Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Post Ricoh Takeover K-5's?

Anybody bought any K-5's built after the takeover? Are they even still being manufactured? It's probably too early to tell, but I was just wondering if anyone who's bought one recently has noticed anything different about their cameras? I'm hoping that Ricoh's already started implementing better QC procedures but it's still probably too early to tell...

11-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am sure that there is no difference at this point; however, the cameras are probably better than the original ones released, because customers have found the weak areas. Lens buttons may be fixed tighter, auto focus mechanism adjusted -- every time a problem is reported in sufficient numbers, a camera maker needs to figure out not only how to fix it, but also how to eliminate the problem in cameras still being made.
11-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

I bought mine Nov 2nd, and it was manufactured on Aug 31st. I am not sure if Ricoh has changed much in the way of manufacturing. Either way I have just over 900 shots on mine now, and it is solid as a rock. No loose buttons or sensor stains.
11-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I expect that Ricoh have far more important things to get accomplished than tweaking K-5 manufacturing. Enhancements would be trumpeted or, more likely, kept in the pipeline for the next body to be released next year.

And yes, they are still being manufactured.

In the long run, all buyers (of any maker) hope for improvements in QA. It may be too early to see major moves in that direction. These things are rarely easy or fast.

11-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regardless of the new ownership, the manufacturing plant and employees are the same. (Ricoh didn't just start making Pentax stuff in their own (Ricoh) factory with (previously) Ricoh employees. It will take time for Ricoh's company culture, QC, etc to be effective and noticable.
The new bosses might say 'make them better', but the supply chain is the same, the manufacturing techniques are the same, the staff are the same. We can (and do) hope for better, but let's be patient.
11-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Regardless of the new ownership, the manufacturing plant and employees are the same. (Ricoh didn't just start making Pentax stuff in their own (Ricoh) factory with (previously) Ricoh employees. It will take time for Ricoh's company culture, QC, etc to be effective and noticable.
The new bosses might say 'make them better', but the supply chain is the same, the manufacturing techniques are the same, the staff are the same. We can (and do) hope for better, but let's be patient.
That doesn't mean QC and manufacturing tolerances haven't been tightened up in the existing supply chains and factories though. the early QC of the K-5 was terrible not doubt, but quality was already being improved regardless of Ricoh.
11-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think that Ricoh would be more than interested in making the K-5 a better camera, heck! It's their camera, right?

11-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Banned

Well does it say Ricoh or still Hoya on the bottom plate?
11-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

how can i tell when my k-5 was manufactured?
11-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I think that Ricoh would be more than interested in making the K-5 a better camera, heck! It's their camera, right?
Depends on what a cost benefit analysis tells them, and how much they weigh "indirect" factors like reputation, customer satisfaction, vs more measurable costs of changes to production line, etc.

Anything approaching real re-design for a product nearing it's replacement, doesn't make a lot of direct cost sense...although who knows? Some issues, like the stains, lens release, mirror flop, may have seen incremental engineering or parts changes silently.

They may well have issued a 'warning' to their factories if they believe the causes are tolerances and QC, vs design issues, but it's tough, as it's likely to take 6+ months to really determine if any changes were made, and if so, if they resulted in improved reliability just around 'process.'
11-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by eastkywildlifeman Quote
how can i tell when my k-5 was manufactured?
use exiftool or photome against a RAW image taken by your camers.
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
use exiftool or photome against a RAW image taken by your camers.
rtpguy is correct... google 'photome' and download this tool, open an image file taken with your camera.(jpeg or raw would do just the same); then look for tag-ID 0215 in which you will find the manufacture-date of your camera.
11-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well does it say Ricoh or still Hoya on the bottom plate?
I got my K-5 two weeks ago, it was manufactured on July 28, 2011 and still says Hoya on the bottom. I'd imagine that it will be a while before the present stock is sold through and we start seeing Ricoh K-5s, if we ever see them at all.
12-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #14

I have two K-5 cameras One Hoya built and one Ricoh built. So far I notice on the Hoya built version there is a GPS menu item that's not present in the Ricoh version. Does the Hoya camera have a GPS built in? I don't know. I see no GPS data in the exif information on the Hoya camera however. Other than this they seem identical and both are solid cameras.
12-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This menu is for the optional O-GPS1 accessory ($200) which came out in May 2011.
The option can be fitted for GPS location data, electric compass and has a function to. be a pseudo equatorial mount for astrophotograpy.

There is not one built in to th body.