Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k-5 vs k-r

Hello friends! I hope someone on here might be able to help me out!
First of all i am a proud owner of a new k-5. I have previously owned a k-x, then i upgraded to the k-r and now to the k-5. I purchased the k-5 then right away i ordered the 50-200 da wr lens and the 35mm da 2.4. I have since returned the 50-200 lens do to poor photo quality.
Well after taking at least 500+ phots with the new k-5, i am not thrilled with the results. I have not neen able to take many photos that i feel are as sharp as the photos i took with the k-r.
For instance... I could use my old smc-A 50mm 2.0 on the k-r and take the sharpest photos i have ever taken, I put the lens on the k-5 and i cant come close to the sharpness i got with the k-r. is there something to do with the k-5 that ya really need more expensive lenses to get the full image quality of the k-5? ( i have read fo this).
PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the problem only with MF lenses? If so, how do you focus? Rely on the green hexagon? Rely on the viewfinder? Posting a sample will help some of us to determine possible causes.

If you rely on the viewfinder, shimming might be required. If you rely on the green hexagon (both AF and MF), the AF might need adjustment for the individual lenses. And if the AF is too far out so you can not adjust enough, you need to get it swapped/repaired/adjusted.

If your results with the DA-L35/2.4 inAF are poor, I would start finetuning the AF with that one. and see if you can get good results.

This was taken with the M50/1.7, so it should be possible to get sharp photos with non-expensive lenses.

11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Something else to consider is your viewfinder diopter adjustment. To test this, take off the lens and look through the viewfinder towards a bright area, such as out a window. Adjust the diopter slider until the fine framing lines on the focusing screen are as sharp as possible. This should help with manual focusing, if it wasn't set optimally.