Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #16

Thanks Richard!

12-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkane Quote
Anyway, that twin lens kit from Amazon UK - worth the extra $178?

John
When I bought my K-5 recently I thought long and hard about the kit lens question. I didn't want to end up with a lens that I was just going to replace later, regardless of the price. The 'best value' isn't good value if it's the wrong lens for you. Then when the body came on sale here in Canada at around $1,000, so did the DA 18-135mm WR DC zoom. You'll have to find the right package for your needs, but I am really pleased so far with this combination, particularly the fast and quiet focusing of this lens.

Second lens purchase? My first prime ... I just received a DA 40mm limited that I bought from a forum member in the marketplace.

john a
12-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm a bit late to the party with the K-5, but fwiw here's my 2 cents worth of K-5 first impressions, mainly on ergonomics:

- the quiet shutter is just wonderful. No more scaring the birds when you are shooting close, as the K-x would with it's rat-trap shutter. Will also make the K-5 practical for some quiet indoor venues, in a way that the K-x wasn't;

- the location of the green button on the K-5 is not optimal, for me. The location of the green button on the top plate of the K-x and K200D is much better than its location on the K-5. I'm a left-eye shooter and the green button on the K-5 is right in front of my nose, which means I have to move my face away from the viewfinder to let my thumb reach the green button. I wish I could assign the green button to the RAW/Fx button, or something. Maybe I just need to buy the battery grip, since it also has a green button in a convenient to reach spot;

- body is nice, solid, and comfortably 'grippy'. Feels as solid and comfortable as the K200D, and feels positively luxurious compared to the K-x;

- IQ seems good, but not light years ahead of the K-x, even in high-ISO. Still, the extra resolution and DR right across the ISO range will be handy;

- AF (FW 1.11) is generally faster and more confident than the K-x, esp in low light. But I only ever use center-spot AF, so AF is rarely a issue for me;

All in all, I like it. It's a keeper.

Last edited by rawr; 12-03-2011 at 05:40 PM.
12-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm a left-eye shooter and the green button on the K-5 is right in front of my nose, which means I have to move my face away from the viewfinder to let my thumb reach the green button.
I have the same problem; I've been wanting to switch to using my left eye, because I can focus better with it, but reaching the green button is a problem. Even worse, I would prefer to use the AF button for focusing rather than the shutter button, but that's just impossible when shooting left-eyed. I can't think of any other arrangement that would have worked better though, given the small size of the camera.

Last edited by pentup; 12-04-2011 at 12:08 AM.
12-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad I'm not the only one that is disappointed in the cheap body cap. I love everything else about the camera, and leave a lens attached to it anyway. But a $1200 camera body should have a $2 cap, not a 20 cent one.
12-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
... But a $1200 camera body should have a $2 cap, not a 20 cent one.
hehehhehe i was reading 3x wondering if you meant ¨shouldn´t¨ but then i read forward after the comma and made sense
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm glad I'm not the only one that is disappointed in the cheap body cap. I love everything else about the camera, and leave a lens attached to it anyway. But a $1200 camera body should have a $2 cap, not a 20 cent one.
My thought exactly! Whats worse is that it just doesn't fit correctly!
12-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

But a $1200 camera body should have a $2 cap, not a 20 cent one.
I agree. The company is weirdly inconsistent when it comes to included accessories. I find it odd that the expensive Limited lenses come with fairly useless (but absurdly expensive to replace) lens pouches, while my inexpensive 55-300 zoom came with the best designed lens pouch I've ever used.