Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Focusing issues on K5

i just bought a K5 and went out today to shoot some landscape. On both of lenses used, the camera would have a hard time focusing on distant objects. It would not lock focus and i'd have to focus on something closer. I have camera set to not allow shutter release unless focus is locked. I went back and tried the same lenses on my K20d with no issues. I've read about low light focus problems with the K5, but this was in bright daylight. Can anyone suggest what I might do?

Thanks,
Curt

12-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll want to go in to the AF adjustment menu (in the custom functions area) and adjust the focus for those lenses. This happens quite frequently with older screwdrive lenses for me, but not just on the K-5. In my case, an adjustment of between +3 and +5 usually fixes the problem. Lenses that I've had trouble with included the FA 20-35mm F4, FA 31mm, and FA* 85mm (surprisingly).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Try resetting all custom settings to default.
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Is the focus point in the place where you want it? Was the subject in the distance something the camera couldn't lock on? I have had issues with my K10D not locking focus at infinity when the focus point was the sky. It only happens sometimes but when it does, the lens hunts back and forth to the extremes of the focus range. My K5 is new also but I have had no focus issues to speak of in the little time I have spent with it.

12-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
k5 focusing

Just to clarify, these are older inexpensive lenses that I've used on both k10 and K20. The lenses are Sigma 28-105 and Tamron 28-200. They both have worked fine on my older Pentax DSLRs.
I guess I'll try these adjustments. .
12-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Forgot to add that I was focusing on things that the camera could focus on such as a door on a distant building, trees on the horizon, etc.
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another thing worth trying might be updating the firmware to the greatest and latest. Going from 1.03 to 1.11 seemed to make a difference for me as far as AF goes: the camera took a warranty repair trip for more backfocus in daylight with the DAL 55-300 than could be compensated with the AF fine adjustment and the DA 100 macro at +10, it came back with a note explaining that they had updated the firmware (+ a cryptic mention of adjusting "105 circuit" (?)) and that they had tested AF and found it "fully accurate". After the service trip (and much testing and tinkering with the AF fine adjustment ) +4 would seem to be the best setting for both the DAL 55-300 and the DA 100.