Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought my first dSLR in 2006 (the Pentax *ist DL during the great rebate binge), and I bought a wet cleaning system at the same time. I also bought a Rocket Blower. The wet cleaner is still in the package. I've gone from the *ist DL to the K100D to the K10D, K20 and K5. I've never had to use more than the Rocket Blower to clean any camera. And the K20D and K5 seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the dust down, though a good blast from the Rocket Blower always helps.

As for dust on the viewfinder, try blowing the dust without the mirror up. Eventually, the dust should move off the viewfinder. Though, as people said, dust on the viewfinder doesn't affect the pictures at all.

Anyway, give the Rocket Blower a try (and use a Rocket Blower, not some bulb from the drug store). I've never needed anything else.

12-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting dust on the sensor is one of the things we have to live with unfortunately. Sending it in will only clean it for today and if you live in a dry, dusty environment it will be back the next time you change lenses or even use a long zoom that isn't weather sealed (and thats just about any). One of my worse experiences was getting a camera full of blackflies changing lenses on a hike. I get by with a blower (not the Rocket) and I use it regularly. I have had a tiny bug stuck to the inside of my Spotmatic viewfinder for a couple of decades. It looks like a tick. I think it must be petrified by now.
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add my never popular opinion to this discussion...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109