Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor/Mirror Cleaning

Is there a place in SF Bay Area to get the K-5 cleaned? See spots on pictures. Don't want to send it in to Pentax service center unless it is a repair.

11-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Is there a place in SF Bay Area to get the K-5 cleaned? See spots on pictures. Don't want to send it in to Pentax service center unless it is a repair.

Have you tried a Rocket Blower on it yet? I've done my K-x about 4 times in the past 18 months because of spots - worked like a charm each time.

Giottos Rocket Blaster - Extra Large reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes. I have tried rocket blower to clean other than sensor. It just migrates the dust. I see dust through the view finder and spots on the pictures.
11-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes. I have tried rocket blower to clean other than sensor. It just migrates the dust. I see dust through the view finder and spots on the pictures.
Certainly you can have a pro clean it but the dust in the viewfinder is unlikely to be impacting the images. From your response it doesn't sound like you have used it on the sensor, is that correct? I found that holding the camera with the mount down toward the ground with the mirror locked up and using the Rocket Blower has resulted in the particles falling out of the camera (gravity is a wonderful thing if you use it to your advantage).

11-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well, I'm in the Bay Area and I clean K-5's. Mine, at least! But that probably doesn't help you.

Seriously, consider picking up a Pentax O-ICK1 cleaning kit. It's the "sticky lollipop" you'll see references to around here. You can get it from Adorama or Amazon.

90% of the time the rocket blower should work. If the rocket blower doesn't work, then 90% of the time the lollipop will. And it's super easy to use.

For the remaining 1% of the time, if you're unwilling to try wet cleaning, then yeah, find a professional. I don't have one to recommend, though, because self-cleaning has always worked well enough for me on my K20D and K-5.
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Docrwm - You are right. I have not used Rocket Blower on the sensor.
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quicksand - Thanks for the tip. I will try. I am always little hesitant to clean the sensor with a fear of damaging it.
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Quicksand - Thanks for the tip. I will try. I am always little hesitant to clean the sensor with a fear of damaging it.
The sensor is not as delicate as you think. The sensor is protected by a glass filter on top. If you take your time and use care, wet cleaning will work wonders if the blower does not. Kits are not expensive, just be sure to get the right kit (size) for your sensor and make only one pass if you do a wet cleaning.

11-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax sells their official O-ICK1 kit specifically to be used on their sensors. I have zero problems with mine. Pentax does not sell rocket blowers. I think official Pentax products can be trusted here.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-29-2011 at 01:51 PM.
11-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #10

I need similiar service
11-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
If you have reasonable dexterity and can follow instructions with care and common sense then wet cleaning your sensor is no big deal.
As was pointed out the sensor is not quite as delicate as you might think.
To learn how I can recommend the info, instructions, and supplies found here.

Copper Hill Images - D-SLR CCD/CMOS Cleaning Supplies & Camera Accessories

The only cautions I would emphasize are ...Don't touch the part of the swab that will contact the sensor with your fingers (it's easy to do by accident but easy to avoid if you're careful). And know that "wet" cleaning, really means "damp" cleaning. Don't oversaturate your swab with cleaning fluid, it is possible to get fluid under the glass covering in which case you might be hosed for an expensive repair. But again, with care and common sense you won't have a problem.

I would add, that although a wet cleaning is not really difficult, with the K5 I don't find a reason to very often. I would certainly try the built in dust removal first, and then a blower before a wet cleaning. Recently I was in the field and noticed a big dust spot on my images. The built in shaker moved the spot but did not get rid of it. In desperation I found a sheltered spot, spent a few moments drying my mouth out, held the K5 facing down, exposed the sensor and gave short firm "puff". Not what I would normally do but it worked.

Last edited by geezer52; 11-30-2011 at 10:59 AM.
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sensor Cleaning

Digital SLR sensor cleaning is much easier than you think. There is a lot of help on youtube.com but as always, use discretion on what to follow. I like the following clip that talks about multiple methods; I've successfully used the wet sensor cleaning at least a dozen times so far on several different dSLRs that I've had.

11-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any recommendations on loupe for sensor cleaning?
12-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Any recommendations on loupe for sensor cleaning?
One might help you locate the dust speck for removal with the sticky-stick. A "wet" cleaning covers the whole sensor so a loupe isn't necessary. JMHO but anything that increases the time the sensor is exposed to open air only increases the chances of picking up more dust.
12-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Loupes? Never touch them, myself, except to peer at detailed craftwork and botanical anatomy. As Geezer said, a loupe only slows you down at the sensor, and it's damn hard to see in there anyway. Totally unneeded with the O-ICK1 cleaning kit.