Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

More dust!

Got another speck of dust on my sensor. This time in the sky area. Rocket blower won't budge it. Funny how this one appeared after one lens change I did in my bathroom, sensor pointing down. Was not there with my last change. How does one know if it is the lens or on the sensor? What a pain.

11-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Do you turn the power off before switching lenses?

I've heard that when the power is on, a static charge on the sensor can attract dust quicker than when the power is off.
11-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Got another speck of dust on my sensor. This time in the sky area. Rocket blower won't budge it. Funny how this one appeared after one lens change I did in my bathroom, sensor pointing down. Was not there with my last change. How does one know if it is the lens or on the sensor? What a pain.
On the lens, a lens change of the same image (try shooting the sky, like for stains) will mean no specks.
On the sensor, lens changes do nothing, same speck(s) in same position(s) regardless of lens used.
You can try running the built-in dust removal manually a few times.
11-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Do you turn the power off before switching lenses?

I've heard that when the power is on, a static charge on the sensor can attract dust quicker than when the power is off.
Always. Turn off power switch lens, take lens off.

11-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always try to clean or dust off the lens mounts on both the camera & lens before attaching the lens. Unless you live in a vacuum, you will always have to contend with dust
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a nephew who complained a lot about dust 2 years ago. His father found out that he was keeping his off lens in his jacket pocket without any cover on the body side of the lens. Dust on the back side of the lens equals dust will lead to dust on the sensor. Cleaning the dust out of the back side lens cap would help also, if there is dust there.

I find the K5 does a remarkable job cleaning the occasional dust spot off the sensor. I had one piece of thread that was probably 1/2" to 3/4" long on a coupla shots, and then no more.
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bathrooms are moist areas; can just as well be a dried up water droplet.
11-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

How does one know if it is the lens or on the sensor?
If you can see the dust speck in the image, it is on the sensor. You will not ever see dust on the lens in the image in normal shooting.

11-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Is there any actual evidence for this?

I've heard it too, but of course it implies all sorts of things that are beyond my knowlege of how it all works.

Is there a static charge on the sensor? That appears when the power is on, and disappears when it's off? Hmmm...
11-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

1 speck of dust? I dream of only having one speck of dust on my sensor . Honestly I'd stop worrying over things like this and just take pictures. Even if you never change a lens you will still get some dust on your sensor, dust is a fact of life in digital shooting.
11-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Always. Turn off power switch lens, take lens off.
Quite apart from the dust, you need the camera to be off when you change lenses so that the SR registers the right focal length for the second lens.

What confuses me about dust on the sensor is why, when just out of curiousity I took a jpeg of the dust on the sensor it looked like an aerial shot of an ocean archipelago -- but I see no dust in my images. I was appalled that I could have so much dust after only about ten days of ownership. I guess I won't worry about it until I see it in pictures...
11-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Dust

Agatha Morley
All her life
Grumbled at dust
Like a good wife.

Dust on a table,
Dust on a chair,
Dust on a mantel
She couldn’t bear.

She forgave faults
In man and child
But a dusty shelf
Would set her wild.

She bore with sin
Without protest,
But dust thoughts preyed
Upon her rest.

Agatha Morley
Is sleeping sound
Six feet under
The mouldy ground.

Six feet under
The earth she lies
With dust at her feet
And dust in her eyes.

Sydney King Russell
11-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Is there any actual evidence for this?

I've heard it too, but of course it implies all sorts of things that are beyond my knowlege of how it all works.

Is there a static charge on the sensor? That appears when the power is on, and disappears when it's off? Hmmm...
One of the few times I've ever accidentally left the power on resulted in a big blob of dust stuck to my sensor. My evidence is merely anecdotal, but that's enough anecdote for me to always turn off the power.