Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I have a quick question I do not know where to post. Will astro tracer work if for example I use camera that is mounted on a telescope that has a viewfinder mounted 90° on the side of the telescope? That meas that if I mount the camera on that telescope, camera would be facing 90° away from the point of view. My friend is considering on buying a telescope for deep space viewing and it has M42 thread so I wondered if astro tracer would work on such a setup. I think that there would be a lot of problems since manual input of focal length goes to 800mm max.

04-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HI zvon,

It will not work. The movements of the camera sensor required in Astrotracer-mode is determined from the direction in which the camera is pointing in height (Altitude) and compass direction (Azimuth). In your setup, camera and telescope will be pointing in different directions and thus, the sensor movements will not follow the stars that the telescope "sees".
04-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #78

yes, i thought so. Thanks for confirming that
04-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #79
Inactive Account

I'm thinking about getting the o-gps1 just for geo-tagging my pictures on an upcoming mediterranean cruise. I haven't tried any form of geotagging yet and haven't started using my new lightroom program or yet signed up for a new online photo sharing site that can display a geotagged map. What do you guys (or gals) think about going this way. Is it worth it? Does it work well? Which on line sharing program has the best interface for geotagged images? Any other comments or suggestions?
Thanks.

04-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently used the OGPS-1 when at a state park. It wasn't always on. I need to read the instructions more carefully, I think. When I thought about it and made sure the unit was operating, it worked well and tagged my photos. Flickr detected the information and automatically added them to my map. I'm sure most other programs will do this as well.

When it was sending data, it worked like a champ. The intermittent operation was my fault, I'm sure. Now that I think about it I should save that manual to my phone as well.
07-23-2014, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #81

First time ever had a totally clear sky and nearly no light pollution

Hi, i chased a opportunity to really try out the O-GPS in good light conditions and a clear sky for months since i got it, here is the result:
07-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #82
Site Supporter

Love it!!!

07-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #83

Photos: Albums
That's a great picture! Does anybody know if there's a way to hook up a smartphone to the camera for this purpose? I've been searching on google but can't find anything...
07-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #84
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The short answer is no. As far as I know there is no other way (or any other camera system) to do the astro part other then the O-GPS1. Even if there was a way to integrate the data into the camera from the phone (or the external GPS) it must provide the camera with pointing information. There are ways to geotag photos with a smart phone and integrate the information on a computer but it is a kludge compared to using the O-GPS1.

DAZ
07-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Hi, i chased a opportunity to really try out the O-GPS in good light conditions and a clear sky for months since i got it, here is the result:
Very nice. Congrats. How long was the exposure?
07-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
120 sec.
07-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
120 sec.
Cool. I'll have to get an OGPS1 one of these days.
08-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful image!!!! Is this a composite - with the landscape shot with the GPS astrotrack off?

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'm thinking about getting the o-gps1 just for geo-tagging my pictures on an upcoming mediterranean cruise. I haven't tried any form of geotagging yet and haven't started using my new lightroom program or yet signed up for a new online photo sharing site that can display a geotagged map. What do you guys (or gals) think about going this way. Is it worth it? Does it work well? Which on line sharing program has the best interface for geotagged images? Any other comments or suggestions?
Thanks.
I stumbled across the map display/geotagging tab in LightRoom 4. It turns out to be very helpful. It's also very interesting in how and where it tags items.

08-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Wonderful image!!!! Is this a composite - with the landscape shot with the GPS astrotrack off?
No, i forgot that part :-( it s just one exposure, but the sensor movement is not very noticeable given the foreground subject. Thanks

---------- Post added 08-02-2014 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Thanks, it was 2 minutes. I am still learning how to take astrophotos but i really like the result of this neet light compact add on which is ONLY AVAILABLE for Pentax (as i have had to tell numerous Canikon owners )
08-02-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I believe that its a stunning image. I just happened to be pursing Space.com and they are looking for images.
QuoteQuote:
Editor's Note: If you capture an amazing view of any night sky object and would like to share your images for a possible gallery or story, send images and comments to Space.com managing editor Tariq Malik at: spacephotos@space.com.
Take a look at their other postings also. There is a wide variety of shots, that they publish. I also think that with the O-GPS1 and the current crop of K bodies, there is an excellent story here, around both the shot and the equipment.