Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Is this an international warranty?
No, it is issued by Pentax Imaging in the US and only specifies US sites and sources. Sorry.

12-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I took advantage of it and ordered it from Adorama today. I don't usually get the extended warranty's as they are too expensive and I have never really needed one but $19 is pretty cheap for a couple of extra years if the need arises.
12-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Is this an international warranty?
It's not according to a Pentax representative:

"However, International Warranty applies to the first year of ownership, only, and may not be extended or renewed."

That was a response to my inquiry on the extended warranty and if it was international.
12-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
no Florida? i hate this state

12-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
Forum Member

B&H is out of stock, tried to sell me one for 300 bucks. Adorama said I had to buy at the same time, sold me one for 129. I waited several days for B&H to reply to a long call I had with them on Tuesday. They have lost a customer.
12-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I bought one with K-5 from B&H on cyber-monday. Camera arrived, but warranty was back-ordered. Then I got a notice a day or two ago that it was on its way, but they are still listed as out-of-stock on the site right now.
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
B&H is out of stock, tried to sell me one for 300 bucks. Adorama said I had to buy at the same time, sold me one for 129. I waited several days for B&H to reply to a long call I had with them on Tuesday. They have lost a customer.
Ouch.
This whole thing is insane. The very concept of a warranty being "out of stock" strikes me as grotesque. If the company is going to offer extended warranties at all, there should be a "one camera, one warranty" policy -- there shouldn't be more cameras out there than warranties for them.

12-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Ouch.
This whole thing is insane. The very concept of a warranty being "out of stock" strikes me as grotesque. If the company is going to offer extended warranties at all, there should be a "one camera, one warranty" policy -- there shouldn't be more cameras out there than warranties for them.
These are OPTIONAL extended warranties. Each Pentax camera does come with one warranty - in the US its a 1 year standard warranty and in Canada its 2 years. Most folks don't know about the Pentax extended warranty, I didn't with my K-x purchase, and hence this thread. I think B&H and Adorama were blindsided by the # of K5s they sold in a 24-48 hour period when the K5 was <$1k. The Extended Warranty is a physical card from Pentax (actually a 3 card fold-out) and they can certainly be out of those. Given that each of them is selling the warranty for $19 and Pentax Imaging, last I checked, wanted something approaching $100 I think Adorama, B&H, and Amazon are doing us a great service. I do not condone pretending these warranties do not exist, as some salemen have been reported to do, nor do I condone pushing seriously expensive 3rd party warranties in place of the Pentax Warranty.
12-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #39
Forum Member

You better hope you get it before the 90 days are up. I'm at 45 and counting.
12-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
These are OPTIONAL extended warranties.
No kidding. Yes, we know what the thread is about. Irrelevant to my point.
Most folks don't know about the Pentax extended warranty,
Right. It's a crap shoot. It shouldn't be.
The Extended Warranty is a physical card from Pentax (actually a 3 card fold-out) and they can certainly be out of those.
The Extended Warranty is an agreement. It could be extended to any purchaser without killing any extra trees. Just note the warranty on the original receipt and require the purchaser to register on line. Some shortage of printed matter doesn't need to be an issue.
I think Adorama, B&H, and Amazon are doing us a great service.
Why? They're making money on them. Or did you suppose Pentax was charging them full price and they were just eating the difference as a public service?
I do not condone pretending these warranties do not exist, as some salemen have been reported to do, nor do I condone pushing seriously expensive 3rd party warranties in place of the Pentax Warranty.
My main point is this alleged shortage of warranties makes that kind of thing too easy.
12-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #41
Forum Member

I'm more than inclined to agree, that an extended warranty should NEVER be backordered.
12-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
You better hope you get it before the 90 days are up. I'm at 45 and counting.
Did you pay for it with the camera? Do you have an invoice or receipt that is dated 45 days ago? If so, from what I can determine you are fine. They want to see the receipts and the warranty card at the time of service to verify the dates of purchase.
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
No kidding. Yes, we know what the thread is about. Irrelevant to my point.

Right. It's a crap shoot. It shouldn't be.

The Extended Warranty is an agreement. It could be extended to any purchaser without killing any extra trees. Just note the warranty on the original receipt and require the purchaser to register on line. Some shortage of printed matter doesn't need to be an issue.
Why? They're making money on them. Or did you suppose Pentax was charging them full price and they were just eating the difference as a public service?

My main point is this alleged shortage of warranties makes that kind of thing too easy.
Wow. Ok. First, no one owes you anything - period. So, its a crap shoot - that's why I didn't bitch about not finding them for my K-x but offered this thread to others so they might be able to make their own decisions. Second, "shoulds" are amazing things - I should make a million dollars a day for what I do - but then reality is a real tough task master. You DO need the paper warranty, and that's just the way it is - get over it. Third, they could sell them for $75 and still look like they are making us a deal - for a for-profit retailer to sell something at 20% of what the manufacturer retails it for is amazing to me because its pretty unheard of - be as cynical as you want but I APPRECIATE that it did not cost me ~$100.

Have a nice day.
12-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Take heed of Zahner's Law:
If you play with anything long enough, it will break.
12-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

but offered this thread to others so they might be able to make their own decisions.
Very good of you to do so.

You DO need the paper warranty, and that's just the way it is - get over it.
Then they do need to make more of them available, and I don't need to get over anything, 'cause I got mine -- but other people are being made to jump through hoops, and that's bad business.

Third, they could sell them for $75 and still look like they are making us a deal -
They're going to sell it at whatever price they think will result in more revenues. The higher the price, the fewer of them they'd sell.

Call it cynicism if you want, I don't care. I call it being a customer who's looking out for his interests. I don't see why only businesses should be entitled to look out for theirs. If I had been less "cynical" I might have swallowed that salesman's bull about there being no such thing as a Pentax warranty.

I note with some bemusement that B&H is currently listing the extended warranty (in stock) for the K-7 -- which of course they no longer sell. I don't know if that has any bearing on the question of time limits for purchasing these things. It's only $8.95, but surely they weren't still selling any K-7's as new ("new, old stock"?) less than ninety days ago? Well, the K-7 would be for another thread, I guess. I just found it odd.

Last edited by pentup; 12-09-2011 at 10:48 PM.