Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #1

Composition Adjsutment, huh?

I purchased a K-5 about a month ago, and feel pretty competent with all its features at this point, except Composition Adjustment, even after reading the manual.

Can someone please explain exactly what it is, and how and when one would use it?

12-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If your camera is on a tripod you can still shift the sensor a little to "adjust the composition".
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
why not just move the camera? i can't imagine that you could use the Comp Adjust to change the composition significantly enough to notice. we're talking millimeters here, right?
12-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a few degrees of rotation or a tiny bit of movement yeah, I'm not overly sure why it's there, but my tripod head kinda sucks so it's useful every now and then. Just a way to show off the capabilities of the in body SR really.

12-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If your camera is on a tripod you can still shift the sensor a little to "adjust the composition".
Does the sensor tilt as well? I think you could have fun shifting the sensor around to get a feel for what a shift lens might do for the image. Mount a full frame lens on the K-5, the coverage circle should be more than adequate for the maximum shift possible.
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the sensor in the K-5 and K-r can tilt a bit, as this would be how it works with the GPS unit to get the 5 minute tracking of stellar bodies and such. I don't think there's any way to use it for tilt shift type stuff though.
12-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Does the sensor tilt as well? I think you could have fun shifting the sensor around to get a feel for what a shift lens might do for the image. Mount a full frame lens on the K-5, the coverage circle should be more than adequate for the maximum shift possible.
Unfortunately, no. You can only shift up-down, left-right and rotate.

12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you don't have a higher end head, it can be difficult to get the camera into the perfectly desired position, so this could come in handy, especially for something like macro work where making small shifts of the camera can result in big changes compositionally.

Toe Excanonfd - yes, it does in fact move then sensor, as it takes advantage of the shake reduction movement (which is recommended to be turned off on a tripod); as was noted this is the same shifting that is used for the GPS astro tracking feature, although it doesn't rotate as with the gps tracking.
12-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I didn't think there would be tilt but how much can the sensor move in each direction (maximum)?
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used this once - especially doing some macro work on K7 - where a small shift in camera can produce big shift in composition.

This link is what I relied on when I looked into this feature -

Pentax K-7 Sensor shift (Composition adjust) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
I used this once - especially doing some macro work on K7 - where a small shift in camera can produce big shift in composition.

I'm new here so take me with a grain of salt.

I do quite a bit of macro work. The suggestion that the composition tool enhances macro work, may be so when photographing a still subject off a tripod.
I would think it's better suited for landscape work, or possibly some studio work.

On subjects that are small and constantly moving, the feature is utterly useless for macro work. So is a tripod.
Focus rails may come in handy from time to time, but not very often.

The image below is some kind of bug, I have no idea what it is.
It was shot in a position that a tripod can't go. He's on a blade of grass at ground level.
12-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a leafhopper nymph. Great shot, and I'll have to read up on the composition adjustment.
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks

It's nice to see that someone read my blog post

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote

01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Its more for really fine fine-tuning. You can just move the tripod really but if its too hard you can use composition adjust. I guess its just one of those features pentax put in to take advantage of the SR allowing the sensor to move. Some of it is really useful like horizon correction which is great for hand held.

Last edited by Verglace; 02-01-2012 at 03:26 AM.
02-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
one fine application of this is that you can use it as a digital shift lens to some extent .....nice feature

to illustrate it...here's the photo made quickly from 4 stitched images using sensor shift - red rectangle shows original image, so you can see how much area sensor shift can add
all photos taken with da 70 - landscape shot with some 28mm lens would be better example, but i was lazy to get out to make a proof
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by vrrattko; 02-02-2012 at 03:07 AM.