Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

Questions about the K5

I'm thinking about getting a K5 on Monday ($1000 price), and was wondering about build quality. I currently have a K10D and my father has a K-x. The K10D feels like it's built like a tank and the K-x feels like a toy in comparison. I assume the K5 is more similar to the K10D in that it's weather sealed and the design looks closer (auto/manual focus switch and flash pop up button are more like those of K10D). Just want to make sure of that before I pull the trigger.

Are the recent sensor problems (stains, etc) with the K5s anything to worry about?

Pentax is probably announcing something new soon. Is it safe to assume that something with a full frame sensor would cost at least $2 or $3k?

11-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 101589dpm Quote
I'm thinking about getting a K5 on Monday ($1000 price), and was wondering about build quality. I currently have a K10D and my father has a K-x. The K10D feels like it's built like a tank and the K-x feels like a toy in comparison. I assume the K5 is more similar to the K10D in that it's weather sealed and the design looks closer (auto/manual focus switch and flash pop up button are more like those of K10D). Just want to make sure of that before I pull the trigger.

Are the recent sensor problems (stains, etc) with the K5s anything to worry about?

Pentax is probably announcing something new soon. Is it safe to assume that something with a full frame sensor would cost at least $2 or $3k?

Build quality, eh?

Are you old enough to remember Ford Pinto?

I would wait, or switch brands unless already heavily vested in Pentax lenses.
11-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure where Fontan gets that big chip on his shoulder but I think it is time to add him to my ignore file.

The K-5 is a solid, well-made camera. I have been a proud owner of an early run unit and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. It is sealed against the weather, performs like a champ in the cold Canadian winters and produces stellar images.

Jack
11-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Build quality, eh?

Are you old enough to remember Ford Pinto?

I would wait, or switch brands unless already heavily vested in Pentax lenses.

Me thinks it's Sarcasm.

11-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K5 is a far more evolved version of the K10D, ever so slightly smaller but not a Kx/Kr (excellent cameras though they are). Just a superb camera - which is why it has won so many awards.

Stains are history unless you are buying a used camera - then you will need to check carefully.

Any new iteration to the K5 - whether FF or not - is going to be considerably more expensive than the K5 now and you'll have to wait another 6 months at least for it.
11-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 101589dpm Quote

I haven't seen any threads pop-up lately about K-5 issues, so I think all of the large issues are long past. Even so, it doesn't hurt to buy the cheap 2 year extended warranty for it. My camera was fixed for the mirror flop issue a while back and has been absolutely solid since then.

I had a K10D for a while. It's pretty nice, but the size never grew on me and I eventually sold it back to the camera store I got it from (I bought the K10D at discount well after I had a K-7). The K-5 is even more solid feeling than the K10D/K20D, but with the added benefit of what I'd call sleek solidity. It's a trim camera for one so powerful like its predecessor the K-7. The magnesium alloy shell really adds to the quality feel.

It isn't safe to assume Pentax will be releasing a FF camera. To my knowledge there is no hard evidence of that. Really, there isn't much rumor at all of what they will be releasing. I think the only thing that's safe to assume is that they will release something in the not too distance future. I think both the K-5 and K-r will be up for replacement soon, but that's just me. I think Pentax would be wise to keep the K-5 around at a decent price point for a long time, but they don't seem to like doing things like that. With Ricoh in the picture we don't know what to expect besides something good most likely.
11-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Brooke Meyer

K-5s can do the job

Bought 1 new in Jan from B&H, 1 open box return from Amazon in June. 32K exposures on oldest, 17K exposures on the other. All my work is outbound, they spend lots of time in my truck and in crowds. Dust, heat, cold, rain and even the occasional snow. I usually have one on each shoulder, lens caps stay in the bag and I don't use filters but I do use hoods always. I did learn not to lose track & put fully charged batteries back in the charger. It just keeps charging, for a long time. K10/20 charger didn't so that. Here are a few thousand photos in my online galleries: View and Purchase Downloads & Prints | Brooke Meyer

Kept a K20 as a backup and haven't used it this year except to loan to a camera-less stepson. The K-5s do what I need to do and I'd buy them again tomorrow. I need the quiet, ISO and frame rate even though I never shoot continuous. Its important for dance. Never fussed with lens calibration. Haven't seen the need.

Haven't shot anything but manual in 3 years so I can't comment on metering or Live View or Video. Still use a handheld meter & Sunny 16. Since 2007, K10, two K20's and now two K-5s, only DNGs and the K-5 DR is outstanding. I have no idea why I would need FF. My cropped 16x20's & 16x24's do just fine in juried exhibits where a lot of entries are from FF bodies.

Whats more important is learning how to be a photographer and if you choose, an artist. That's very different from being a camera owner. Waiting in a store the other day, I passed the time with a D7000. It worked okay. If I was shooting Nikon, I'd do it the same & have two identical bodies. There isn't time to think about which button on assignments or with customers.

I do love the ruggedness, in body stabilization and DNG output. I've no experience with kit lenses and don't know why people buy them. The Tamron 28-75/2.8 is a wonderful all around lens, even in the Nikon mount. The Pentax DA 12-24 & DA* 50-135 are very good lenses. That's all you need but I do confess to having a Sigma 100-300/4 for performances.

If your photographs are good it will be because of you.

:

11-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sorry. I am serious. I would not buy a K-5 now, I would not buy a K-5 later. Period. If it was given to me, I will sell it off on ebay the next day, if not the same day. If your copy works without a hitch, that is great. Good for you. K-5 has more QC issues than any other camera that I can think of in recent memory, or in not so recent memory. There is no sane reason to subject yourself to this nonsense. I would buy something else.
11-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am sorry. I am serious. I would not buy a K-5 now, I would not buy a K-5 later. Period. If it was given to me, I will sell it off on ebay the next day, if not the same day. If your copy works without a hitch, that is great. Good for you. K-5 has more QC issues than any other camera that I can think of in recent memory, or in not so recent memory. There is no sane reason to subject yourself to this nonsense. I would buy something else.
I'm guessing your K-5 has problems?
11-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-5 is easier to hold and much better thought out than the k10 if you ask me, although it may take you several days to get used to its updated layout. It's fresher and more modern. As far as quality goes, it's the same; both cameras are top-notch when it comes to that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 is in my opinion just as solidly constructed as the K10D, but in a more compact design.

I owned a K10D in the past and currently own a K-x as well and the difference in construction between the K-x and K-5 is on a par with the difference between the K-x and K10D.

@Fontan you don't need to apologize, I do believe you to be serious and respect your considerable experience and knowledge.
I have seen though that if you google any camera make +any model+'problems' a significant number of reported issues will result. eg "Leica M8 problems"

My experience with the K-5 has been positive and I would buy another.
11-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you have had QC issues then that's unlucky. However I find your comments bordering on, if not completely, neurotic.

I have two K5s - one had a CPU issue that was fixed and has worked flawlessly ever since. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if one of these failed (though that's less and less likely as time goes by and early manufacturing issues are rectified). Why ? Because the camera is so damn good that it's cutting your nose off to spite your face (IMHO) to ditch (& diss) the camera because of the potential for a failure, that could in fact happen to any camera.

There hasn't been a computer made that couldn't crash tomorrow, or a car that couldn't break down. If it's electronic and complicated then it's subject to manufacturing discrepancies. It's not a pencil or an eraser.

Last edited by Frogfish; 11-26-2011 at 03:37 AM.
11-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What the hell is this guy doing over here?
I admit that self criticism is very, very, important! But, if not meant sarcastic, this is 'spitting in the soup' (I don't recall the genuine English expression)...
11-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Just get one. You won't regret it!

I enjoy using my K5 every weekend.....
11-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well there will be a new camera soon, but it will not be for the price you can have on the K-5 next monday. So if you are fine with your K10D and want to work with it until mid-2013 then you don't have to buy a K-5 on monday.

A full frame Pentax will cost over $ 2K.

The K-5 is a wonderful camera. It is a pitty that others did have issues with it, but I made over 100.000 pictures with my (four) different K-5's. Are they any good? Well at least 100 of them are

So for me a "go for it" vote.