Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Ok, my first dumb K-5 question

Right now all the kit has arrived please standby while I ask some really dumb questions over the next few weeks.

So, in the K5 box is a padded leather (pvc?) "base" for the camera, with a screw attached that obviously fits the tripod mount on the bottom. What is it for why do I need it? It doesn't mention it in thed list of included accessories in the manual.

Sorry, guys I know it's basic, but we've all got to start somewhere!

Regards
Woody

11-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No clear idea what you are referring to. I took delivery of new K-5 a week ago, and nothing like that in my box.

Might be an aftermarket anti-scratch protection for the camera thrown in by your dealer. That is my best guess. Perhaps a pic of it..??
11-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not in my K-5 boxes
11-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Same here no idea

11-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Almost sounds like a display stand. Take a photo of it.
11-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Maybe it is a bonus gadget thrown into the box by the dealer... love to see what it looks like. I am getting everything as I expected, pretty well untouched by the dealer and directly from the manufacturing plant, with zero actuation count. I am very happy about that...
11-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As far as I know that is not an included accessory. Maybe you should verify you did not receive a display model unless you requested one.
11-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Are you sure you bought a K-5?

11-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nothing like that in mine, take a photo of it, I'm curious to see what it looks like
11-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never seen it, either. Not on diagram in manual of included items.
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It sounds like you have a base for an ever-ready case. I have one for my old film KX. It's a two piece case, the base as you say screws into the tripod socket, and there is in turn a tripod mount on the underside of the screw, and the second piece attaches to the back of the base, folds up from underneath, over the lens, over the top, and snaps behind the viewfinder. That way you only have to take the top of the case off to shoot. Now why they would give you just the base is beyond me.
11-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds to me like they sold you a returned camera as if it were new, and were very sloppy about covering their tracks. (and whoever returned it with a piece of their case still attached had to be quite absent minded)

Happened to me with my first K-5.
Any other signs of use? Was the battery already charged? Were default settings changed?
11-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Right now all the kit has arrived please standby while I ask some really dumb questions over the next few weeks.

So, in the K5 box is a padded leather (pvc?) "base" for the camera, with a screw attached that obviously fits the tripod mount on the bottom. What is it for why do I need it? It doesn't mention it in thed list of included accessories in the manual.

Sorry, guys I know it's basic, but we've all got to start somewhere!

Regards
Woody
Not in my box either. Could it be a hand grip?

Bill
11-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Not Dumb

agree this sounds like ever ready case base for camera.

when i bought mine a few months ago it was offered with a free pentax ever ready case, however i was given an old D-ist case which did fit but i did not like it.

the case came with 3 different camera base attachments.

i would agree that you may have been given a previously returned camera. use Exiftool

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

to get details of the manufacture date and number of shutter actuations
11-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #15

Original Poster
It may well be the base of a case, as it also has a popper on it. It came in a proper plastic wrapper. The camera accoding to Photome was manufactured in September of this year with a shutter count of 1. It was wrapped and in prestine condition (no film over the lcd screen though?).

However i aslo got give a free case with it (which I think was for the k7 from memory) and having looked at that last night, that also has a base that attches to the camera and is a very similar shape, so that does make me think even more it is some kind of case base.

Woody