Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #1

Just bought Pentax K5 with stock 1.01 shall I upgrade to 1.03 or not? (Back Focus)

Hi Guys,

I just bought me a Pentax K-5 and first of all wow, It was worth waiting for 5 years (my last buy was Pentax K-10D - finally a I can rock with high ISO and stable focusing performance(well almost)

Now, after reading lot's of horror stories about back/Front focus issues, I am a bit skeptical, if I shall upgrade to 1,03 from the stock 1.01 that I had. I seems that my camera does not suffer from this issue, though on some images it looks like the objects in front of the main Focus point are a bit sharper. I am not quite sure if it is the issue or just wrong focusing.

So basically two questions here:

1. Is there a possibility to get a focus issues with 1.03 when I have 1.01 already.
2. How to make sure if I do or do not have back/front focus issue, if it is not very pronounce ???

Thanks,

11-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

You can in fact upgrade to v 1.11
The major gain I think will be on focus speed and accuracy.
and the focus thing may be more related to lens then to the camera I think
I've got a sig 17 70 tha sufers from back focus
and a 50 1.4 with fron focus
all you have to do is fine tune your focus for each individually lens with focus issus
the camera will memorise your settings even if you take the lens out.
11-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

I'll answer with my experience. My K-5 was back focusing. I noticed it when using my Pentax 55-300. So I did some experiments with other lenses, noticing the same thing. Got into the menu and was correcting all the way to -10 (I think it was -10, or was it +10... whichever one is for back focusing, see the owner's manual) to make the focused point look like it was in focus. My firmware was 1.01. I did an upgrade to 1.11 from the Pentax Japan site, and all seems well again. Moved the fine focus menu back to zero for all the lenses and all is well again.
11-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #4

Mine came last week with 1.01, but I just upgraded it straight away to 1.11. After reading the specs it seems to address a few issues since the original build, and to me makes sense to always have the latest version anyway, especially since Pentax have a history of putting little updates within them wthout notifying people they are there.

egards
woody

11-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Guys,

Thanks all for your replies,

Mine was actually Fronfocusing - not horrible, but it was annoying. I have a 35mm F2.0 lens, which should be very sharp, but almost none of the portraits in my living room, which has a very difficult lighting conditions after sunset, as we have 3 different light sources there, were sharp enough.

I was later playing around with the camera, and the following image assured me that camera was front-focusing:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/stirliz/Eaby/79808cbc.jpg

I was aiming at the top Device, but as one can see the Amp below was in focus (more or less)...

Later in yesterday evening, I have updated to 1.11 and after setting all lens correction back to 0 it is fine now! I did not check the KIT lens yet, but I had massive issues with back-focusing on 35mm F2.0 with my K10D which was ruining lot's of nice photos.

P.S. one more question - I could not find were to tune in Camera JPG sharpness, as I still find the JPGs are a bit soft. I know with this camera I have to grow up and use RAW, but I still need time and Photoshop to do that...

Last edited by Stirliz; 11-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.
11-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Doublepost

Last edited by Stirliz; 11-30-2011 at 02:03 AM.
11-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #7

On the back of the camera, the button on the right side (or the three o'clock position) of the OK button, this is where you find the color/lighting preset combo's you can pick, including customizing those combinations. Scroll down that list shown, you'll see "sharpening" down near the bottom, along with contrast, etc. Increase in-camera sharpening here. If you scroll horizontally across the top of that same screen, you change the in-camera coloring combinations (bright, natural, film-look, B/W, etc). Verify these functions in your manual, in case there's another mode to pre-set sharpening in-camera that I'm not aware of. Each time you choose one of those combinations at the top of that screen, all the settings in those choices on the vertical of that screen change in those little bar graphs, then you can tweak those bar graphs yourself, too. (I hope that doesn't sound confusing, because it's really easy to play with.) I'm pretty sure all these options are just affecting jpeg output and not RAW output, but again, your manual should verify that. It's pretty much an in-camera jpeg "pre-editing" mode.