Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just ordered my K-5...

Read the reviews here and elsewhere and even though it's a year old, I just ordered my K-5. This is a step up from my K-7 and will be my primary camera with the K-7 serving backup duties (same lens pool).

Ordered the body only as I have a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 that I normally walk around with.

Shooting a wedding this July, so wanted to have two bodies to share lenses for that. I've love the Pentax line since using the Samsung G-10.

Anyway, will post some shots here I'm sure when I get it...

Thanks for all the help! And any tips would be appreciated.

12-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Congrats! The camera isn't much different than the K-7, except that it's got much better IQ and they added a few features- but I'm sure you saw a list of those in the review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Congrats! The camera isn't much different than the K-7, except that it's got much better IQ and they added a few features- but I'm sure you saw a list of those in the review
Now that makes it sound like I should have just bought another K-7 !!!
12-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Same here.. agree with Adam that there is just a small difference in learning curve from k-7 to k-5, but a significant improvement over image quality (less noise), metering and auto-focus; you will enjoy more... even in the high iso 1600-6400 territories, which result in more accurate and sharp focus (due to higher shutter speed) shots. Now, you can afford to be more creative and enjoy photography even more.

12-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Same here.. agree with Adam that there is just a small difference in learning curve from k-7 to k-5, but a significant improvement over image quality (less noise), metering and auto-focus; you will enjoy more... even in the high iso 1600-6400 territories, which result in more accurate and sharp focus (due to higher shutter speed) shots. Now, you can afford to be more creative and enjoy photography even more.
Now that's what I wanted to hear!!!
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations! A friend of mine said it was like coming home after having fixtures and things updated while you were away - you feel at home but its fresher and works better.
12-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The K5 is a high ISO monster, pretty much a K7 Super. Just be aware of it`s tendency to blow highlights, like white wedding dresses and chandeliers. -EV comp. is your friend.
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #8

Just upgraded from a K7 the K5 is a significant improvement

12-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now waiting for Fedex...
12-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The K5 is a high ISO monster, pretty much a K7 Super. Just be aware of it`s tendency to blow highlights, like white wedding dresses and chandeliers. -EV comp. is your friend.
That depends on how you meter; in general, I find all three k10d, k-7 and k-5 tend to underexpose to avoid clipping highlights, not the other way round.
12-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Forum Member

Congrats.
I just upgraded, myself. As you know.
The K7 sensor is completely different from the K5. My first impression was color accuracy. The K5 is uncannily color accurate.
You'll find the K5 less forgiving , also. The K5 will also expose a bad lens pretty quickly. You'll find that you can underexpose and " push" the k5 images with relative ease.
Optimally , this is not what you want to do, obviously. But you can save a very very badly under exposed image and actually turn it into a thing of beauty.

Be sure to get a grip for it.
My friend Gary H, sent me a grip for mine.
Couldn't believe it.
It's an aftermarket grip, but I really REALLY like it and I LOVE the way it makes the camera look.
I've gotten use to it............and now I'll never be gripless again.
12-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
Congrats.
I just upgraded, myself. As you know.
The K7 sensor is completely different from the K5. My first impression was color accuracy. The K5 is uncannily color accurate.
You'll find the K5 less forgiving , also. The K5 will also expose a bad lens pretty quickly. You'll find that you can underexpose and " push" the k5 images with relative ease.
Optimally , this is not what you want to do, obviously. But you can save a very very badly under exposed image and actually turn it into a thing of beauty.

Be sure to get a grip for it.
My friend Gary H, sent me a grip for mine.
Couldn't believe it.
It's an aftermarket grip, but I really REALLY like it and I LOVE the way it makes the camera look.
I've gotten use to it............and now I'll never be gripless again.
Make and model of the grip?
12-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
That depends on how you meter; in general, I find all three k10d, k-7 and k-5 tend to underexpose to avoid clipping highlights, not the other way round.
I mainly use multi segment and generally have to dial in -0.7 EV to keep things under control.
12-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Make and model of the grip?
I highly recommend the original D-BG4 grip.
Here is some light reading. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82642-pentax-k7-3r...y-grip-15.html
15 pages worth.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-09-2011 at 06:56 AM.
12-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I highly recommend the original D-BG4 grip.
Here is some light reading. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82642-pentax-k7-3r...y-grip-15.html
15 pages worth.
Looking that over... Quite frankly, I've never had need of a grip with my old Samsung or the K-7.

It fits just fine in my hand in portrait or landscape... and the battery life is amazing anyway. I've looked... many times... but then always come back to rather having that cash than the grip