Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I was about to get a K-5 based on it's obvious positives, but I've been reading about all the problems in this forum and wonder If I should get one.

I absolutely cannot stand an unreliable camera. My current cameras, K20D, K-x and 3 *istD's function flawlessly.

Have all the problems been solved for the most part? or completely?

If you absolutely cannot stand an unreliable camera(I can't either - it drives me up the wall), then I would wait if I were you. Just wait. Don't buy a K-5. Why not wait until the next model comes around presumably in a short period of time?

12-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
If you absolutely cannot stand an unreliable camera(I can't either - it drives me up the wall), then I would wait if I were you. Just wait. Don't buy a K-5. Why not wait until the next model comes around presumably in a short period of time?
??? Has something been announced?
12-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Why would the next camera be more reliable than the K-5? especially as they've had a year to iron out the K-5 kinks.
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Agree... that's a flaw logic -"the next model will not have any problems or may be less"; in fact, it is the opposite... by now (after one-year of production) most issues have been cleared.

12-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
that's a flaw logic -"the next model will not have any problems or may be less"; in fact, it is the opposite... by now (after one-year of production) most issues have been cleared.
You're assuming that everyone buying the K-5 now will in fact be getting a newly manufactured one. That is not a safe assumption. I purchased mine a month ago and it was manufactured in March. Perhaps "most issues had been cleared" by then, too (I hope so) but time simply having passed is no guarantee of anything. But your main point is valid; clearly the next model will have new and exciting peculiarities of its own for people to remark on.
12-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let's hope for better things. Let's hope that Ricoh management will be more rigorous in QC (and indeed in their supplies' QA) and the K5 replacement will have less problems. Nevertheless the point is well made; don't rely on any new model (of anything) being more reliable until it is tested in the hands of end-users.
12-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Given recent events (the sale to Ricoh), I am of the opinion that Hoya went component shopping from all the lowest bidders, and the early K5s were the result.

12-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't think I'd be buying a new model within the first 4-6 months of it's release.
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

6 months at the earliest for sure, considering the first 4 months are typically spent by the company either disavowing or ignoring the customer complaints. I will say quality control has not been exclusive to Pentax, although perhaps more pronounced, as I have returned a Nikon D7000 due to back focusing and Hot Pixel problems. In any case, both experiences have taught me to not be an early adopter and to make due with what I have.
12-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeah, but if Pentax comes out with a FF, I think a lot of folks here would buy virtually immediately and just deal with whatever issues.

I waited a few months after the K5 came out before I bought one, and I've had no problems (nor any with any other Pentax body I've had). I'd probably do the same with the next body, as well. I managed to save enough over the initial price to pay for a new OEM grip, a few issues got noticed and dealt with, and I just felt like the time was right. I've been using my K5 for about a year now. A year I've spent enjoying the heck out of this camera. So, it was well worth the extra $400 I spent compared to what they go for now, IMO.
12-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Just got mine today was manufactured on my birthday this year 07/14/2011 I hope it is a good omen very slim chance of buying something and it being built on your bday.
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I've hesitated to buy a k5, at least partly because of all the reported problems, plus the fact that even on cyber monday, it cost over twice as much as either of my previous Pentax cameras. If I could have the k5 sensor in my k200 at the old k200 price, I'd be good with that. I don't need better autofocus or any of the other improvements, just the dynamic range and high-iso performance. The better viewfinder would be a plus, but the proprietary battery would somewhat balance that off.

I don't have any Pentax inside information. However, I know that some other manufacturing companies doggedly refuse to change known-defective designs in an existing model. Sometimes they intentionally carry those defective designs into future models, if they perceive the cost of doing that as less than the cost of redesigning a part. So it's not obvious that a newer k5, or even a new model, will be better than the very first k5s.

I do think Pentax did some damage to its reputation, just judging by the relative number of complaints here about k5s vs. older models (k100, k200, k10, k20, etc.) when they were new. I researched my k100 and (even more) k200 before purchase, and there were just not a lot of reports of failing cameras. Obviously over time every model will fail, but the initial failures of K5s seems excessive.

Paul
12-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
the initial failures of K5s seems excessive
One day in the future, it would be useful to see a K-5 quality control report from someone analysing all the problems (real or perceived) with the K-5. Comparing the K-5 experience with the K-7 would be particularly useful.

At the end of the day I suspect some of the blame for various quality issues (eg the sensor stain stuff) may be related to their sensor supplier having QC issues, rather than Pentax per se. (This might explain why the K-5 had sensor stains but not the K-7, for example).

Other issues (like the lens-change buttons falling off on the K-5 but not reportedly on the K-7) may be due to engineering or design changes Pentax made between the K-7 and the K-5, or simply due to irregular quality issues on the assembly line floor.

Other reported issues may simply be due to the fact that more people bought the K-5 than bought the K-7, so even if the percentage of bodies with QC issues was still the same constant low figure, the probability of people reporting any issues was going to be higher just because there were more users.
12-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
There is always a new model after the next version of K5.....
I am thoroughly enjoying my K5 now.... All the photos i have taken and the memories that come with them.

If you need one, just get one! You will love it.

Enjoy!
12-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Just got mine today was manufactured on my birthday this year 07/14/2011 I hope it is a good omen very slim chance of buying something and it being built on your bday.
you were born this year?