Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am so sorry, dude. But I think it can only happen to K-5, the way it has been for this poor fine machine.

12-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, now that you've walked a mile in my shoes, how do you like it? Stuff like this happens to me all the time.
12-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The K-r is at CRIS for FF adjustment. The K20D is great, but the plan was to see how much greater the K-5 is. Like I said, first world problems.
Oops, didn't know about the K-r. I went from a K20d to the K-5. The IQ difference in good light is marginal. But when the lights go down or the subject moves, the K-5 walks the K20d each and every time...

Hope you get the K-5 in time for the holidays!
12-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
POPULAR MECHANICS magazine did a test a few months ago, with a data-recording system in a package that was repeatedly shipped by the major USA carriers. The accelerometer tracked impacts and movements. The results: USPS flips-over packages more often, but UPS and FedEx drop(kick) packages more -- more high-acceleration impact spikes. I wonder if OP's UPS delivery truck "mechanical failure" was a result of the truck being whacked or rolled or otherwise munged?

12-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yeah, that might account for some of those accelerometer readings.
12-04-2011, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #21
Dan
Pentaxian

Package abuse -- avoid FedEx and UPS

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
POPULAR MECHANICS magazine did a test a few months ago, with a data-recording system in a package that was repeatedly shipped by the major USA carriers. The accelerometer tracked impacts and movements. The results: USPS flips-over packages more often, but UPS and FedEx drop(kick) packages more -- more high-acceleration impact spikes. ...
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Here is a link to the story:

Shipping Company Reviews – Best Package Shipping Company - Popular Mechanics

Based on their data, the US Postal Service seems far less likely to subject a package to serious abuse than FedEx or UPS. This is consistent with my experience. They also found that you should NOT mark a package as "FRAGILE", as this will cause them to INCREASE the level of abuse! Here's a quote from the article:

"One disheartening result was that our package received more abuse when marked 'Fragile' or 'This Side Up.'"

As I expected!

Dan
12-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's a funny photo until you look at the drivers seats and steering wheels of the two vehicles involved...

12-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That's a funny photo until you look at the drivers seats and steering wheels of the two vehicles involved...
Yeah, I don't think that this was a survivable adventure.
12-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonder how many negative G`s that was on the accelerometer.
BTW, down here the men in brown do a one hell of a good job. So do the xE deF people.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.
12-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
BTW, down here the men in brown do a one hell of a good job. So do the xE deF people.
I am currently located in the Sierra Nevada mountains about midway between the capitols of California and Nevada. I am on a rutted gravel road with no USPS action -- I use a PO box -- and where GPS and cells are unreliable, and all the maps are wrong.

UPS usually manages to find my trailer modular home, and to leave stuff on the sheltered front porch. Not so with DeFex. DeFex left my K20D+lenses shipment on a neighbor's porch -- I found it the next day. DeFex left a box full of photo paper and IR film on my unsheltered back porch, in the sun in a heat wave -- I found it when I returned home two days later. I had specifically instructed that deliveries NOT be left there. I've written to DeFex to congratulate them for hiring the retarded as drivers. (I've sent similar notes to SaturdayNightLive re: their writers.)

I ship what I can with USPS, otherwise with UPS. I try to route all incoming non-postal shipments through UPS. I will not do business with DeFex unless there is absolutely no alternative. DeFex sucks.

But I'm not bitter.
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are scaring me with these pictures. I hope it arrives safely tomorrow.
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh come on guys, it's DECEMBER. You don't really expect perfection from delivery drivers in December do you? Half of them are seasonal employees just on for the holidays. The way I see it if I order something in December it's probably a minor miracle if I see it before March...wink...That being said I have actually been rather impressed with UPS and USPS this year. The stuff I ordered from Amazon, my new media player, it arrived in no time, and considering the time of year that really surprised me.
12-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
My K-5 was scheduled to be delivered today. I was really excited to be able to play with it this weekend, and get some shots of my daughter at the petting zoo. Then I checked the updated status on UPS and it said "Mechanical Failure". So a mechanical failure 50 miles from my house, yesterday, kept them from delivering my package today. I call BS! This is a first world problem of the first order!
I was waiting for a new lens (Pentax, of course) when UPS called me to tell me that the box got destroyed and sent back. I had to start all over again.
12-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I was waiting for a new lens (Pentax, of course) when UPS called me to tell me that the box got destroyed and sent back. I had to start all over again.

Wait. They CALLED you! They didn't just deliver it and wait to see if you noticed! Wow, they must really think you are special.

P.S. Sorry about your lens.
12-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wait. They CALLED you! They didn't just deliver it and wait to see if you noticed! Wow, they must really think you are special.
I've had UPS deliver an empty tube that was supposed to hold an 8lb piece of forged steel known as a drag link for the steering of a car. You'd think something like that would be noticed before it made it onto the truck. Turns out it got lodged in some sorting equipment, they were relieved, they thought it might have fallen off of one of their machines.