Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #91

Photos: Gallery
The O-GPS1 works well with a 300mm lens :)

Recent pics with my new Sigma APO DG 300/2.8

Messier 31: 15 images (20secs, ISO1600, f/2.8) stacked with DeepSkyStacker

Messier 45: 32 images (20secs, ISO1600, f/2.8) stacked with DeepSkyStacker

My deep sky collection (thanks to the O-GPS1 unit) : Accueil / Albums / Astrophoto | PhotosSteph

11-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stephp Quote
Recent pics with my new Sigma APO DG 300/2.8

Messier 31: 15 images (20secs, ISO1600, f/2.8) stacked with DeepSkyStacker

Messier 45: 32 images (20secs, ISO1600, f/2.8) stacked with DeepSkyStacker

My deep sky collection (thanks to the O-GPS1 unit) : Accueil / Albums / Astrophoto | PhotosSteph
Were these taken in Namibia? They seem wonderfully clear.
11-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Were these taken in Namibia? They seem wonderfully clear.
Not at all
In France, with good level of light pollution (because: 50km south from Paris)
But Lightroom helped me to clear them from this pollution
11-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stephp Quote
Not at all
In France, with good level of light pollution (because: 50km south from Paris)
But Lightroom helped me to clear them from this pollution
Nice shots. Would you be able to post some before and after lightroom processing images and the things you did in lightroom. I have always struggled with post processing away light polution. thanks.

01-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote

Thanks, it was 2 minutes. I am still learning how to take astrophotos but i really like the result of this neet light compact add on which is ONLY AVAILABLE for Pentax (as i have had to tell numerous Canikon owners )
My gf gave me the OGPS-1 for Christmas and I'd like to try it out soon. I'll have to learn how to calibrate it forst.

Couple quick questions. How do you keep the foreground from blurring when the sensor moves? Is your desert/milky way image stacked?
01-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #96

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
My gf gave me the OGPS-1 for Christmas and I'd like to try it out soon. I'll have to learn how to calibrate it forst.

Couple quick questions. How do you keep the foreground from blurring when the sensor moves? Is your desert/milky way image stacked?
You will surely enjoy it!! The only way to keep the foreground sharp is to do a double exposure, one with tracking on and one with tracking of (i tend to use the same exposure settings for both shots), which then have to be blended in PP. The desert/milkyway shot was not stacked, but i should have taken a exposure without tracking ... in the case of the dunes the blurring is not so apparent but it really helps to have two exposures to work with.

Last edited by mgbirder; 01-07-2015 at 12:24 PM.
01-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #97
Pentaxian

people think i'm stretching or doing Tai Chi when I am standing on a rock calibrating my O-GPS1; I really get into it, lol.

01-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
You will surely enjoy it!! The only way to keep the foreground sharp is to do a double exposure, one with tracking on and one with tracking of (i tend to use the same exposure settings for both shots), which then have to be blended in PP. The desert/milkyway shot was not stacked, but i should have taken a exposure without tracking ... in the case of the dunes the blurring is not so apparent but it really helps to have two exposures to work with.
I figured panoed shots would be the answer. I'll have to figure out if my pano edit software will work with this. I don't think it allows for manual stitching so I may have to learn how to stitch manually in case pano edit has problems.

Looks like I also need to learn how to do basic stacking. I hope Lightroom can do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
people think i'm stretching or doing Tai Chi when I am standing on a rock calibrating my O-GPS1; I really get into it, lol.
Dangit...looks like I also have to learn Tai Chi.
01-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I figured panoed shots would be the answer. I'll have to figure out if my pano edit software will work with this. I don't think it allows for manual stitching so I may have to learn how to stitch manually in case pano edit has problems.

Looks like I also need to learn how to do basic stacking. I hope Lightroom can do it.

Dangit...looks like I also have to learn Tai Chi.
if Lightroom can do layer masks, then you are all set. Layers and masks are a great tool to know moving forward, so effort will be rewarded.
have fun
01-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
if Lightroom can do layer masks, then you are all set. Layers and masks are a great tool to know moving forward, so effort will be rewarded.
have fun
I kind of am going down the same route. I was using the Topaz ReMask trial for masking and trying to use their main utility for layering. They told me to use Adobe Elements - version 10 or greater, that has layering in it. That is when my trial ran out. I would arrange the shot to have all the masking and layering in a single frame, and then stitch that up (for a vertical stitch). I have not thought a horizontal stitch through yet.

01-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #101

Same site, different location - New technique

I went to the same site last weekend and had around an hour to scout and shoot the night sky - This time i took 2 exposures.
I really love the O-GPS 1, when (if?) the FF comes out i hope it will work with the Astrotracer. Now looking at buying a wider lens (i use the DA 14 mm f2.8) and still waiting for the announcements on CP+ to upgrade my K5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-15-2015, 01:22 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Superb shot mgbirder !

I upgraded my K-5 with a K-5 IIs. It's worth the change. Waiting for a FF too...
01-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Superb shot mgbirder !

I upgraded my K-5 with a K-5 IIs. It's worth the change. Waiting for a FF too...
I agree. Wonderful image.

I tried my OGPS-1 in my backyard today just to see what would happen. Lots of light pollution as expected but also seeing star trails at 2 mins using the 31mm. I wonder if it is a calibration issue.
01-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried my OGPS-1 in my backyard today just to see what would happen. Lots of light pollution as expected but also seeing star trails at 2 mins using the 31mm. I wonder if it is a calibration issue.
Yes an no. Good calibration is very important, but it depends also where you are and in what direction you point.
If 2 mins is the maximum given by the camera, try 1 min 30 or 1 min 45. If no trails then go for 2 mins...
01-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yes an no. Good calibration is very important, but it depends also where you are and in what direction you point.
If 2 mins is the maximum given by the camera, try 1 min 30 or 1 min 45. If no trails then go for 2 mins...
Thanks Frederic.

The K5 suggested a max of 5 mins but it was cold and I didn't have my jacket on and I was too excited to go back and grab one.

I'm located in the southwest US and I just typically point the camera at the starriest parts of the sky. I probably need to download that iPhone app (can't remember the name) I used with the kids for star gazing.

Clear skies and very little moon tonight. Tomorrow is a non-working holiday so seems like a perfect night to drive two hours into the canyon and learn some new things.