Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
After reading all the comments, I'm starting to build my own list of improvements. Things that I see and go "hu... I could use that!"

1: dual SD slots

2: flippy/rotating LCD with higher resolution

3: More AF points

4: Faster/Dual core CPU's. Mostly for in camera editing and processing

5: Less noise at 1600+ (I'm happy with 800- abilities)

6: I would like the view finder to be WR. I keep getting dust in there for some reason.

7: Longer video recording time

8: More control in video mode

12-09-2011, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

not much improvement needed... may be price drop a little more, then, I will add another one.

I am not too keen on these features on the k-5 successor:
-dual SD cards (add bulkiness to the body, rather see this implemented in the grip)
-articulated screen (more prone to break, rather see this implemented in lower end model)
12-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
9. Auto lens calibration of the PDAF using the CDAF of the camera..
This is pretty brilliant!
12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Any of the following three reasons

A lotto 649 win

Either my K-r or my wife's K10D being lost, stolen or broken. Plans are more than likely to buy the K5 replacement's replacement. Not because the next camera will not be good but simply it will fit into our time frame better.

A sudden change in what I like to shoot and abandoning MF and LF and shooting only digital to accomplish that.

I am sure that it will have lots of good new features but at the end of the day my monies only go so far and with 14 year old cars and 99 year old house it is hard to say either of the Pentaxs NEED to be replaced.

12-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
9. Auto lens calibration of the PDAF using the CDAF of the camera.
Brilliant idea.
12-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

While there are many little things I feel could be improved on the K-5, there are only two I can think of that would make me likely to upgrade:

Uncrippled mount. (And obviously, firmware that uses it intelligently.)
A better VF. (Probably hard without a bigger sensor, but a good hybrid (absolutely not EVF only) could be something.)
12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
full frame
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This is not a FF thread, it's what should be change to the K-5, We have enought FF thread
Without FF, the answer is: I can see no reason to move from the K20D unless mine breaks. I don't need to shoot video with a dSLR. I'm not really bothered by lack of super-high-ISO performance. My K20D keeps me plenty busy as-is. Uncrippling the mount would be real nice. A swivel VF would be real nice. But FF is the deal-maker.

12-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

FF. Im ok with k7 for now.
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Features that would push me to buy a new camera?

Continued advances in autofocus, high-ISO, and shake reduction. Eventually, the march of technology will enable things like night wildlife photography using "normal" prosumer gear. Bats and owls in flight for everyone! (fast lenses may still have their place for controlling DOF but we won't need them due to lighting or lack thereof)

Built-in astrotracer capability.

More DR.

Automatic lens calibration is a good idea. I never thought of that before reading this thread.
12-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Really i'm hoping to last until there is a FF but the following (mind you I want all this on a FF too)

1: dual SD slots - or 1 SD and one of the new XQD slots (very fast card)

2: un-crippled K and M42 moubnts

3: More AF points

4: Faster/Dual core CPU's. with updated prime engine

5: Bigger OVF

6: Fast lens Split Screen /Prism option to take advantage of the Bigger OVF

7: More control in video mode

I imagine if we see XQD cards it would be in a FF not apsc. next gen 645D needs the faster processor new Prime engine and faster cards as well. Finer Af control would benefit the 645d as well for some work
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
1: dual SD slots - or 1 SD and one of the new XQD slots (very fast card)

I imagine if we see XQD cards it would be in a FF not apsc. next gen 645D needs the faster processor new Prime engine and faster cards as well. Finer Af control would benefit the 645d as well for some work
Well why I asked for UHS-I support that in the next year gets SanDisk PRO cards SDXC with 95 MB/s writespeed, wich is 4 times faster then we currently use in K-5/645D. So how much faster do we need, before the processor is again the thing that needs an upgrade. Those new, big and fast cards are very expensive.

I think that XQD will be the downgrade path for CF cards to save space and not for ugrade path for Pentax.
12-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

XQD is supposed to be capable of 600/mbs but initially will release at 125/mbs looks like a more sturdy design as well. Sd is one of the things that always bugged me about Pentax but it did allow small size. XQD is slightly thicker but still small
12-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Full manual video with a multimedia grip - XLR inputs, audio monitoring, etc...
+1...better video is why I've held off on the K-5 because I want something w/ full manual.

dual SD slots

more and smaller AF points

More buttons on body (I use the bracketing button and AF point repositioning enough that the K-5 would bug me).

And the biggie for me: USB 3.0! You need that to tether effectively because USB 2.0 is just too slow now.

You guys do realize that there's probably a 99% probability that the next sensor is the 24MP NEX-7 sensor, yes?
It'd be the logical choice for Pentax. There are no rumors of an inexpensive FF chip...Samsung isn't really doing much so nothing from there and that partnership is dead.
12-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
+1...better video is why I've held off on the K-5 because I want something w/ full manual.
Same here. I'd also love to have an uncrippled K-mount.