Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #1

K-5 broke my flash

I own 2 Pentax cameras, old istDS and new K-5. I have been happily using this Exacta flash with my istDS

PRAKTICA: Flash Units[showUid]=53&cHash=2a9bb1c188

But when I connected the flash to my K-5, something odd happened (see the video, which is not mine) and after that my flash did not work anymore with istDS. The same strobo behavior like with K-5. What is wrong with K-5 . My flash was ok. No false voltages.

12-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's telling you that you should hold a rave party...
That is very odd. I sure wouldn't be happy if this happens to my Metz!
12-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the hidden Police Mode has been awakened by the K-5.

Seriously, third party flashes are reversed engineered so it is quite possible they won't communicate properly with new cameras.
12-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well Metz had to change firmware to work with new body's (K-7 and new with K-5) so it is not strange that old flashes wont work on those new camera's. It is a pitty, but not so strange in this new world of electronics.

12-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with the Praktica flash, but I see from the specs that it is a TTL flash (though it does mention digital cameras) while the K5 is a pTTL camera, and I may be wrong, but I think the *istDS still uses the TTL system. pTTL is not necessarily a backwards compatible system, though some flashes can do both.

When you turn the meter on with a flash on the hotshoe, pTTL cameras try to communicate the focal length, and aperture to the flash. It will also communicate the shutter speed, and check to see if the flash is in HSS mode. All this communication goes on before you fully press the shutter to fire the preflash and the subsequent main flash. It is possible that the TTL flash can't interpret all these commands. It's also possible that all that flashing burned out the circuitry Do you have a safe sync or a wireless trigger that you can use to test the flash?