Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
backup for my K5

I love my K5, I use it nearly every day. But there are certain situations that you can't bring a K5 with you, even if all you got mounted is an M 50. So I'm asking you K5 shooters... if any has a backup, what are your opinions. Especially if you have one of the cams I'm looking at?

So I want to get a second cam, something I can take with me to the places where a huge honkin DSLR is just too big. Not only for convince but for keeping out of sight lines of other people (ie: sporting events)

I've been looking at the new CSC segment as well as advanced compacts. I'd like to still keep a level of control in my shooting and shoot raw.

Some of the contenders:

Nikon J1
Olympus EPL2/EPL3
Canon G12
Nikon P7100

The J1 is on the top of my list because of the flexibility of the interchangeable lens system. Its by Nikon which isn't in trouble right now as a business, so support will be long lasting. Nikon's image quality is always good. But I'm worried about using a sensor that is not much larger than what is in the G12 and P7100. I've used only Nikon and Pentax in my life (pentax film/digital SLR, Nikon compact film) and my wifes a Nikon digital compact user, and I've always liked it. This would also be a good advanced system for my wife as well as she likes my DSLR, shes just intimidated by it.

Olympus is a big question mark. I love the camera, the value for the money seems to be tops, and it has great reviews. I'm really worried about recent events though for long term stability with the system. This is really the only thing holding me back from the Olympus. Especially since I would prefer the larger sensor.

The G series has always been something that I've played with in Best Buy and hummed and hawed over for a long time. I've been wanting one for years. The specs seem great and its got a decent range comparable to 140mm if I remember correctly which would be great for trying to take photos at the hockey games. The thing that draws me to the G12 is that it is even more compact than a CSC while still giving the advanced features and appears very versatile on paper. It does not need to be as powerful as an SLR, thats now what I'm looking for. But as a compact camera its really hard to ignore, even though it is not exactly pocketable.

The P7100 is just Nikons answer to the G12. The 7000 had cruddy reviews for software glitches which is why I put it below the G series. But apparently all of that was fixed on the new 7100. The specs compared to the G12 are very very close. The benefits to me of the 7100 is 200mm range and arguably better low light capability. (I live in low light shooting situations it seems)

Why am I not looking at the Q?

It is expensive for what it is. I cannot justify the cost when these more appealing options are available and for less money. I love the look of the Q and want to support Pentax. I just don't see the value.

I'm looking at buying during boxing week.

12-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
My brother picked up a Olympus E-PL1 with thw lenses 14-42 and 40-150. Great little system and at the time cheap. Worry about the future? Well this is like an advanced compact, you don't buy a system, you just buy these items to use for the coming 3-4 years and who knows what the earth is looking like by then.

I like the 1 system, and if you want advanced, I would considder the V1. That could be a system to grow in if your wife likes it. Some big differences between the J1 and V1 and I think it is wordth the money.

Other option is the Samsung Ex1 wich is a very nice camera, with only limited zoom.
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would not go with either G12 or P7000, they don't have what I want..

I would consider the Q, Olympus/Panasonic or the Fuji. and of course, that depends on pricing as well. I am not the early adopter kind of person... and I usually wait until the hype is over before I look into it. So, next year may be and looking at this year model.

For now, k-7 is my backup camera...
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I love my K5, I use it nearly every day. But there are certain situations that you can't bring a K5 with you, even if all you got mounted is an M 50. So I'm asking you K5 shooters... if any has a backup, what are your opinions. Especially if you have one of the cams I'm looking at?

So I want to get a second cam, something I can take with me to the places where a huge honkin DSLR is just too big. Not only for convince but for keeping out of sight lines of other people (ie: sporting events)

I've been looking at the new CSC segment as well as advanced compacts. I'd like to still keep a level of control in my shooting and shoot raw.

Some of the contenders:

Nikon J1
Olympus EPL2/EPL3
Canon G12
Nikon P7100

The J1 is on the top of my list because of the flexibility of the interchangeable lens system. Its by Nikon which isn't in trouble right now as a business, so support will be long lasting. Nikon's image quality is always good. But I'm worried about using a sensor that is not much larger than what is in the G12 and P7100. I've used only Nikon and Pentax in my life (pentax film/digital SLR, Nikon compact film) and my wifes a Nikon digital compact user, and I've always liked it. This would also be a good advanced system for my wife as well as she likes my DSLR, shes just intimidated by it.

Olympus is a big question mark. I love the camera, the value for the money seems to be tops, and it has great reviews. I'm really worried about recent events though for long term stability with the system. This is really the only thing holding me back from the Olympus. Especially since I would prefer the larger sensor.

The G series has always been something that I've played with in Best Buy and hummed and hawed over for a long time. I've been wanting one for years. The specs seem great and its got a decent range comparable to 140mm if I remember correctly which would be great for trying to take photos at the hockey games. The thing that draws me to the G12 is that it is even more compact than a CSC while still giving the advanced features and appears very versatile on paper. It does not need to be as powerful as an SLR, thats now what I'm looking for. But as a compact camera its really hard to ignore, even though it is not exactly pocketable.

The P7100 is just Nikons answer to the G12. The 7000 had cruddy reviews for software glitches which is why I put it below the G series. But apparently all of that was fixed on the new 7100. The specs compared to the G12 are very very close. The benefits to me of the 7100 is 200mm range and arguably better low light capability. (I live in low light shooting situations it seems)

Why am I not looking at the Q?

It is expensive for what it is. I cannot justify the cost when these more appealing options are available and for less money. I love the look of the Q and want to support Pentax. I just don't see the value.

I'm looking at buying during boxing week.
Hey! Wired.

I have also been looking into a "compact" backup buddy to my K5. Although your requirements might not be quite the same as mine, I thought you may like to browse this thread for more information:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html

Cheers.

JP

12-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought a Panasonic LX5

Superb little camera.
12-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hey! Wired.

I have also been looking into a "compact" backup buddy to my K5. Although your requirements might not be quite the same as mine, I thought you may like to browse this thread for more information:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html

Cheers.

JP
Hi JP,
I was going to point Wired to your thread also..................there's a lot of great thinking on this subject there...............My X100 is wrapped and under the tree and I can't wait to offically get it in a few weeks.....

I still feel very strongly that if you get a back up camera that takes interchangeable lenses, you've opened the door to LBA......
Dave
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would get something along the lines of the g12 as a backup camera, just so I wouldn't have to worry about lenses Worst case, an x100 or x10, but those aren't as flexible IMO (although they're probably "cooler", if you will).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started with a G9 more than four years ago when it just came out, which still works as my backup whenever I look for just a P&S. It is one tough little camera with a lot of muscle.
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to be a big fan of Sony compact cameras but lately they have been putting out models that shoot way soft on purpose for some weird reason. I shifted to the Panasonic ZS-5 and its a great little camera. Great zoom range, sharp-sharp photos, and is pretty flexible overall.
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Lot's of choices, that's a good thing. I am loving the x10, and although I have bought it several nice gifts, I won't be buying it any lenses, which is a plus for me. Fits easily in a jacket pocket, and has great controls with plenty of dials and such....I'd say my reasoning was, being perfectly honest, the "cool factor" Adam mentioned .....it is just a very cool and high quality little camera. The optical viewfinder was another...for me, any "real" camera has an optical viewfinder.....and the one on the x10 works with perfect simplicity.

Whatever you get, make sure it is something small enough to be with you at all times....if you're like me you will want to shoot everything you see...even the guy that gave me an estimate on repairing my Jeep Wrangler (hit a deer- minor damage and the deer lived) .
Best Regards!

Old Mike, known him for years......
[IMG] [/IMG]
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Hi JP,
I was going to point Wired to your thread also..................there's a lot of great thinking on this subject there...............My X100 is wrapped and under the tree and I can't wait to offically get it in a few weeks.....

I still feel very strongly that if you get a back up camera that takes interchangeable lenses, you've opened the door to LBA......
Dave
Thoughtful of you, GD.

After much, much consideration, I have closed in to the Fuji X10 or, if my favorite Santa Claus feels that I have been "good" all year, the Fuji X100 ... who knows?

Decidedly, the idea of LBA avoidance has greater appeal than getting into a whole new system.

For the OP: there are so many choices out there but I see that you have almost made up your mind on the G Series?
Best of luck deciding!

JP
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Lot's of choices, that's a good thing. I am loving the x10, and although I have bought it several nice gifts, I won't be buying it any lenses, which is a plus for me. Fits easily in a jacket pocket, and has great controls with plenty of dials and such....I'd say my reasoning was, being perfectly honest, the "cool factor" Adam mentioned .....it is just a very cool and high quality little camera. The optical viewfinder was another...for me, any "real" camera has an optical viewfinder.....and the one on the x10 works with perfect simplicity.

Whatever you get, make sure it is something small enough to be with you at all times....if you're like me you will want to shoot everything you see...even the guy that gave me an estimate on repairing my Jeep Wrangler (hit a deer- minor damage and the deer lived) .
Best Regards!

Old Mike, known him for years......
[/url] [/IMG]

I just knew it was a matter of minutes before Rupert would jump in !

And I am glad to see that the X10 is still producing excellent results!

I would guess that this would be a great option for the PP.

JP
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The thing that draws me to the G12 is that it is even more compact than a CSC while still giving the advanced features and appears very versatile on paper. It does not need to be as powerful as an SLR, thats now what I'm looking for. But as a compact camera its really hard to ignore, even though it is not exactly pocketable.
Just bought the Canon G12 a few days ago. It was on sale for 370 dollars during thanksgiving.

I had been thinking about the Fuji X10 but decided I would rather have the vari-angle LCD. Not had enough time to play with it. But so far so good.

The pullout LCD is really useful. Its a good backup camera on first impressions.
-not pocket size but I had an old case with a belt clip. That's how I carry it.
-this thing has endless variety of customization. Kind of fun if you like that sort of thing.
-IQ seems good so far.
-This is going to be the camera that is going to stay in the car for spur of the movement shots, where I can pull off the road to take a shot. Much more convenient than even the small K2000 dslr.
-Only thing that is not-so-great, is the viewfinder. But then I knew that.
12-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think back up is the wrong word here,

For me, bacu up is a second DSLR of some type.

What you want is an alternitive to DSLR Not really the same thing.,

I am also in the market for a new bridge camera, as my old one A kodak DX7590 is getting a little old andbeat up.

My requirements are full manual, and the ability to accept accessories, most specifically close up lenses and . or wide angle adaptors. (since I find bridge cameras never go wide enough,

I would be interested in what you find.
12-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think back up is the wrong word here,

For me, bacu up is a second DSLR of some type.

What you want is an alternitive to DSLR Not really the same thing.,

I am also in the market for a new bridge camera, as my old one A kodak DX7590 is getting a little old andbeat up.

My requirements are full manual, and the ability to accept accessories, most specifically close up lenses and . or wide angle adaptors. (since I find bridge cameras never go wide enough,

I would be interested in what you find.
Yes you are right!
I think I've messed this thread with the original title.

An "alternative" is what I want rather than a backup which I already have in the form of the K7!!

I debated over the availability of interchangeable lenses on this "alternative" and I am slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that I have to avoid LBA with yet another system.
Then someone mentioned the Panasonic G3 which will accept K-mount lenses with an adapter. That could solve part of the problem.
Finally, there is the X10/X100 which, in spite of having fixed lenses, deliver beautiful pictures.

I am still in no rush to get the "backup" (alternative) camera but my contenders are now, not necessarily in any particular order:

The Panasonic G3
The Fuji X10
The Fuji X100 (if Santa is good !)

My wife has a bridge camera (Nikon P5000) ... see this link here: Nikon COOLPIX P500 Camera
but I just don't like the electronic viewfinder and the overall handling.

JP