Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

I think I screwed up!

On Cyber Monday I decided to upgrade for a K-10 to a K-5. There was a special online that I could get a body, a kit 18-55 lens, battery & charger for about $1050. But if you called in rather than ordering online there were other specials available, so I called the order in. Now I can't remember who I ordered from and I haven't been charged for it and of course NO camera. Of course when I called in on Cyber Monday, they tried to talk me into a special SD card and another battery that was $90, but I chose not to order them. Now I think maybe they just dumped my order since I didn't buy the add on's. Anybody remember who was doing the call in specials on Cyber Monday?

12-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like some sort of scam offer to me- Pentax officially lowered the price of the K-5 to $999 last monday, so $1050 for the kit lens (assuming it's not the WR one) would be quite reasonable.

Not sure we'll be able to help, as there are hundreds of shops out there...

Have you tried calling them back?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Check the call log on your phone if it has one?
Check your browser history for that date & time?
12-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
No I called on my house phone, and no log. Wish it did!

12-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #5

Usually when it's a company that tries really hard to up sell you on extra products and "specials" when you call in, they are a scam. A friend of mine once ordered a camera that way, and for over a month it never shipped because she refused any of the extras. She called back to ask what was going on, and was told point blank that because she didn't buy anything else, her order wasn't a priority, and it would probably ship sometime in the next several months. She canceled her order with a lot of wrangling and trouble, and has stayed away from these so-called "deal" sites ever since. Unless you're buying camera equipment from a well known retailer like Adorama or Amazon, you have to be really careful. Often times they are scam sites.
12-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'm leaning toward thinking it was Abes of Maine. I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they have the order on file. Thanksfully my card hasn't been charged either! I'm watching it very carefully!
12-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

if you can remember when you called you might be able to get a the phone number off your phone statement. I know Telstra (Australian telco) provides a full list of calls (numbers) and durations. might be worth a look into that.
12-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angie Wall Quote
I'm leaning toward thinking it was Abes of Maine. I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they have the order on file. Thanksfully my card hasn't been charged either! I'm watching it very carefully!
If Abes of Maine doesn't acknowledge the order, then i would immediately call my credit card company and put a hold on any expenditures. Your credit card number may not be up for sale on the internet - the first expenditure might be for something expensive that has nothing to do with a camera. Waiting for something to show up on your statement is a recipe for disaster, seems to me. Tell the credit card company to get you a new number asap and they can overnight it to you. Yikes.

12-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Abe's will try the up-sell/add-on crap, but they will usually drop it and send it without too much of a protest on your part. They are actually pretty above-board, in my experience. I would buy from them again.
12-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Abe's will try the up-sell/add-on crap, but they will usually drop it and send it without too much of a protest on your part. They are actually pretty above-board, in my experience. I would buy from them again.
Agreed. I've purchased from Abes and I'd do so again.
12-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Abe's are fine. They may try to up-sell some accessories, but they are legit. I've bought from them and even returned a lens without problems.
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Call your home telephone provider and ask for the number. You know the date and approximate time - they have the records. Just call the operator......