Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how is the video overheating/duration on the K-5?

With the K-7, in spite of the updated Firmware, the camera would overheat if using video longer than several minutes.

Also, is the length of video capped on the K-5 -- around 20 minutes or so?

Finally, does it use the same Motion JPG codec (which can be hard to find/license for editing purposes)

12-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the length limit and format is the same, as far as overheating goes I don't think it's as severe as the sensor is newer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Again time to attrackt some traffick to my youtube channel

So I set up my camera next to the volleyball field to do a durationtest with the camera. Settings where all auto, 1280x720 and one star quality to get a maximum duration in movielenght. Did a few short clips before this one and total movie lenght would be very close to one hour. During the second set the red overheat alert went on, but didn't stop the camera from filming.

The first set:

The second set:
12-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Anybody know similar real-world specs on the K-r?

12-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
During the second set the red overheat alert went on, but didn't stop the camera from filming.
No danger of damage to the camera in that circumstance? I thought it was supposed to shut down automatically when overheating.
12-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
No danger of damage to the camera in that circumstance? I thought it was supposed to shut down automatically when overheating.
Never did find anything that would say that the camera wasn't performing okay after that. I sold this camerabody after almost 55.000 actuations on the shutter and replaced it with a new K-5 with cashback.