Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a few 50's

Super Tak 50 1.4 is probably my favourite
the M50 1.7 I have 2 (and spent no more than $16 on them) by far the best value 50 out there
A little bigger the Super tak 55 1.8 is a fine lens

the most i spent on any of these was $25 (the 50 1.4) hunt around and you'll find deals. mine came from junk shops, portobello market, and as part of bundles on craigslist and flea bay

Old fast 50's are the best value lenses on the market. even the mediocre ones like the k55 2.0 are pretty good

01-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #17

Original Poster
Pentax M 50mm F1.7 colors

I want to thank all the people that took the time to post here. It was appreciated.

I ended up buying a Pentax M 50mm F1.7. It's a beautiful lens. It's a whole different experience shooting with it (great link: Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs robertsdonovan.com). And I noticed something. It seems to be cooler than both my Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM and Tamron SP 28-75mm F/2.8, which both seem to share the same color characteristics. Have other users found this to be the case as well?
01-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
Forum Member

I have that lens aswell, paid 41 bucks on ebay, and i feel it was a good buy. I'm a new shooter, and i've used it mostly for people or my dog, which 99% of the time ends up being B/W, or for shooting stars, so i won't comment on the color-rendition, i don't think i have anything sensible to say about it. My biggest problem with the 50 is that i find it hard to focus at f1.7, but i am becoming better with it, especially since i turned off the annoying red dot and started trusting my eyes instead of the green focus confirmation hexagon. My keeper-rate isn't exactly sky high, but when i do get it right, it's very sharp. I really like it, but i find i use my M 28mm 2.8 more, perhaps because it's easier to nail the focus with that one. Come to think about it, i generally warm the colors of my starshots taken with the 50, so perhaps you are right.