Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I have had the K-10, the K-20 and now the K-5. I gave the K-10 to a friend (and it's still going strong), the K-20 is my back-up and I absolutely love my K-5. I picked up the K-5 in May and I have had no issues with it. No staining and no lock-ups and I am over 8000 shutter actuations on it. I don't have a lot of expensive lens invested in it until last month when I plunked down $800 for a wide angle. I would say that's an indicator of the amount of confidence I have in the K-5.

I have had a great deal of success with juried art shows and contests with all 3 cameras. In fact, I am in show right now with beautiful, enlarged images from all 3 cameras. I primarily shoot outdoors with my cameras exposed to the harsh elements and they have never let me down. To me, all 3 are built like tanks but I especially like the feel of the K-5.

Good luck!

11-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well there will be a new camera soon, but it will not be for the price you can have on the K-5 next monday. So if you are fine with your K10D and want to work with it until mid-2013 then you don't have to buy a K-5 on monday.

A full frame Pentax will cost over $ 2K.

The K-5 is a wonderful camera. It is a pitty that others did have issues with it, but I made over 100.000 pictures with my (four) different K-5's. Are they any good? Well at least 100 of them are

So for me a "go for it" vote.
what is going to happen in mid 2013
11-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tyronet2000 Quote
what is going to happen in mid 2013
The successor of the K-5 will be then be lowering in price compared to it's introductionprice.
11-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have the k10D, k-7 and k-5 (now), all of them are built like a tank and yet elegantly (fit right into my hands) unlike other brands. If you have bigger hands and prefer the k10D size, then you may want to add a grip to balance it out. The advantage of k-5 over k-7 (and hence k10d) is mainly on the sensor and AF system which are much improved over the k-7. I am sure the successor of k-5 will be even better, but it will definitely come in at a higher price point. Although many have preferred to see a FF model as the k-5 successor, I have no desire to go for that in the near future. For sure, as time goes, the price of k-5 may drop further and most likely when new replacement product is announced, but I want to enjoy the advantage of k-5 now than to wait several months or a year later.

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-26-2011 at 09:20 AM.
11-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Build quality, eh?

Are you old enough to remember Ford Pinto?
I'm curious- did you *personally* own a K5 that had problems?
11-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #21

I shot with the K10D for about four years and loved it, finally got the K5. If you too have enjoyed the K10D you will absolutely love the K5, there's just no doubt about it.
11-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalandfilm Quote
I'm curious- did you *personally* own a K5 that had problems?
I did, and also a Pinto. I will never have another Pinto, especially since they have not been made for decades, but I would buy another K5 if I lost mine. My k5 suffered mirror flops, but has been perfect since CRIS repaired it.
11-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

There has been quality issues with the K5, no question, but my experience has been positive. I have 5k photos since september in all conditions from wet, snow, cold with a number of different lenses and mounts. Every tool has it's quirks but so far so good. I got an extended warranty and kept my oly around in case this one quits. It feels solid, fits my hand. I got big fat fingers and thick callouses, but I can easily change settings while looking in the viewfinder.

Those are a bonus however. The high iso and extended dynamic range are what makes this camera a keeper.

11-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #24

Original Poster
Well folks, I took the plunge. Thanks for the advice (good and bad). I opted for the $20 warranty extension as well, so if anything does go south I'll hopefully be covered. I'm totally pumped (and totally broke!).
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am sorry. I am serious. I would not buy a K-5 now, I would not buy a K-5 later. Period. If it was given to me, I will sell it off on ebay the next day, if not the same day. If your copy works without a hitch, that is great. Good for you. K-5 has more QC issues than any other camera that I can think of in recent memory, or in not so recent memory. There is no sane reason to subject yourself to this nonsense. I would buy something else.

RiceHigh, is that you? We've missed your ever so positive attitude here.
11-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Join the club. We are always broke. There is always another lens you need to buy.......thats the life of a Pentaxian. Congrads on your purchase. I know you will love it. Please post some pictures so we can see how you are doing.

Regards

Michael J.
11-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 101589dpm Quote
Well folks, I took the plunge. Thanks for the advice (good and bad). I opted for the $20 warranty extension as well, so if anything does go south I'll hopefully be covered. I'm totally pumped (and totally broke!).
Me too. I was never happy with the K-7. The image quality was *far* inferior to my K10D at low ISO. The shutter induced blur made the SR feature useless. It's no good for long exposures. The autofocus was barely better than the K10D. On the plus side it has functional white balance, great battery life, superior dust resistance and a quiet shutter.

So I'm hoping the K-5 hype matches my expectations. Although what I really want is a K10D with decent autofocus and white balance.
11-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
What the hell is this guy doing over here?
You may find it puzzling for whatever reasons but my guess is, he is doing the same thing you are doing over here, , expressing how he feels about a certain Pentax product.
11-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It is sealed against the weather, performs like a champ in the cold Canadian winters and produces stellar images.
I read that as "performs like a chimp in the cold Canadian winters" and certain images passed through my mind...
11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Me too. I was never happy with the K-7. The image quality was *far* inferior to my K10D at low ISO. The shutter induced blur made the SR feature useless. It's no good for long exposures. The autofocus was barely better than the K10D. On the plus side it has functional white balance, great battery life, superior dust resistance and a quiet shutter.

So I'm hoping the K-5 hype matches my expectations. Although what I really want is a K10D with decent autofocus and white balance.
After the K7 I bought two K5s and have to say it is a huge step up. However I categorically disagree with your comments on the K7 at low ISO (it is superb - it's at high ISOs - above 800 - it really struggles), I have gorgeous long exposure shots from it and used the DA*300 on it for birding with excellent results from the SR. It has it's weaknesses ... but those you mention are not accurate in the slightest.