Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Setting a fixed ISO

Probably a dumb question but I can't find anywhere to set a fixed ISO on my K5. I can set it using the ISO button and e-dial but it appears that there is no way to shut off the Auto ISO as listed in the Menu settings. There is a place to set the range but no On/Off for AUTO ISO that I can see. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a menu item for this. Thanks

12-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Original Poster
I want to be able to set the ISO for say 400 and know that this won't change as conditions in lighting change. Is this possible? It surely is. Maybe it does but why set a range from low to high if it isn't needed? Maybe it only kicks in when in Auto Rec. Mode (Green Mode) and other Auto Modes.
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will never automatically change your iso unless it says iso auto on the top lcd. As soon as you use the e-dial to change it, your setting will be locked in. The range shown on the info screen is the iso auto range, which is only active if you are actually in auto iso mode as indicated by the top lcd.

If you're in green mode I'm pretty sure you have to stay in auto, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It will never automatically change your iso unless it says iso auto on the top lcd. As soon as you use the e-dial to change it, your setting will be locked in. The range shown on the info screen is the iso auto range, which is only active if you are actually in auto iso mode as indicated by the top lcd.

Yes, coming from a K20D, I've found this confusing. Adam, thanks for the explanation.

Dan

12-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

while in Tv mode, you can get auto-iso if you press iso button and green button, it will change into auto-iso. On the reverse, if you want to change back to fixed iso, you press the iso button and turn the rear dial, it will revert back to fixed iso. May not be intuitive, but that seems to be the logic.
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just to make sure I have this clear in my mind. In order to activate AUTO ISO you must set a range in Menu. As soon as you adjust it using the rear e dial it moves out of AUTO until such time as you activate it again in the Menu item. Do I have this correct? Thanks by the way. This is appreciated. I like and need to be able to control my ISO - most of the time I like to set my camera settings manually then I don't get unexpected surprises.
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The quick way to reactivate it is to hold down the iso button and hit the green button -- you'll see "auto" light up on the top lcd.

12-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

pp95-97 of the K-5 manual
12-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennuck Quote
Just to make sure I have this clear in my mind. In order to activate AUTO ISO you must set a range in Menu. As soon as you adjust it using the rear e dial it moves out of AUTO until such time as you activate it again in the Menu item. Do I have this correct? Thanks by the way. This is appreciated. I like and need to be able to control my ISO - most of the time I like to set my camera settings manually then I don't get unexpected surprises.
Yes but if put it in TAv mode or Green mode it will go into auto ISO as set in the menu. If you put it in an User mode and you have set an auto ISO (and this can have a different range then in the menu) it will go into auto ISO. In TAv mode or Green mode you can't get out of auto ISO mode. In the User modes you can have a range for each user mode and like the other modes you can go to manual ISO and get back to the ISO for that user mode with the green button.

DAZ
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

in the k-5, there is a default auto-iso range.. you don't have to set it if you don't want to change the default range (think it is: 100-6400).

As soon as you adjust it using the rear e dial it moves out of AUTO until such time as you activate it again in the Menu item.
That is correct. If you want to revert back to auto-iso, hit the iso and green button again (no need to go to the menu).
12-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or just use Sv mode.
12-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Yes but if put it in TAv mode or Green mode it will go into auto ISO as set in the menu. If you put it in an User mode and you have set an auto ISO (and this can have a different range then in the menu) it will go into auto ISO. In TAv mode or Green mode you can't get out of auto ISO mode. In the User modes you can have a range for each user mode and like the other modes you can go to manual ISO and get back to the ISO for that user mode with the green button.

DAZ
If you're in TAv mode you don't need to or want to fix ISO. That would equal full manual and there's a mode setting for that already. TAv mode is designed to use auto ISO or it would have no value to the user.

You cannot get out of auto ISO in green mode because green = full auto. By definition.

jbinpg has revealed the ultimate truth here. We don't have apps but we have modes for whatever ails us.
12-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks aleonx3. That clears it up perfectly. Knowing that I can set a fixed ISO simply using the ISO button and edial is what I needed to know and then to go back to AUTO ISO by simultaneously holding down the Green and the ISO buttons works great. The K5 owner's manual is very basic and doesn't explain any of these finer points. For a flagship model with professional features, you would think Pentax would provide a manual with some depth to it. Soon after joining this site I asked about any good books on the K5 and found one eBook which has been helpful but it too is very basic. Not sure if it's just me but I like to know exactly what happens in the camera when I make a particular setting or choice in the menu. Anyway, you guys have been great. This Forum has been so helpful and I have to add how much I appreciate the rapid responses I have had to questions. Other forums are way slower and therefore less helpful. This one is great. Thanks again.
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
There's another feature of the K5 that I don't fully understand and that's "Program Lines" I get the Depth of Field provision needed for good portraits and landscapes but I have always controlled that through f stops. What else does a Program Line do? Once again the information in the manual is very basic. I would like to know what else is set when selecting a particular Program Line. Can anyone help clarify this for me? Thanks in advance.
12-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'Day Kennuck .
Program line defines what happens when in various modes and you hit the green button. Page 102 of your manual defines (badly) what each of these modes are. I have no idea what the difference between

'Auto' - Camera determines the appropriate settings
and
'Normal' - Basic Program Auto Exposure (default setting) means.

I like the MTF setting in that it automatically selects the optimal aperture setting for whichever lense is attached. Even if I just use it as a guide when operating in full M mode. I might just flick the dial to P, hit the green button, and the camera will tell me that , say F4, is the best possible IQ setting for this lens. Useful information.

Hope this helps

Last edited by wizofoz; 12-02-2011 at 06:15 AM.