very easy and quick to focus, and you can see outside your framelines too - they're brilliant (if you have the $).

But as I think was pointed out earlier, it's technique that matters as much if not more than your gear (not taking into account the overriding concern of timing/composition/feeling that makes up 99% of getting a good photo). Being fast with your settings, not fiddling with them or taking much time to focus (guess focus, zone or hyperfocal are options) and the ability to do something I call pre-frame, which is where, if you use one focal length enough, you get to know instinctively what will be within your frame before you lift the camera to your eye. This means you can have the camera to your eye for a split second and still have thought about the composition. I think this is a key skill for candid shooting. And I think, as opposed to a comment before, you can photograph people entirely unaware and candidly through the viewfinder, even in a relatively non-busy setting, if you have the right technique.

There was also a comment that where you are matters. This is totally right. Some of the other comments seem to make sweeping generalisations that may be based on limited experience shooting in one environment. Shooting in a New Zealand 'city' is not the same as an American city, or a south-east Asian city, or a smaller town, even in the same country/culture. You have to be aware of how much you stick out or not.

And of course it's what you actually do with the gear that matters, and that has very little to do with the gear and a whole lot to do with the person.

Right as usual John.

Camus, well said, and I very much enjoyed viewing that Quiet Moments gallery.

Thanks.
05-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #52

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
The photographer being discrete is more important than the type of camera. With a larger camera, using a hand grip, like the Hakuba LH hand strap, and only raising the camera to your eye to take the shot can help. Confidence and lack of hesitation are also important, I think. I've found that if I just take the photo and don't project uncertainty, there's rarely a reaction.

I shoot street candids occasionally - and I agree that confidence and lack of hesitation are key. Being discrete (going unnoticed) is less important for me, so I make no attempt to hide myself or my camera. Even with my relatively small 50mm FA 1.4 lens, the K5 is large enough to be easily noticed when I bring it up to my face. You can't really hide it -- so there's no point trying. What happens happens - I try to be friendly and nod / smile after I take my shots. So far, nobody has yelled at me or punched me

In any case, since I'm not trying to be invisible, one thing becomes most important: shooting quickly, before the subject reacts and changes their facial expressions.

Shooting quickly means several things to me:

1) Chosing an ISO that lets you shoot at 1/500th of a second or faster, to prevent motion blur. Here the K5 shines: its high ISO performance is great.
2) Focusing quickly and selecting an aperture that gives you maybe 4-5 feet of DOF so your subject is in the focal zone. Here I find the K5 autofocus doesn't always focus fast enough if someone is moving quickly towards me, so sometimes I manually pre-focus and wait for the subject to enter the zone before shooting.