Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter

issues using manual lens

I have just bought a K5 body and at this stage only have a manual SMC lens from my old K1000.

In order to use the manual lens, I preset CUSTOM4 | USING APERTURE RING | TO 'permitted'. This appears to be an essential.

I also preset the mode dial to M (this seems to be the only mode that stops down the diaphragm to the aperture I have set on the ring when the shutter is released).

Each time I turn on the camera, I have to confirm the focal length. Is there any way to bypass this step??

To take a photo, I have to adjust the focus in the viewfinder (no problem here) , but also have to press the green button, otherwise the camera does not select a new shutter speed (it uses the previous one). Is there any way to avoid the need to press the green button, because this is a bit cumbersome to do without removing my eye from the viewfinder?

Answers appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

12-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
Each time I turn on the camera, I have to confirm the focal length. Is there any way to bypass this step??
Turn off shake reduction. You won't get focal length in the EXIF data.

QuoteQuote:
To take a photo, I have to adjust the focus in the viewfinder (no problem here) , but also have to press the green button, otherwise the camera does not select a new shutter speed (it uses the previous one). Is there any way to avoid the need to press the green button, because this is a bit cumbersome to do without removing my eye from the viewfinder?
You can estimate the exposure using the Sunny 16 rule and set the exposure yourself.
12-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
sap

howdy andrew, everytime i put a manual lense on me K5 it asks that question(apperture ring) if its been set, just half click your shutter release button and it will go,
Leave your K5 on manual, change your apperture from your lens. and speed from your K5+iso! hope this helps.. simon
12-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sap Quote
howdy andrew, everytime i put a manual lense on me K5 it asks that question(apperture ring) if its been set, just half click your shutter release button and it will go,
Leave your K5 on manual, change your apperture from your lens. and speed from your K5+iso! hope this helps.. simon
Thanks Simon, the half click solves that 'input focal length' problem well.

Re setting the shutter speed without pressing the green button, I didn't quite understand your K5+iso suggestion

12-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
if you press the +/- button, near the green one, the body will chose the right speed to get a correct exposure
12-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Andrew 'Go here', some of your answers are there and in the further links.
12-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
if you press the +/- button, near the green one, the body will chose the right speed to get a correct exposure
I'm not sure the +/- (EV compensation) actually works in M mode? The green button seems to be the only way of 'automatically' setting the 'correct' shutter speed on the K7/5 using M lenses. But you can of course use the green button once and then adjust the shutter speed up or down (or the aperture up or down) to deal with changing light conditions. Or just guess the correct speed / aperture combination using the sunny 16 rule! I have found that I get pretty good results in M mode as once I have got the exposure right, I can just leave the camera alone until lighting conditions change, and this means my exposures won't be fooled by highlights that can cause the camera to underexpose in Av mode.

Another way of circumventing the whole green button issue is to shoot in Av mode - all your shots will be 'wide open' but this is appropriate sometimes.
12-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Bruce - the 'shooting manual lenses...' Donovan article is what I needed. Green button is the go to set aperture and auto select a speed, but set a speed before looking through the viewfinder, then while looking through the viewfinder, hold preview on the on/off switch and adjust the aperture for correct exposure on the EV bar is another.

I'll practise and see what works best.

Thanks again to all for assistance.

12-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're using the same manual lens you don't have to specify focal length again. The camera will assume it's the same as last time. At least that's the case if you're in M when you turn it off and back on again.
12-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Perhaps I can help clarify things, since I shoot exclusively MF lenses and have put 15K clicks on my k-5 through them.

In M mode, the camera leaves the aperture wide open all the times except when you're metering and shooting. you select the aperture manually but (to aid focusing and composition) the aperture remains open except those times. So when you want it to meter properly you have to tell the camera to meter with the green button, otherwise it's metering with the lens stuck wide open and you'll get wildly underexposed pictures when it stops doen to actually take the picture.

In all the other letter modes (except B), the camera behaves as if it is in Av mode, but with the lens wide open at all times, no exceptions. if you have a lens with an actual k-mount or an adapter that supports k-mount properly (like tamron adaptalls), you won't be able to stop down. if you're using M42's or some other mount you should be able to adjust the aperture ring manually (you will see the the viewfinder go dark as you turn the ring) and the camera will start metering when you give the shutter a half-press.

I too thought the green button impeded my workflow when i first started using k-mount manual lenses (as opposed to M42), but if you give the green button a chance and take most of your shots that way for a few weeks you'll get quite used to it, and it's nice to be able to always focus at full aperture rather than at what you're manually stopped down to.

the +/-EV adjustment does work in M mode. in M mode it applies the EV compensation to the shutter time it metered for when you press the green button. Even in M mode I usually have an EV of -1 since my k-5 has a slight predisposition to overexposure.

the camera will always default to the last used value for SR. Doing pretty much anything dismisses the dialog and the SR is active at whatever focal length it defaulted to. if you're not changing lenses or zooming, this is not a problem
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Hi Andrew 'Go here', some of your answers are there and in the further links.
Invaluable links, thanks very much. Have read through the post and links, and they have made sense of using my 135 2.5 on the K5. I have posted a few attempts in the 135mm lens section.
Nigel
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
I have just bought a K5 body and at this stage only have a manual SMC lens from my old K1000.

In order to use the manual lens, I preset CUSTOM4 | USING APERTURE RING | TO 'permitted'. This appears to be an essential.

I also preset the mode dial to M (this seems to be the only mode that stops down the diaphragm to the aperture I have set on the ring when the shutter is released).

Answers appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
If you're using the same lens all the time, just tap the shutter release and the camera will default to the last setting you used for focal length.

02-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #13

How to save apperture value

Pardon me to use this thread to ask a slightly different issue on the manual lens.

I have a K-r and M50/2. I have no problem using them, and having good results. But when I want to know what aperture I used for those shots, I couldn't see it as it says F--- in the picture info. Is there a way to save the aperture value recorded in the camera? So when I download my pictures to Lightroom, I will have this information as well?

Thank you for any enlightenment.
Winada.
02-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winada Quote
Is there a way to save the aperture value recorded in the camera? So when I download my pictures to Lightroom, I will have this information as well?
No, I don't think so - the camera simply can't know what aperture was selected manually as far as I know.. (I can think of clumsy ways a camera could figure it out, but I don't think any have been implemented.)

Back to the original subject, personally I wish the K-5 forced me to select a focal length properly rather than letting it's idiot user accidentally skip it with a half-press on the shutter release. Whenever I'm switching M lenses frequently I seem to end up with roughly a quarter of my shots having the wrong FL in EXIF and it's a pain to correct them all afterwards. Also, of course, SR for a 50mm lens could potentially mess up shots with a 200mm.
02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winada Quote
Is there a way to save the aperture value recorded in the camera? So when I download my pictures to Lightroom, I will have this information as well?
Yes, but a notepad and stylus (pen or pencil) are required. The hands-on recording method, eh? My father shot with totally manual TLRs and kept a notebook wherein he wrote down details of ALL shots -- exposure, focus, time, place, etc. I'm too lazy.

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Back to the original subject, personally I wish the K-5 forced me to select a focal length properly rather than letting it's idiot user accidentally skip it with a half-press on the shutter release. Whenever I'm switching M lenses frequently I seem to end up with roughly a quarter of my shots having the wrong FL in EXIF and it's a pain to correct them all afterwards.
One solution: before changing lenses, shoot the new lens head-on, so you'll know exactly which lens was used. Some days I'll go on a Fifties spree, swapping between K50/1.2, planar Yashica ML 50/1.4, Meyer Oreston 50/1.8, CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades), MacTak 50/4 (1x), Tomioka 55/1.4, Petri CC 55/1.8, Porst Color Reflex 55/2.8, etc. Just noting the FL isn't quite enough. The picture is the proof of the lens.