Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #1

What's You Dream K-5 Color?

Without a doubt Pentax offers the most color options when it comes to their DSLRs. Even their higher end models like the K-7, the K-5 and the 645D get their wonderful palette swaps.

Going back to my roots in older video games, palette swaps were cool, secretive and put a delighting spin on something familiar. I'm also an avid collector of vinyl toys. A popular character may receive as many as 4 or 5 alternative colors and be made in sets as little as 1 in 100. As rare as they are, they are highly sought after and sell several times the normal price on ebay. That's cool to me. It is exclusive, elitist, and the very best of vanity. So I ask my fellow Pentaxians: What would be your dream DSLR/K-5 color?

Me? I'd love to see a High Gloss Black K-5. The industrial and sharper edged pentaprism makes it look more like a film based SLR. No effeminate curves or dull black plastic. Just sharp and striking reflective black to collect strings of envy from your peers.

Or perhaps a Pimp Mode K-5.

12-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
What's You Dream K-5 Color?
White! The White Kx looks simply BadA** with big fat 77mm rim diameter black lenses attached to it, I can only dream how good a white K5 would look...
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black, the color a camera should be :P
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Metalflake candy-apple green.

Questions like this have arisen before. I'll repeat my prophesy: Spray-on LED technology exists. I predict that soon, many consumer products will be treated with it. The entire surface becomes a display screen. Your camera, lens, hat, shoes, wings etc can be whatever colors/patterns you want at any moment, and can be something else whenever you want, and can even by dynamic -- video on demand. My gear would look good with little space aliens battling giant ants on a blasted heath, yes it would. And what's YOUR fantasy?

12-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So many options from which to choose.....

First there is...

Then there is....

... and we can't forget about .....

This is very fetching....

and then there is the hippy cam...

We can't forget about the camo cam either.....

Can't miss this one for my SEAL and Marine RECON guys.....

There is even one for thoes that want to be a Pop Star...

There is also the Barbie Cam...

So many colors from which to choose.....

Almost forgot about Rico's special request......

...... however, for me - I tend to go with Henry Ford, whose motto was you can have any color, just as long as its black.

12-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the semi pro bodies like the K-5?

Full titanium (alloy) casing with WR of course. All bits and pieces should be engraved metal (buttons, knobs, switches...). The LCD cover should be some type of special shatter proof material. No plastic anywhere (unless it covers the LCDs) and no rubber port covers like the K-5.

Now that would be a camera I would spend quite a bit extra to buy over the standard model.

It wouldn't sit on a shelf either because that thing would be designed to go anywhere.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-04-2011 at 08:48 PM.
12-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think black would be a pretty nice option

12-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

Black.Without a doubt.I think the colored cameras look toy like and cheap and paints Pentax with a bad brush.Just my 2cents.
12-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Rocky, you made me laugh. I got that exact same attitude from a friend of mine when I said I wanted a custom paint job on my first car. He said people wouldn't take me seriously enough if I did what I wanted to. Well, I'll say the same thing to you that I said to him. "Screw that, we live in a world filled with color and if I want to paint my car in 23 different shades of puce I will! If people don't like it and can't take me seriously because of it then boohoo for them! " I was kidding about the puce, but ultimately I'm way too old to give a shiz about what other people think about the color of my camera. They want to think me less professional because my camera isn't basic black than that's their problem, their mistake, and their loss, and on that note I'd have to say what I really yearn for in a camera casing is a subtle metallic rainbow tie-dye. If they can do camouflage they can do tie dye and that look would suit me very well. I love prisms and rainbows and metallic colors and sort of a muted metal tie dye I'd just love. Not too shiny, I'm not talking chrome here, just a bit metallic but with a 60's psychedelic look that would be cool.
12-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Black that wears away to reveal brass, as God intended.
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

i want anodized metallic burnt orange with a matching grip.
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd like to see the funky colors stay among the intro-level bodies

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Titanium (the real stuff, not "silver"). Strong, feather light and doesn't get cold.....
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Black that wears away to reveal brass, as God intended.
Mmm. Yes.
12-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Black any day. Also has the most class