Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First Impressions of my new K-5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've owned the K-x for 18 months and the K-r for 6 months. The CyberMonday deal from Amazon enticed me into buying a K-5. It arrived yesterday and so far I have charged the battery and used the Pentax K-5 Review - Walkthrough portion of the extended K-5 review here on the forum to change some really significant settings!

I've also had several distinct First Impressions in the past 18 hours of my new K-5.

1st First Impression was not a good one - the body cap included by Pentax fell out because it is friction fitted and the temperature contracted the cheap plastic. Given that the body was in a bubble wrap bag the chance of dust getting into the body is minimal. However, how hard would it be to put a good body cap on the camera? I own several that I purchased online for very little that are imprinted with Pentax and screw in like a lens.

2nd First Impression was a good one - very nice size and feel in the hand. I was honestly expecting the camera to be significantly larger and heavier than it actually is.

3rd First Impression startled me. Maybe this shows that I was not paying as much attention to the reviews and extensive discussion as I should but when I turned the camera to portrait orientation and the LCD screen adjusted like a iPad it startled me!

4th First Impression was one I almost missed. The shutter is significantly quieter on the K-5 than on the K-x or K-r. I suppose this is an effect of the extensive water proofing of the camera but its a very positive side-effect IMHO because the shutter sound will be less distracting, startling, etc. to subjects.

5th First Impression is a daunting one. I have a LOT to learn as this is far more complex a camera than either the K-x or K-r!

Finally, I'd really like to thank whomever wrote the Pentax K-5 Review - Walkthrough portion of the extended K-5 review here on the forum! Many of the menu settings are similar to those for the K-x & K-r but honestly most were made once many months ago and only dimly remembered. The succinct walk through with photos was a great help and made the entire process very efficient initially. I strongly recommend that all new K-5 owners at least check that section for reference.

12-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with your assessment, I upgraded from the K10. I did change the settings as indicated in the walkthrough but found the color saturation, particularly in red, was too high for my liking. You'll want to keep an eye on that. When I went back to neutral I liked the colors better in the in-camera JPGs.

Enjoy!
12-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the K5 club. Happy discoveries to come.
12-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to a wonderful camera. I've had mine for what feels like almost a year now and I love it to pieces. Its been just as reliable for me as my K20D and K100D before it. Congrats.

It does take a while to learn everything, and I'm still learning today. But thats the fun of it!

12-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine is supposed to be here today, can't wait to get home!
12-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

This should solve your body cap issue. I have a twist lock style so it will never fall off, then again I rarely use it.
12-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am going through the similar pace... although mine is more exploratory comparing the shooting and custom folder item-lists in the menus. The k-5 definitely offers more 'smart' features and options that I can use compare to my k-7.

12-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
This should solve your body cap issue. I have a twist lock style so it will never fall off, then again I rarely use it.
Thanks, but I own several that are just like this one.

I know they are seldom used but when receiving a Professional grade body this one just is embarrassing, not to mention non-functional when it fails to stay in.
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #9

Agree with you. One other thing i might add is that i started with pentax on the K100d and the sd slot compactment just slide open. Then I upgrade to k10d and k20d and it's a flip switch. I really like that design. Now the k-5 seems to go back to the k100d design and that to me feel a little cheap. But overall it's such an amazing camera.
12-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #10

I look forward to your second impressions! I don't suppose you have a view on the merits of starting with a K-R (less than half the price) as the first step into the world of DSLRs? I could probably afford the K-5 but wonder if I'm trying to run before I can walk.
12-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkane Quote
I look forward to your second impressions! I don't suppose you have a view on the merits of starting with a K-R (less than half the price) as the first step into the world of DSLRs? I could probably afford the K-5 but wonder if I'm trying to run before I can walk.
Thanks. I do have an opinion, for what it's worth I have owned the K-x, K-r, and now the K5. I think that the K-x/r cameras are excellent performers, present a wonderful introduction to dSLR photography, and very user friendly. I think that at ~$400 they are great bargains and any lenses you purchase will always work with a K5 (or K3) when the time comes.
12-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I spent yesterday evening shooting with mine for the first time other than a handful of test shots around home. The smaller size of the body will take a little getting used to. I have large hands. I was outside for a considerable time last night and had difficulty operating buttons with gloves on, especially the preview to check my shots and histogram. The low light performance is incredible however. ISO 3200 has less noise than my K10D has at 800. I noticed the saturated reds too. I was shooting in RAW so that was easy to fix in Lightroom. Overall I'm happy with it so far but I have done very little to this point. I didn't shoot much today at all as I was busy running errands and also some home projects all day.
12-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi johnkane.
I nearly bought the KR. I counted the pennies several times. Finally I decided that just the WR and two Edials made it worthwhile. Had I bought the KR I am sure that it would have kept me happy for a long time, but I'm glad I waited till the funds were available and I bought the real thing!
Buy the K-5, use it on fully auto mode for a while if you want to, but keep adding a bit of knowledge/ability each week and you'll soon be where you want to be, without shelling out half the cost of the camera you want on an interim measure.
12-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkane Quote
My first DSLR was the K10D. I'm outside a lot. I hike, ski, paddle, etc and and the better build quality and weather sealing were important considerations. The K10D and K5 are similar in features. They don't have scene modes but I doubt I would ever use them. My last couple of film cameras had them and I never used them then. I don't think the learning curve will be any different for either camera because because all the things like aperture, shutter speed, ISO are the same regardless of camera. Shoot in auto to start off and learn as you go. My generation learned photography with manual cameras. The term "auto" meant that you could meter at open aperture and the lens would stop down to your setting when you pressed the shutter. DSLR's are a piece of cake. I have handed my camera to a 6 year old and he shot a full card of very good photos. If you are serious about learning photography and can afford it, get the K5.
12-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #15

K-5 prices

Thanks for this, Rod

Apologies if discussing prices is frowned upon.

I have seen the K-5 plus 18-55mm lens in UK for on Amazon UK for just under $1250 with a further $140 cashback. So say $1100.

Amazon in the US are selling the same for $1349.

Amazon UK sell the K-5 with a twin lens kit (DA 18-55 WR - DA 50-200 WR) for $1418, but again with the same $140 cashback, making that $1278 or $178 for the 50-200mm lens.

On Amazon US, there is an offer from ACE Photo which has the same kit but with additional battery, 16GB SDHC card and tripod and stuff for $1500.

So strangely, and probably this is a one-off, I may be better off buying in the UK. Unless some of you know of better deals that I can get when I next visit the States.

Anyway, that twin lens kit from Amazon UK - worth the extra $178?

John

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Hi johnkane.
I nearly bought the KR. I counted the pennies several times. Finally I decided that just the WR and two Edials made it worthwhile. Had I bought the KR I am sure that it would have kept me happy for a long time, but I'm glad I waited till the funds were available and I bought the real thing!
Buy the K-5, use it on fully auto mode for a while if you want to, but keep adding a bit of knowledge/ability each week and you'll soon be where you want to be, without shelling out half the cost of the camera you want on an interim measure.