Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

K5 viewfinder / sensor disalignment

Hello everyone,

after a couple of weeks of k5 pleasure I noticed that for all my (handheld only) shots I had to rotate the image about 1-2 degrees in PP for the horizon/other reference to be level. Once I noticed this I started paying particular attention to the alignment, and I can reproduce this error on a tripod.

I know you can do the composition adjustment in the liveview mode, but these settings do not apply outside this menu (or so the camera tells me).
if I reset the composition adjustment, go back to normal mode, align camera on tripod through viewfinder, then switch to liveview the image is rotated like it is on normal shots.
I've reset the camera to be sure it wasn't one of my settings somewhere, but this hasn't helped.

My conclusion would be that the sensor is not quite aligned in the camera. it's a pretty minor thing, but annoying if you frames tightly and can't afford to lose by rotating and cropping.
I see there are some other people which have similar issues, anyone have a better idea to solve this than sending it back?

cheers

11-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not the sensor, it's the electronic level. Try upgrading your firmware to the latest version. If that doesn't fix it, send your camera in and they should be able to fix it without replacing any hardware - or you can get it replaced at the store, my first one had this problem also.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: