Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went with a Ricoh GX200, great little camera.

12-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I went with a Ricoh GX200, great little camera.
Interesting camera. The "snap focus" feature in conjunction with the ability to shoot in RAW could make it really appealing for street photography. My reservation about cameras like these is that they defeat my purpose of wanting to carry something in my pocket. If I'm not carrying the K-x then something small enough for my pocket is what I want. These bridge cameras or whatever you call them seem to me to be neither fish nor fowl.
12-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes alternative would be the right wording for sure

i popped into my local cam store and played with the g12, sony nex, and epl1 a bit... nothing else was in stock. the g12 is a cool cam, but after more research its been pushed to the bottom of my list. i really want to try the nikon v1 before spending the money though

the nex was a very cool camera, smaller than i thought it would be too. sony screwed me with evrythung i ever bought from them aside from my playstation so i am nervous about going that route. ut also seems your paying a lot for the name.

i really want to get something the wife and i can share or help her make the jump to slr easier... which is why i sm now leaning toward csc models.

the fuji looks cool too.

u might got to waut a while and increase my budget or get a raise....
12-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

In my case the right word would be "addition"....the x10 is not a back-up to the wonderful K5 or even an alternative, since they are very different in their abilities and in their usage.

I will note for those not familiar, the x10 is not a "pocket size" camera, but does easily fit in a jacket pocket comfortably........didn't want to mislead anyone.

I shot a few shots today with the K5, in low light and difficult weather, and since I haven't used it for almost two weeks...since I got the x10, it quickly brought into focus the difference in capabilities......in particular when I mounted my 50-500 Bigma!

On the other hand......I was trying to express how happy I am with the x10. Some thoughts there......reminds me of when I was a kid and got my first .22 rifle.....or when I got my first bike.....or first motor scooter...or first car.....remember those exciting times? You just couldn't get enough of them, and they filled your mind with anticipation and enthusiasm...and were in all your thoughts.

Well, whatever you get, I hope it does the same for you, if it does, then no matter the brand, you go the right one! That's what counts most!

Best Regards!
Rupert

Forgot the photos I shot through my dirty office window today with the K5.......the x10 won't do this!
Bigma @ 420mm......ISO 3200

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Rupert; 12-02-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Add photo
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have a K-5, K10D, KM (K2000 in the states). Sometimes these cameras as you say are too big. Then I take my Canon G 12. If I set the ISO to 80-100 or so and the light is really good...the pix aren't bad for a small sensor camera.

But the G12 cannot compete with a DSLR for pix quality...all other things being equal.

Good little camera though and with the Canon 430 11 EX flash...very good flash pix too.
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am still in no rush to get the "backup" (alternative) camera but my contenders are now, not necessarily in any particular order:
The Panasonic G3
The Fuji X10
The Fuji X100 (if Santa is good !)
You meant the Panny GF3? It's a dumbed down version of the GF2 which is a dumbed down version of the GF1. You might want to look for those on the used market...
The X10 is nice and the X100 is nicer

The Panny LX5 was a great deal today at Amazon for $280, but the X10 is definitely nicer if you're ok w/ the $600 price and you'll get an optical viewfinder (the LX5 has an EVF but that's not the same).
12-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have a G9 which was my main camera for a few years, until I recently bought a K-5. It's been the best camera I've owned so far, solid, reliable and a good amount of tweakability. The only drawback which has been fixed in newer Gx models is the somewhat limited wide angle end of the zoom range. The G9 will remain as backup to my K-5. I have made some very nice images with my G9, perhaps not DSLR-quality but very good. I would not hesitate to recommend the newer Gx models for a sub-DSLR.

12-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an LX5; it's terrific. But if I were buying something today, I think I'd get a Nex 5n: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/160932...ny-nex-5n.html