Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 Noise Reduction

Is the on-board noise reduction feature in the K5 as effective as photo editing software? Is it better to clean up files after the fact, or during it?

I have a book on Photoshop workflow (not with me, however) and the author seems to be suggesting that ALL post processing is best done in Photoshop/Lightroom rather than depending on the built in features in cameras.

12-05-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I would say that you can get about 90 percent as good with out of camera jpegs as long as you hit your exposure right. RAW is really helpful if you underexpose a little bit and certainly out of camera noise reduction programs (lightroom, topaz) can do a better job than the in-camera features. A lot depends on how much you want to control the final results.
12-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All noise reduction is a compromise between detail and noise, if you do it in post processing you can get the balance between the two right. If you shoot Jpeg or use the in camera noise adjustment the camera will apply noise reduction automatically, which tends not to be as finely tuned to that particular image, it's a 'one size fits all' adjustment.

Chris
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

In-camera noise reduction, and more generally in-camera processing, takes time and will slow down the time between shot. Many Pentaxians prefer to switch off all in-camera post-processing incl. NR, and later post-process the shots on computer.

In my case, I use very often Hi continuous shooting and I like to take long sequences/bursts. I switch off all in-camera PP to maximise the duration of the bursts at full rate (5.2 fpd on K-7).

Hope that the comment may help.

12-05-2011, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For best results, shoot raw and fix up your photos in PP, or worst case shoot jpeg with NR off.

For quick-and-dirty results in-camera processing is certainly usable, though.
12-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I find the in camera NR(noise reduction) can do a decent job with getting by with high ISO shooting, though it doesn't really come close to the flexibility and control you gain by applying your own NR separately. The main advantage being that external software such as plugins are much more proficient at retaining detail while reducing noise.
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I figured that post production was the way to go, if for no other reason than the level of control over the results. However, I didn't know if Pentax had found a cure for noise.

Thanks.
05-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
Is the on-board noise reduction feature in the K5 as effective as photo editing software? Is it better to clean up files after the fact, or during it?

I have a book on Photoshop workflow (not with me, however) and the author seems to be suggesting that ALL post processing is best done in Photoshop/Lightroom rather than depending on the built in features in cameras.
I agree with Adam. Shoot RAW. No in camera Noise reduction. I shoot with a K20D and above 400 ISO it is really noisy, even with the "exposing to the right technique." Try the 30day free trial of Topaz DeNoise 5 (topazlabs.com) and follow the tutorials on the website and YouTube. I am still in the trial phase of the software and am very impressed with its performance and ability to retain detail. It has some really great features that makes it stand out from the other NR programs on the market. It also beats the pants off of Photoshops NR routines. This is the first thing you will want to address before continuing on with your workflow in Photoshop. I use DXO Optics Pro 7 as my RAW converter (great program), then when I bring the TIFF into Photoshop, DeNoise is the first thing I do. My only criticism is that it is a plugin only and does not have a stand alone program. Their reasoning is that it keeps cost down for the consumer, but upgrades are free, so I guess I can live with that. Also, the K5 is so much better with noise reduction, but there are still times when one needs industrial strength NR.
I would love to get opinions from others on this subject.
Don

05-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TopazLabs DeNoise is fantastic !
05-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

With my K-5 I never touch noise reduction at ISO 400 and below. And rarely below ISO 1600. I always shoot in RAW and use either Lightroom or PS for post-processing - the level of control and the results are just superior to the JPEGs out of the camera.
05-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #11

K5 Noise Reduction

That is great to hear ENicolas. I am looking forward to purchasing that camera.